Radiohead touring in 2016

Redwinevino

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

I mean, these fuckers on here are always banging on about it, right?  lets see if it really stands up to a neophyte. Have they got the tunes to win me over?

I think starting with Kid A is wrong. Start at the beginning and see the evolution. 

You may well just think "Kid A - it's pish" but it isn't. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I think starting with Kid A is wrong. Start at the beginning and see the evolution. 

You may well just think "Kid A - it's pish" but it isn't. 

Weird choice innit.

I'm a fan and without fail each time I've bought a new Radiohead album on the day of release and listened to it I've thought 'ugh, how fucking disappointing. It's a bit shit'.

A week later I like 2 or 3 songs.

A week later I love those 2 or 3 songs. But moan about the album as a whole.

Get bored. Don't listen for a bit.

A few weeks later try again and a song between the 2 or 3 songs I like suddenly clicks. It makes itself known quite unexpectedly and is fucking great!

So I try another of the not 2 or 3 songs I initially like. More synapses in my brain click into gear and I 'get' another song.

By now, a few months have passed, all the holes have been filled and I fucking adore the whole album and play nothing else...but perhaps get snobby to more casual fans about how the 2 or 3 songs on the album 'that everyone likes' are nowhere near the best songs on the album FFS.

A few months later, driving along in the car, one of those original 2 or 3 songs I liked kicks in...in a way I never appreciated before. I hear it differently. And it's fucking awesome! IT'S ALL AWESOME!

And I bang on about my new found love to mostly confused and indifferent listeners.

And I secretly pity them for not getting it, while at the same time love that this is my thing, not theirs.

And I know there are others out there like me...but that we will only commune in our smug knowingness at Radiohead gigs. And that is fine.

And by this time a new album is imminent!

And I'm fucking beside myself with anticipation!

And it's released!

And I buy it!

And take it home!

Trembling with excitement I place the stylus on the record and listen! For the first time!

And...

'Ugh. How disappointing. It's a bit shit'.

REPEAT ABOVE.

And that folks, is how you turn into a sad little fanatical fanboy/girl. 

Edited by Woffy

26 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Weird choice innit.

I'm a fan and without fail each time I've bought a new Radiohead album on the day of release and listened to it I've thought 'ugh, how fucking disappointing. It's a bit shit'.

A week later I like 2 or 3 songs.

A week later I love those 2 or 3 songs. But moan about the album as a whole.

Get bored. Don't listen for a bit.

A few weeks later try again and a song between the 2 or 3 songs I like suddenly clicks. It makes itself known quite unexpectedly and is fucking great!

So I try another of the not 2 or 3 songs I initially like. More synapses in my brain click into gear and I 'get' another song.

By now, a few months have passed, all the holes have been filled and I fucking adore the whole album and play nothing else...but perhaps get snobby to more casual fans about how the 2 or 3 songs on the album 'that everyone likes' are nowhere near the best songs on the album FFS.

A few months later, driving along in the car, one of those original 2 or 3 songs I liked kicks in...in a way I never appreciated before. I hear it differently. And it's fucking awesome! IT'S ALL AWESOME!

And I bang on about my new found love to mostly confused and indifferent listeners.

And I secretly pity them for not getting it, while at the same time love that this is my thing, not theirs.

And I know there are others out there like me...but that we will only commune in our smug knowingness at Radiohead gigs. And that is fine.

And by this time a new album is imminent!

And I'm fucking beside myself with anticipation!

And it's released!

And I buy it!

And take it home!

Trembling with excitement I place the stylus on the record and listen! For the first time!

And...

'Ugh. How disappointing. It's a bit shit'.

REPEAT ABOVE.

And that folks, is how you turn into a sad little fanatical fanboy/girl. 

This is absolutely spot on. And is simultaneously the reason Radiohead are so wonderful and their fans are so insufferable.

I would actually start with In Rainbows. It's a pretty album, unlike say, Amnesiac. Yet, it does incorporate enough weirdness+electronica that moving onto something like Kid A afterwards wouldn't be quite the jarring jump that OK Computer to Kid A is.

It's all very well to say 'start at the beginning', but that seems to have stranded loads of people unable to progress past their third album.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This is absolutely spot on. And is simultaneously the reason Radiohead are so wonderful and their fans are so insufferable.

Not going to quote that wonder of a post again, but how bang on is that?

I think the only album since The Bends which I loved instantly was In Rainbows, but their other work has all followed that pattern to one extent or another.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Not going to quote that wonder of a post again, but how bang on is that?

I think the only album since The Bends which I loved instantly was In Rainbows, but their other work has all followed that pattern to one extent or another.

I was even skipping tracks on In Rainbows at the start.

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

When I was first listening to Radiohead, In Rainbows was definitely the one that got me most immediately. It's very accessible but also totally unique.

Yeah I'd say In Rainbows is a good place to start, some great tunes and not as out there as a lot of their other albums. Also probably my favourite album of theirs so I might be a bit biased...

23 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Ah, was love at first sight for me.  I still struggle with Kid A/Amnesiac to this day, even though both are filled with tracks I love seeing performed live (youtube, sadly I've only seen them once with the KOL set at the park).

In Rainbows is probably (arguably) the only album on which Thom's lyrics are about love / relationships and written in (kinda) the first person, intentionally. I think that's why it has a certain accesibility / immediacy that the other albums perhaps don't.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

people said the same about Metallica, and yet they were very definitely being lined up to headline the other until there was yet another purple piss-around.

Different kettle of fish though, apparently Metallica were desperate to play and they'd never played before so seemingly were happy to accept anywhere? Muse would be accepting of a lower stage after playing twice before as a headlining act? I would imagine that Muse are a bigger draw for Glastonbury than Metallica as an act too? I might be wrong in saying that but it's just my perception of things, especially going from past crowds at Muse and the crowd for Metallica.

6 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Woffy, I like Radiohead (love some of it), but come on man, you'll love any half-decent act if you force yourself to listen to them again and again.

The more I listen to Queen and Abba I dislike them, Sir, but I'm sure they'd probably be considered as half decent acts by most?

4 minutes ago, theDandy said:

Different kettle of fish though, apparently Metallica were desperate to play and they'd never played before so seemingly were happy to accept anywhere? Muse would be accepting of a lower stage after playing twice before as a headlining act? I would imagine that Muse are a bigger draw for Glastonbury than Metallica as an act too? I might be wrong in saying that but it's just my perception of things, especially going from past crowds at Muse and the crowd for Metallica.

You're making presumptions about Muse's wants. Those presumptions might be well-founded, or they might not.

Just about everyone was making similar presumptions about Metallica when they said there's no way they'd ever headline Other.

All i'm saying is that it's it's not the impossibility that you're saying it is.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You're making presumptions about Muse's wants. Those presumptions might be well-founded, or they might not.

Just about everyone was making similar presumptions about Metallica when they said there's no way they'd ever headline Other.

All i'm saying is that it's it's not the impossibility that you're saying it is.

yeah, this is bang on I reckon. Metallica had never played before, had no relationship with the Eavii and no reason to, on paper, accept a booking on The Other, but they clearly did. With Muse, they know (and possibly) love the festival, they don't see it as just another gig (Remember The Edge playing during their last set, that's not the soprt of thing he/they normally do). I would be far less surprised about them taking a different slot than I would with Metallica, but like Neil says, that definitely was on the cards and they agreed to it.

20 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Woffy, I like Radiohead (love some of it), but come on man, you'll love any half-decent act if you force yourself to listen to them again and again.

Nah, don't agree Robin.

The stuff I tend to like almost immediately I end up disliking quickly. The Strokes first album being a good example for me personally; totally immediate...got dull on repeat.

The stuff that takes some effort and committment I find usually rewards me more.

Although, I've tried hard with some bands and it's just left me cold. Arcade Fire, for example.

I'd be a shit music reviewer. I'd need 3 months minimum to post a new album review.

29 minutes ago, theDandy said:

The more I listen to Queen and Abba I dislike them, Sir, but I'm sure they'd probably be considered as half decent acts by most?

Really? Which Queen albums have you listened to solidly for a few months? As I'm not much of a fan of theirs but fairly sure I would be if I did that.

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Really? Which Queen albums have you listened to solidly for a few months? As I'm not much of a fan of theirs but fairly sure I would be if I did that.

If I had to listen to Queen solidly for 3 months it would make me appreciate Radiohead so much more.

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I haven't for a while. I used to listen to A Day at the Races, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night at the Opera, the Game etc a fair bit when I was younger and enjoyed them and have always appreciated the musicianship, production and technical ability of Brian & Freddie especially, but the more I hear them they really do make me cringe a fair bit. It's the Queen sound which I'm going further and further away from. I don't dispute for one moment that they're not a great band, but for me they're not my thing at all, and increasingly more so with age.