kaosmark2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Klopp, and him having a pre-season, and no Europe to affect their league campaign. 

Yeah I just meant excitement that seems to be appearing on the back of yesterday's match. I understand why people are excited about their chances in general.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

wenger buys another midfielder when it's players for the other part of the pitch he needs seems a rather familiar story.

34 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I think they do need a midfielder - no idea whether Xhaka is the answer mind. 

Yeah they needed a CM, especially after losing Arteta and Flamini this Summer (obviously neither had important roles by the end but they added depth).

Xhaka is a deep lying playmaker like Arteta was, but with added defensive capabilities. When, for example, Ramsey plays alongside Coquelin, he has to drop deep because Coquelin doesn't have the technical ability to dictate play from deep. Now if he plays alongside Xhaka instead, he'll be free to stay higher up the pitch and perform a similar role to that which he played the other year when he was the best player in the league (not that I expect him to reach those same heights).

It also gives them the option of deploying a more solid CM pairing of Xhaka and Coquelin in games where their defence will be tested more.

However, having said all this, it was probably less important than signing a CB, striker and winger.

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

for about 20 minutes yesterday they got their shit properly together, in a similar way to how they managed at times last season and which - if they kept it up for more of the game, and cut out their many defensive flaws - suggests they could be a VERY decent team.

Personally i'm not really expecting the improvements but you never know I guess .... but I talked about the game yesterday being exciting, and not about top skills.

That's fair, I guess. But for half of the game they were very poor. I can see inconsistency being their downfall again this season.

6 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

But for half of the game they were very poor. I can see inconsistency being their downfall again this season.

oh, they were dreadful in the first half - tho Arsenal looked much like a team just back from holiday too. None of the teams over the weekend really looked like they'd landed yet.

And yep, I can't see their frailties at the back getting sorted anytime soon, tho I'm half-hopeful that they might find a bit more consistency at the front than they managed for much of last season, cos when they're good they're really good (but they're not that often enough).

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

supposedly they're coming for Andy Carrol with the money.

Yeah I'd heard that. 

I think we'd be willing to sell if the price was met...but only if a better alternative is in place. Which will be the bigger stumbling block I reckon. 

16 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I get the impression Benteke isn't keen. 

I'm not entirely sure that's right. I defo read something a month or so back that suggested he'd take it to get regular games if he was out of Klopp's plans.

I've read stuff several times saying that Liverpool are insisting on getting the money they paid for him, and have knocked back slightly lower offers on that basis (including from Palace), so perhaps that's it?

3 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I really like Bolasie, big strong fast and skillful - just needs to add end product. There's not many wingers in the league that full backs would rather not play against. Money seems par to me. 

"Just needs to add end product"

Thats a pretty big issue to my mind!

He's 27 too, hardly a kid that's likely to come on in leaps and bounds. 

I read somewhere that the 2 favourites for Hart's signature are Everton, replacement for Howard and... Liverpool, which I find odd. Granted Karius has been ruled out for a few months with a broken hand but having Karius, Mignolet and Hart seems a bit excessive to me.

I do agree with the point above that foreign managers wouldn't really want Hart. They seem to like the more technical keepers.

3 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I read somewhere that the 2 favourites for Hart's signature are Everton, replacement for Howard and... Liverpool, which I find odd. Granted Karius has been ruled out for a few months with a broken hand but having Karius, Mignolet and Hart seems a bit excessive to me.

I do agree with the point above that foreign managers wouldn't really want Hart. They seem to like the more technical keepers.

Hes not really one of those modern goalies who can play ball so his options are limited.