Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Evening all :) I've never really listened to Radiohead before, only know the more well known songs (i.e. creep, karma police, no surprises, high & dry etc), all of which I really like.

I'm interested in listening to more, but I'm finding the sheer about of music a bit daunting! I don't really know where to start! Can anyone recommend to me their top 10-15 'must listen to' songs? Or maybe what album should I listen to first? 

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, DeeplyBopper said:

Evening all :) I've never really listened to Radiohead before, only know the more well known songs (i.e. creep, karma police, no surprises, high & dry etc), all of which I really like.

I'm interested in listening to more, but I'm finding the sheer about of music a bit daunting! I don't really know where to start! Can anyone recommend to me their top 10-15 'must listen to' songs? Or maybe what album should I listen to first? 

Cheers!

Pablo Honey

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeeplyBopper said:

Cheers!

Considering it looks like they're currently playing a fair bit from OK Computer what with it being the anniversary along with it widely being regarded as their masterpiece/one of the greatest albums of all time, I'd say start there. If you like that, report back (or just listen to In Rainbows and Kid A, their other masterpieces).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Fair enough, but I'm not wasting a downvote when there are people wrong on the Internet I can mildly admonish.

that's wise... someone might claim incorrect time signatures for Pyramid Song, and I wouldn't be ready.

43 minutes ago, DeeplyBopper said:

Cheers!

Agree with the OK Computer suggestions, though I'd follow it up with In Rainbows personally. 

For a different slant on it and going back to your original post, ten fairly easy to get into tracks that you've not mentioned that I'd recommended would be;

Burn The Witch. Present Tense. Bodysnatchers. Weird Fishes. Jigsaw Falling Into Place. There There.  2+2=5. Everything In It's Right Place. Optimistic. Let Down.

41 minutes ago, DeeplyBopper said:

Cheers!

I definitely echo @donkeykong's suggestion - when I'm looking to 'get into' bands I usually draft up a Spotify playlist of some of their recent setlists, give it a few run throughs and see what some of the stand out tracks are. 

I'd recommend setlist from Lollapalooza Berlin last year: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2016/treptower-park-berlin-germany-73fc461d.html. It features of bunch of their most popular tracks but has a nice range too - apart from Amnesiac, a song from every album is featured. If that appears too tedious I'd recommend diving straight into The Bends and OK Computer.

Based on the tracks you enjoyed I'd recommend the following (any excuse for a list!): The Bends, Street Spirit (Fade Out), Lucky, There There and Reckoner.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Hmm. Musically this is brilliant, but Thom's delivery... how do I put this...? I know he's never had perfect pitch but I'm sure the "loose" songs were confined to a couple of the energetic ones like Idioteque etc.., and there were plenty of stunning vocal performances in amongst it, but if you try watching that video in the boots of a non-fan, checking them out for the first time on TV... I think it'd be hard to be anything other than critical of the vocal performance, would it not? I mean, I don't know if he struggles to sing now, or whether he's just choosing to deliver the songs in a not-entirely-serious manner. I mean it's no Ian Brown to be fair. DISCLAIMER: Only watched it to the end of There There so might have missed some awesome stuff in the encore.

Or is it just me? I've got to say I'm still rather looking forward to this!

I see where you're coming from. I do remember thinking during Climbing up the Walls that the vocals were sang pretty "loose" as put it. I couldn't decide whether it was intentional especially with some of the lyrics or characters he's portraying. Then again I would say that haha.  

But it is odd, I think if you can see during that gig that he is able to sing the vocally difficult songs then a case can be made for there being some level of intention there. 

11 hours ago, ericlered said:

They played The Numbers instead of Exit Music. 

Aha, cheers.

11 hours ago, donkeykong said:

Might be worth having a look here and picking some of those that are being played a lot at the moment (set lists top link, tour stats bottom link). Otherwise, Kid A is my favourite album. Others will say In Rainbows, OK Computer or The Bends. Any of these would be a good place to start

http://www.setlist.fm/search?query=Radiohead

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/radiohead-bd6bd12.html?tour=A+Moon+Shaped+Pool

I feel obliged to point out that the Glastonbury 2017 Spotify playlist features the 5 songs most played at recent shows for Radiohead and all the other live acts playing the festival (excluding some of the smallest stages).