The Elephant in the Room.

Wooderson

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Ah they have cancelled paris gigs only, which is understandable. Cancelling an entire european tour on the other hand is lunacy. 

An entire tour tour? Four dates at the end of the tour, one of which they wouldn't have been allowed to play anyway. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yes, pathetic isnt it.

I can only guess that they fancied kicking back and counting their money for a few days. Dave Grohl has probably thanked Allah for the opportunity to do so.

What does Wayne Coyne have to say about it?

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

I can only guess that they fancied kicking back and counting their money for a few days. Dave Grohl has probably thanked Allah for the opportunity to do so.

What does Wayne Coyne have to say about it?

I should have phoned in work today to tell them I wont be coming in, out of respect for those who died.

And that I'd be taking the rest of the week off too.

It must be very scary to be a Muslim in Britain, or anywhere in Europe, at the moment.  If you get on the tube, for example, how many people will be moving, uncomfortably, away from you?

With 'instant' 24 hour a day TV news coverage any crowded place will be a target, so I'm quite glad to live half way up a mountain on the edge of a small village in South Wales.  But that won't stop me going to gigs and public gatherings. 

As for bands cancelling, I can understand how it must be difficult at the moment to be standing on stage shouting at the audience: "Are you having a good time?"

3 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

As for bands cancelling, I can understand how it must be difficult at the moment to be standing on stage shouting at the audience: "Are you having a good time?"

In Paris, yes.

Anywhere else in the world? No. It's ridiculous to think people are so traumatised they wouldnt be able to enjoy a gig.

I think more security will be the new normal if there is another one of these relatively quickly. I was in India a couple of weeks ago and every big hotel has a metal detector and a luggage xray scanner so all of your shopping goes through it when you come in. Likewise they check under the bonnet and boot of every car coming into the car park and there is 4 layers of security at the airport. All put in place after Mumbai. Is it effective or is it just there to reassure? Who knows.

Profiling will clearly have a much bigger part to play as well. Interesting to hear that people don't worry about it when they're in London - I certainly do just as I did during the IRA years. 7 attempts this year in the UK alone?

Would I worry about it at Glastonbury? No.

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

But can we believe that figure? 

If the threat is there why has there not been any successful mass killing since 2005? It's absurdly easy to slaughter a few people in the middle of london. Why does it never happen? 

Don't tempt fate.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If the threat is there why has there not been any successful mass killing since 2005? It's absurdly easy to slaughter a few people in the middle of london. Why does it never happen? 

They did not say who the threats were from. One at least was from the Real IRA as that was reported a couple of months ago.

Just now, russycarps said:

Probably because they are listening to every single word of their '2000 people of interest' all the time as we live in a quasi police state.  The only time it happens is when people do it completely off grid and I imagine its hard to get hold of automatic weapons off grid. Especially if the cache in the Ireland is unavailable to them.

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

Probably because they are listening to every single word of their '2000 people of interest' all the time as we live in a quasi police state.  The only time it happens is when people do it completely off grid and I imagine its hard to get hold of automatic weapons off grid. Especially if the cache in the Ireland is unavailable to them.

The people in palestine are demonstrating how easy it could be to spread fear just with knives, guns arent even needed.

I'm not saying it couldnt happen here. It's inevitable that there will be another attack of some sort at some point in time. But the threat is massively exaggerated by people with vested interests. This Investigatory Powers Bill needs a climate of fear to ensure it's smooth approval.

I'd rather take my chances with a terror attack than have every aspect of my life watched. And I work right by the bank of england, you cant get a more prime target!

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Nobody wants to give Prince another excuse not to play Glasto.

21 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

It must be very scary to be a Muslim in Britain, or anywhere in Europe, at the moment.  If you get on the tube, for example, how many people will be moving, uncomfortably, away from you?

With 'instant' 24 hour a day TV news coverage any crowded place will be a target, so I'm quite glad to live half way up a mountain on the edge of a small village in South Wales.  But that won't stop me going to gigs and public gatherings. 

If I step out my front door there's a decent chance I'll be walking down the street with a Muslim.

I'm not looking at them in a funny way. There's absolutely no reason why I should.

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

7 attempts this year in the UK alone?

it's been proven in the past that the number of claims made by our wonderful PM's don't stack up with the prosecutions that happen.

So either they're letting people they know to be involved in terror plots to walk free, or our wonderful PMs are lying to us.

Care to take a guess at which it is?

Edited by eFestivals

23 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

We shouldn't underestimate people's ability to compartmentalise their emotions. I was (and remain) deeply disturbed by Friday's events, stirring all those sub-surface feelings of anger and violence against these bastards, as they achieve (one of) their goal of turning rational, tolerant people into vengeful haters. However, I still had a brilliant time watching Everything Everything on Saturday night, both depsite the Paris attacks and because of them. As anyone who likes the band will know, much of the subject matter of the latest record is Jon's incomprehension with, and indignation at, the seemingly never-ending stream of horror committed by our species. 

So, we had a fantastic time, as did the band, the poignancy turning our thoughts back to our French cousins when the stage's light screen very subtly morphed into displaying the French tricolor after the band had left the stage at the end of the main set. The usual 'we want more' chants evoled into a dignified and very genuine measured applause. they then returned to the stage and, appropriately dedicated No Reptiles to the fallen and injured in Paris. the power of Art, indeed.

19 minutes ago, russycarps said:

In Paris, yes.

Anywhere else in the world? No. It's ridiculous to think people are so traumatised they wouldnt be able to enjoy a gig.

Never one to agree in haste with the orange hairy one, but (as is so infuriatingly the case) he's correct.

Ben

50 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I would expect that artists cancelling tours would have as much to do with financial considerations. Once the risk of any show being called off due to an incident goes up, the insurance premiums rise, and before you know it, tour cancelled.

insurance is already in place long before the tour starts.

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

We shouldn't underestimate people's ability to compartmentalise their emotions. I was (and remain) deeply disturbed by Friday's events, stirring all those sub-surface feelings of anger and violence against these bastards, as they achieve (one of) their goal of turning rational, tolerant people into vengeful haters. However, I still had a brilliant time watching Everything Everything on Saturday night, both depsite the Paris attacks and because of them. As anyone who likes the band will know, much of the subject matter of the latest record is Jon's incomprehension with, and indignation at, the seemingly never-ending stream of horror committed by our species. 

So, we had a fantastic time, as did the band, the poignancy turning our thoughts back to our French cousins when the stage's light screen very subtly morphed into displaying the French tricolor after the band had left the stage at the end of the main set. The usual 'we want more' chants evoled into a dignified and very genuine measured applause. they then returned to the stage and, appropriately dedicated No Reptiles to the fallen and injured in Paris. the power of Art, indeed.

Never one to agree in haste with the orange hairy one, but (as is so infuriatingly the case) he's correct.

Ben

Well said sir.

Ezra Furman on Saturday did it with a  few simple words.

"I am glad we are all alive and I am glad you are all here"

22 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

why would you need automatic weapons?

mow down a few people with a car, then hop out and stab a few more with a few knives. it's not really that hard if you're bothered, no need for guns or bombs or the like.

the reality is likely that there are so few radical extremists who are actually prepared to carry out an attack that it's not worth thinking about. if a few of them were mowing down people on high streets every few months, i'd be far more scared than a bombing in a random european city every few years.

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

It's great that some people went to a gig on Saturday and had a great time despite feeling sad about what happened, but how can anyone claim to know what a single other human being is thinking, profess to understand their emotions or know the best way to deal with them? It's terribly arrogant.

Proof that one person can deal with their troubles in one way is not evidence that everyone can. There is no right or wrong way to deal with the situation that was presented, either as a punter or an artist.

Maybe Dave Grohl has something to learn from Everything Everything in dealing with the seemingly never-ending stream of horror committed by our species. Or maybe artists like Everything Everything and Ezra Furman and the venues they play lend themselves to such shows of sensitivity than a hairy-arsed rawk band who trade off whooping it up in front of massive crowds, and that being all they know how to do they weren't comfortable rolling that out. 

1 hour ago, mrtourette said:

21 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

why would you need automatic weapons?

mow down a few people with a car, then hop out and stab a few more with a few knives. it's not really that hard if you're bothered, no need for guns or bombs or the like.

the reality is likely that there are so few radical extremists who are actually prepared to carry out an attack that it's not worth thinking about. if a few of them were mowing down people on high streets every few months, i'd be far more scared than a bombing in a random european city every few years.

Radical extremists instruct someone to do their work for them you do not find the leaders volunteering - oh no send a disciple