Football 16-17

kaosmark2

11 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Allardyce is a twat - nothing new there obviously 

have just seen the BBC report that "hopes are high under new manager Alladyce". It made me laugh.

I don't really think anyone is expecting anything better than from Woy, tho I guess there's a feeling that it couldn't be much worse.

Me, I'll point out what I've been saying for over a decade, that when England qualify well for a tournament their tournament performance is crap, and vice-versa.

So our best chance is for Sam to be a bit crap. :P

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The premiership sides who competed with under 23 teams today should be ashamed of themselves.

Why should they?

That's what the new rules of the competition say they should do, as far as i'm aware. Before now it didn't include Prem or Champs teams, but they've opened it to them, specifically for their 'development squads'.

45 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Why should they?

That's what the new rules of the competition say they should do, as far as i'm aware. Before now it didn't include Prem or Champs teams, but they've opened it to them, specifically for their 'development squads'.

I feel it takes away from the whole purpose of the tournament which is for smaller teams to fight it out with the carrot being a trip to Wembley for the last 2. Having watched Wrexham in the final it's a fantastic day and nobody will convince me that sticking Everton under 21 would make it better.

I never once heard a lower league fans claim that the way to improve the tournament was to invite developmental squads from bigger teams. I'm glad that a lot of the fans voted with their feet in opposition to these contrived changes.

46 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I feel it takes away from the whole purpose of the tournament which is for smaller teams to fight it out with the carrot being a trip to Wembley for the last 2. Having watched Wrexham in the final it's a fantastic day and nobody will convince me that sticking Everton under 21 would make it better.

I never once heard a lower league fans claim that the way to improve the tournament was to invite developmental squads from bigger teams. I'm glad that a lot of the fans voted with their feet in opposition to these contrived changes.

Agree with you PT. There was talk a couple of years back about allowing Rangers and Celtic " colt " teams into the lower leagues up here. Apart from the " baggage " these teams would have brought off the park, why would I want to go and watch my team help to develop ( while getting beaten by ) their reserves. With budgets etc these colt teams would have waltzed the lower leagues.

Anywayz, saw Ayr get their first point of the season on Saturday. Pretty poor stuff and denied a much needed 3 points by a last minute St Mirren goal :(.

Long season ahead. 3rd bottom looking a big ask but fingers crossed.

47 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I feel it takes away from the whole purpose of the tournamen

the whole purpose of the tournament appears to be something different from what you're believing. It's been specifically changed to include Prem "development squads" from the little I've read of it.

Remember, this wasn't a tournament where the small teams met the big teams until now anyway - so it cannot be the case that anything at all has been "taken away" from the tournament. It's always been a tournament that's been specifically designed to give smaller teams the chance of winning something, precisely because they won't get battered by the 'top' teams.

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That's a different thing.

The fact is that the rules have been changed, inviting Prem "development squads" to play in it - and so those Prem clubs have nothing to be ashamed of by following the rules.

If there's any shame about this, the shame is within that rule change and not with clubs following the rule change.

I've no idea who pushed for that rule change, tho given that it's a competition in the control of the FA and not the Prem I'd guess it was those lower league clubs who wanted the bigger clubs involved in some manner.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the whole purpose of the tournament appears to be something different from what you're believing. It's been specifically changed to include Prem "development squads" from the little I've read of it.

Remember, this wasn't a tournament where the small teams met the big teams until now anyway - so it cannot be the case that anything at all has been "taken away" from the tournament. It's always been a tournament that's been specifically designed to give smaller teams the chance of winning something, precisely because they won't get battered by the 'top' teams.

There is certainly potential for something to be taken away from the lower league clubs, if a team like Everton under 23 gets to the final, thats a space taken from a lower league club

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The fact is that the rules have been changed, inviting Prem "development squads" to play in it - and so those Prem clubs have nothing to be ashamed of by following the rules.

If there's any shame about this, the shame is within that rule change and not with clubs following the rule change.

I've no idea who pushed for that rule change, tho given that it's a competition in the control of the FA and not the Prem I'd guess it was those lower league clubs who wanted the bigger clubs involved in some manner.

That would suggest premiership clubs have had no say in implementing these new rules.  They have been desperate to try and get their B teams/youth teams in to an English competition for years, if this opens the door then where next?  Im sure the league cup, Fa cup and football league are all on their radar. They use their financial power to push through the rules that they want, as they did with changing the rules to get lower league academy players on the cheap.  Again Im glad that the fans of league 1 and league 2 clubs have boycotted the tournament in significant numbers and hope the message will be heard.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That would suggest premiership clubs have had no say in implementing these new rules.

I'm not trying to pretend it's the case. They wouldn't be in the comp if they couldn't see some benefit from it (presumably more 'real' matches for their youngsters). I was simply pointing out that Prem teams can't be the ones who drove the rule change because it's not in their power.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Again Im glad that the fans of league 1 and league 2 clubs have boycotted the tournament in significant numbers and hope the message will be heard.

If that's what they want to do, I've no problem with it.

But, it's not the Prem teams who have caused (in your mind and those fans minds) the 'cock-up' of including those Prem teams. It's the clubs those fans are fans of.

Your rant at the Prem teams was mis-placed. That, from the facts, was my only point.

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The purpose of the tournament has changed. 

Unsurprisingly for the worse. 

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

. I was simply pointing out that Prem teams can't be the ones who drove the rule change because it's not in their power.

The premiership redistribute to the lower leagues for youth development. It's why they were able to blackmail the football league to accept less money for academy players. Where there is money, there is power. I would be amazed if this move was not initiated by the premiership, they are desperate to get their foot in the door with these b teams.

Of course the football league clubs didn't have to vote in the changes, but the premiership hold the cards to force them to vote.

5 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

The purpose of the tournament has changed. 

Unsurprisingly for the worse. 

I'm not sure what the true purpose is now. I can't see how the premiership teams will get much benefit, my suspicion is they see it as a foot in the door to one day get in the football league

5 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Hart to Torino is I think a very good move. 

It's good if he is willing to embrace the culture. I suspect he was hoping for better, but the trouble is there isn't huge demand for first team keepers.

47 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm not sure what the true purpose is now. I can't see how the premiership teams will get much benefit, my suspicion is they see it as a foot in the door to one day get in the football league

It's good if he is willing to embrace the culture. I suspect he was hoping for better, but the trouble is there isn't huge demand for first team keepers.

Top flight teams get to test their kids out against men's teams whilst still being able to give them their own training and coaching (which is the downside to loaning the kids out to lower league clubs). 

Well Hart wouldn't have been hoping for worse <_<

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

There is certainly potential for something to be taken away from the lower league clubs, if a team like Everton under 23 gets to the final, thats a space taken from a lower league club

That would suggest premiership clubs have had no say in implementing these new rules.  They have been desperate to try and get their B teams/youth teams in to an English competition for years, if this opens the door then where next?  Im sure the league cup, Fa cup and football league are all on their radar. They use their financial power to push through the rules that they want, as they did with changing the rules to get lower league academy players on the cheap.  Again Im glad that the fans of league 1 and league 2 clubs have boycotted the tournament in significant numbers and hope the message will be heard.

They've done a similar thing up here in the Scottish challenge cup. But instead of under 23's it's premier clubs under 20's. Like your situation there has been a mixed reception. 

The good news is that after a couple of rounds all but Celtic have been knocked out.y team has appointed for 2-kilmarnock & partick thistle.

12 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

"Peach" is pushing it a bit. Decent finish granted, but think you're letting your emotions judge that one

Ah come on. We're still seeing Gazzas goal against Scotland 20 years later. Not massively different. Bit further out granted.

But yeah, would've taken a tap in last night.

Edited by The Nal

8 hours ago, lost said:

Me too. Think we dodged a bullet there but time will tell.

I don't think anyone doubts he's talented, but he spends far more time bigging himself up than he does putting any effort in on the pitch. His antics this window have been farcical.