Download 2017

Hart Attack

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even as an avid Biffy fan I am a bit dubious about their reception at Download following their performance last night

The new album has definitely affected the pace of their show, by the end the gig was beginning to feel as if it was dragging on. Plus they didn't seem to be as disciplined of a live act as they usually are, there were a few mistakes and duff chords littered throughout the set, Brand New absolutely blew them out the water in all honesty

It was still thoroughly enjoyable but if they do perform to the same standard at Download I can't imagine that they'll make many converts

3 minutes ago, rawaudioinput said:

Even as an avid Biffy fan I am a bit dubious about their reception at Download following their performance last night

The new album has definitely affected the pace of their show, by the end the gig was beginning to feel as if it was dragging on. Plus they didn't seem to be as disciplined of a live act as they usually are, there were a few mistakes and duff chords littered throughout the set, Brand New absolutely blew them out the water in all honesty

It was still thoroughly enjoyable but if they do perform to the same standard at Download I can't imagine that they'll make many converts

It's good to see a genuine option. As much as I've considered a day ticket for Saturday I honestly question them doing it on the back of this album, it's probably the only place that offered them it mind. R&L is a much different place to pull it off and it wasn't a great show at Download 12 tbh.

Nah. Not having that about Biffy. They were as good as ever last night. I think by the time Download comes around they will drop a few of the newer tracks from Ellipsis in favour of some older, heavier tracks. It was awesome to see Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave in the setlist! 

Whilst I don't think that they blew them out of the water whatsoever, I agree that Brand New were stunning last night. Really, really great. 

3 hours ago, rawaudioinput said:

Some of the Ellipsis songs didn't go down particularly well either, the crowd response to Wolves of Winter was very, very subdued for an opener

Interestingly it was the poppier tracks that went down better, but I doubt many of those going wild for Howl will be attending Download

Thing is Biffy is still a very young crowd and poppies tracks bring singalongs I guess. 

1 hour ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

I think Biffy are smart enough to tailor a set towards the Download crowd. 

Well you would think that for their 2012 sub set and that's probably the worse I saw them and I don't dislike them btw, although Ellipsis was terrible.

I see why people believe Biffy Clyro can emulate how Muse approached their headline set a couple years ago, however Muse had the advantage of having a heavy album to promote and the ability to lean on their two heaviest albums that coincided with their commercial breakthrough

I imagine that an Origin of Symmetry-dense set is far more festival friendly than an Infinity Land/Vertigo of Bliss one

There's enough heavier stuff draped across Puzzle and Opposites to give it some welly - but they definitely will need to cater their Setlist a la Muse. 

I'm a very big Biffy man, but I'd wager that this very well could be their final major UK festival headline slot. Album number eight, in a few years time, needs to do better business than this one to justify it, I guess.

Actually I just dreamt up a setlist and it works really well, ignore everything I've said previously

Wolves of Winter
That Golden Rule
Who's Got a Match?
Biblical
Saturday Superhouse
Bubbles
Folding Stars
In the Name of the Wee Man
Semi-Mental
Mountains
On a Bang
9/15ths
Living Is a Problem Because Everything Dies
Machines
Animal Style
Many of Horror
There's No Such Thing as a Jaggy Snake
Stress on the Sky
The Captain

Glitter and Trauma
Eradicate the Doubt
Stingin' Belle

I'd love that setlist above. I also came up with one earlier that I think would go down well at Download. 

1. Wolves of Winter 
2. Living Is a Problem... 
3. Sounds Like Balloons
4. Biblical 
5. 57 
6. Howl
7. In The Name of The Wee Man 
8. Justboy
9. Bubbles
10. Who's Got a Match?
11. Black Chandelier
12. Friends and Enemies 
13. That Golden Rule 
14. Folding Stars 
15. Re-Arrange 
16. Glitter and Trauma 
17. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
18. Different People 
19. Mountains 
20. There's No Such Thing As a Jaggy Snake
21. On a Bang
22. Animal Style 
23. Many of Horror 

24. The Captain 
25. Machines
26. Stingin' Belle 

I'm still pretty sure it'll be a standard setlist that they'll be doing at the time. They'll do the token older stuff as usual. Possibly 57 instead of Justboy like the last time they did the festivals.

Download have booked Biffy on their Ellipsis tour so that's exactly what they're going to get.

14 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Take Andres setlist and swap out Biblical and Re-Arrange for Stress On The Sky and Toys Toys Toys and that'd be a great setlist for Download.

There isn't a chance Biblical will come out, Dom Dom is correct, if you don't want a set booked off the back of their slowest album to date then don't book them on that album.

Also why is Satan and God not in their setlist, absolute smasher of a song!

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

There isn't a chance Biblical will come out, Dom Dom is correct, if you don't want a set booked off the back of their slowest album to date then don't book them on that album.

Biblical isn't on the latest album?...

Might wanna Re-Arrange the name of the second song you mentioned too.

Yeah Brand New blew Biffy out of the water last night. No question. Literally speechless for 5 mins. Though Biffy were pretty good, just no where near Brand New

16 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Worst song on OR and one of their worst songs in general

Edited by justanothername

Not a Biffy fan and their recent Glasgow show was not as good as their Leeds headline show of 2013 but they are still more than good enough to justify their Download headline status. A tweak of their setlist will win most "not decideds" over.

1 hour ago, justanothername said:

Yeah Brand New blew Biffy out of the water last night. No question. Literally speechless for 5 mins. Though Biffy were pretty good, just no where near Brand New

Worst song on OR and one of their worst songs in general

I really like God and Satan but then I don't like much pre Puzzles Biffy.