The Elephant in the Room.

Wooderson

This didn't even cross my mind.

But then, I do get the tube to and from work in central London every day and that is very worrying. Will I be able to get on the first train, will I have someones elbow in my face, what shitty music will I have to endure leaking out of someone's shitty earphones, the list goes on. But terrorism? Nah.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vanderlyle said:

I just meant that people still drive everywhere now - but the govt will fine you if you speed, or drink drive etc. So measures are taken to protect.

A huge amount of measures are taken to protect us. We have branches of major organisations and indeed entire organisations devoted purely to looking out for this stuff. Terrorist attacks have been stopped in this country, before they've happened. But obviously it's necessary that these groups operate with a degree of secrecy. But it sure is there.

5 minutes ago, Padgey said:

IS are all over Europe not just in Paris, so I'm assuming they are unsure where they'll strike next if they were going to.

yep, Farage is spot on and its an invading army. :P

Look, I don't doubt there's a few who might actually commit atrocities, but mostly they won't. There's around 350 ISIS 'fighters' who have gone to Syria from the UK and returned, but they're not yet shooting up the town and they're not likely to.

What's actually the surprising thing here for those who think that "IS are all over Europe" is just how few attacks - or even attacks govts claim to have stopped - there are.

We are not all in instant mortal danger from terrorists. You're in more danger crossing the road.

6 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

what? 

He said:

16 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

A stampede on a packed field or tent caused by a sudden rumour or suggested attack would likely kill far more than a suicide bomber.

So I said:

13 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

IS could start false rumours about Radiohead playing The Park and wipe out tens of pretentious arseholes.

2 minutes ago, tonyblair said:

that's what I thought

I was just surprised that someone would make a joke about getting Radiohead fans killed

(and that's nothing to do with what happened on Friday)

It's a sick world we live in Blair. Some of us have created false intelligence reports as an excuse to go to war.

2 minutes ago, billum said:

I may be being a little nihilistic, but my thought is - if you got to pick the time and place of your passing from this mortal earth, by whatever means, where would it be?

Exactly.

Well there have been mornings at Glastonbury where I have thought that a swift death would have been merciful.

4 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Haha yeah it does sound patronizing!  Better to be safe than sorry that's all I'm saying, I wouldn't be risking it if I was an artist.

ha my amazement was directed at the bands not you! So I wonder when they will consider it safe to play europe again? When we stop bombing syria and iraq? I see IS have said washington is next? Will they stop playing america now? Amazing!

still, it's up to them if they feel threatened, then it's their right to stop doing gigs I suppose.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

ha my amazement was directed at the bands not you! So I wonder when they will consider it safe to play europe again? When we stop bombing syria and iraq? I see IS have said washington is next? Will they stop playing america now? Amazing!

still, it's up to them if they feel threatened, then it's their right to stop doing gigs I suppose.

It's fucking nuts though. How many mass killings in the US over the past 5 years compared to France, Germany or UK? Yet they don't feel 'safe' in Europe? 

Then again we are talking about Dave Grohl and Prince.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

An extra risk is always an extra risk, but the car analogy is a good way of showing just how low the risk really is.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I lived thru the full time of IRA terrorism which included a bomb in my home town (Aldershot) - which was also a clear 'top target' as "home of the British Army".

It didn't change a jot of what I did. If you're going to end up as a random victim of a targeted attack, you're going to be that victim - but because it's basically random there's not really anything you can do to avoid it.

I could have chosen to avoid Aldershot, but then I might have instead been in the town down the road (Guildford) when the pub bombings there happened - which only gets to show the futility of changing what you do, unless you change to be someone who does nothing at all.

Quite true.

I was a student in London during part of the IRAs bombing campaign. The idiot that accidentally blew himself up on the bus to parliament was the bus I used twice a day. NB: the 'number' of the bus / route, not *the* bus.

Much to my mum's horror I used the same bus the following day, like everyone else. Besides my logic that it wouldn't happen twice, what do you do? You just get on with life.

Bomb scares at Euston station were a complete faff more than they were scary.

4 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

It's fucking nuts though. How many mass killings in the US over the past 5 years compared to France, Germany or UK? Yet they don't feel 'safe' in Europe? 

Erm the killings you refer to , to best of my knowledge have not been at concert venues or stadiums, Its not just about feeling safe they may feel with the extra costs involved and the possibility of a tour disruption that is not worth taking a financial risk as well.

8 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Much to my mum's horror I used the same bus the following day, like everyone else. Besides my logic that it wouldn't happen twice, what do you do? You just get on with life.

Yep that's the logic I use too. After those shootings in tunisia and the egyptian plane crash, the days after those events would be the perfect time to go there for a holiday I thought. Same goes for a weekend in paris. This weekend coming will be the safest possible time to visit.

26 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

Well they're from the States, so I imagine that goes some way to explaining why they might feel safer in the States. As for how many mass killings, I'm not sure there have been many in the same circumstances as the Paris attacks at all. I doubt racially-motivated idiots shooting up churches or cinemas are likely to affect the Foos decisions to tour the States, however a gig being attacked two days before one of your own in the same city might be a slightly different kettle of fish.

That's if it is about feeling safe, which I doubt, it's probably more to do with 87 people being murdered at a gig of a band that you're friends with, having a gig scheduled in the city that it happened tonight (which is still in lockdown so it's highly unlikely would go ahead even if they wanted to), another in the same country and then two more in neighbouring countries when the borders are likely to be heavily restricted and cause logistical issues for large tour vehicles. 

That's the Foos of course, you're right that Prince is probably being a whiny little shit.

Edited by mrtourette

13 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Well they're from the States, so I imagine that goes some way to explaining why they might feel safer in the States. As for how many mass killing, I'm not sure there have been many in the same circumstances as the Paris attacks at all. That's if it is about feeling safe, which I doubt, it's probably more to do with 87 people being murdered at a gig of a a band that you're friends with, having a gig scheduled in the city that it happened tonight (which is still in lockdown so it's highly unlikely would go ahead even if they wanted to), another in the same country and then two more in neighbouring countries when the borders are likely to be heavily restricted.

That's the Foos of course, you're right that Prince is probably being a whiny little shit.

borders arent heavily restricted at all. Paris isnt in lockdown either (edit: unless you mean in terms of bands playing gigs in paris)

U2 have also cancelled I understand. What is that tit's excuse I wonder?

Edited by russycarps

although it;'s obviously a tragedy that any lives were lost in such a way at all, i wonder what the knock on effect for performers would've been if any of the people on stage had died. although this has obviously happened in the past (Dimebag, for example, although obviously under very different circumstances) it's hard to not think that it would've had a bigger effect on performers wanting to travel over/perform in Europe (for the near future, at least)*

*might've already been brought up - haven't read through all of this

25 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

How very true.

Depressingly, The Trump was quick to say that if France were armed like American's are, the situation would be different. The sad thing is America has about 30 gun homicides every day, so thanks to the likes of Trump, America will have more gun deaths than Paris by the end of this week.

From the bottom of a Metro article regarding Paris gigs was this snippet about Marilyn Manson cancelling his show at the Zenith ;

‘It was not The Zenith or the artists who wanted to cancel their shows, but we cannot go against the local government decree,’ a spokesperson for The Zenith said.

So it would seem that the local government have forced the cancelling of gigs in Paris.

Still totally nonsensical that Foos would cancel other dates in other cities ?