Football 16-17

kaosmark2

17 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

1) No one thinks Leicester can defend their title? 

No one does. :lol:

They've managed to hang on to more of their players than I thought would be the case, so who knows, really? I don't think it's impossible they'll be in the mix but it's hard not to view last season as a one-off, especially with all of the 'fairytale' narrative that went alongside it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I found something from March 2015 which said 5 from the last 18 had been relegated. Add the last 2 seasons that's 8 from 24 which is about what I thought. Also 2 seasons when all 3 survived.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Two of you have gone for this...

But isn't it (I'm not sure) the case that at least two of the promoted have always gone down again?

(If it's not 'always', then it's certainly most of the time. )

Wasn't the case last season :P

I've already decided to change my prediction from Spurs in 5th to Liverpool in 5th. Forgot that Liverpool don't have Europe and I'm not sure how well Spurs will do with the added commitment; their depth isn't great.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Wasn't the case last season :P

I've already decided to change my prediction from Spurs in 5th to Liverpool in 5th. Forgot that Liverpool don't have Europe and I'm not sure how well Spurs will do with the added commitment; their depth isn't great.

Fairly sure you play less games in the champions league than you you do in Europa (I might be wrong) especially if you consider the chances of going far in each. Spurs coped fine with Europa - the only difficulty lies in getting the rotations right. I don't think Kane played much in Europa last year whereas I imagine he will be expected to play in most games this year. 

23 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Fairly sure you play less games in the champions league than you you do in Europa (I might be wrong) especially if you consider the chances of going far in each. Spurs coped fine with Europa - the only difficulty lies in getting the rotations right. I don't think Kane played much in Europa last year whereas I imagine he will be expected to play in most games this year. 

Haha I completely forgot they had Europa last season. They did play a bunch of nobodies in the Europa when it got to crunch time in the league, though. But I guess they could do the same this year, and they're also unlikely to get as far in the competition this year.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

But isn't it (I'm not sure) the case that at least two of the promoted have always gone down again?

1-2 almost always. I think 0 is more common than 3.

Utd
City
Chelsea
Arsenal 
Spurs
Liverpool
West Ham
Leicester
Everton
Southampton 
Stoke
Sunderland 
Boro
Watford
Palace
Swansea
WBA
Bournemouth
Burnley
Hull

if I'm honest, I think we (Leicester) would be having a great season finishing there. I'd be super happy to finish mid table and get to a cup semi or get out of champs league group. :)

Edited by thegremlin_1999

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

44% of newly promoted teams have gone straight back down since the start of the Premiership. All three have been relegated on two occasions and all three have stayed up on two occasions.

So....errrr.... one and a half of them are defo going back down. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Stuielooie said:

1. Man Utd

2. Man City

3. Chelsea

4. Spurs

5. West Ham

6. Liverpool

7. Leicester

8. Arsenal

I think Arsenal are going to do a spurs this season. Unless they sign a decent CB and a world class striker.

Arsenal dropping from 2nd to 8th after signing Xhaka, losing no one, being the only top team without a manager change and having the most settled squad out of any of the teams you mention...

3 places below West Ham United...

23 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Arsenal dropping from 2nd to 8th after signing Xhaka, losing no one, being the only top team without a manager change and having the most settled squad out of any of the teams you mention...

I'm trying to not be biased. I might be slightly biased............

I think 4th max.

59 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Standing still is going backwards....

....but agree as low as 8th is unlikely. 

OK, so as an ignorant Scotsman, who doesn't really support an English team, I thought I'd go with a somewhat different set of predictions...

Here goes

1: Arsenal

2: Leicester

3: West Ham

4: Liverpool

5: Man U

6: Everton

18: Southampton

19: Swansea

20: Watford