Tom Petty should play the Sunday slot

chris_top_her

I guess he could sub for sam smith

About the Sam Smith thing. Let me say I have never had any hard feelings toward Sam. All my years of songwriting have shown me these things can happen. Most times you catch it before it gets out the studio door but in this case it got by. Sam's people were very understanding of our predicament and we easily came to an agreement.

The word lawsuit was never even said and was never my intention. And no more was to be said about it. How it got out to the press is beyond Sam or myself. Sam did the right thing and I have thought no more about this. A musical accident no more no less. In these times we live in this is hardly news. I wish Sam all the best for his ongoing career. Peace and love to all.

Aye I don't deny that. But there's a difference between being influenced by and blatant ripping off.

Sam Smith, that awful phantom of the opera ripping off echoes, and yes led zep. All are filed under the blatant rip off category.

I dont reckon any of pettys stuff is (though I'm not a huge fan so might be wrong like)

I just get a bit concerned when I see copyright holders suing musicians left, right and centre over alleged similarities in songs, unwitting or otherwise. Particularly Marvin Gaye's fucking family.

If musicians start getting cold feet about sampling, borrowing and mixing and matching then it's the listener that's gonna lose out.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

The key word there is unwitting.

I've no doubt the team of people who wrote Sam Smith's song for him knew exactly what they were doing

I don't think Sam's Smith team are any more cynical or knowing that any other musician, that kind of stuff isn't particular to them.

there are tunes that are 'heavy influenced' by, and then there are blatant ripoffs, some of which get called out and some which don't..one of the previous instances of a 'big hit single' ripoff that I can think of is when Huey Lewis & The News got some payoff by pointing out that  Ray Parker's "Ghostbusters" riff blatantly nodded to their "I Want a New Drug"

I always wondered why Nirvana's "Come As You Are" didn't get more flack for ripping off Killing Joke's "Eighties"

Since Led Zep are brought up here, don't know if any of you were familiar with Kingdom Come, a mid-80's metal band that shifted a million units of their debut in the US with some sketchy tunes that used a Kashmir riff ("Get It On") and stole the arrangements for When the Levee Breaks Battle ("17") Battle of Evermore ("Loving You").

suspicious as it might seem that the poster seems to know all these Kingdom Come songs, obviously i must confess I bought the album back at that stage of my record-buying teen-aged life and had quite got into bits of it...

back to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers...brilliant band, 'Damn the Torpedoes' and 'Hard Promises" are 2 fantastic albums beginning to end. it's the "Won't Back Down" and "Free Falling" stuff that I find irritating to the ears to be honest...fact that he had to headline IOW more or less shows that you won't have his management agreeing to him being 3rd or 4th from the top at Glasto esp if some band they've never heard of like 'Foals' or 'Buffy Clyro' is on after them.

The key word there is unwitting.

I've no doubt the team of people who wrote Sam Smith's song for him knew exactly what they were doing

That makes no sense. I Won't Back Down is a pretty widely known song, if they deliberately inserted that melody knowing the Petty song then they would have known they would have to give away some of the royalties.

That's not cynical, it's silly, and doesn't sound like the thing a souless money making song drone would do. If they were cynical, they'd have changed the melody to protect their cash.

It's not like there was any creative reason to invoke the spirit of the Petty song, it's a totally different feeling record.

It's either coincidence, a steal from someone who thought it made a great record and money be dammned, or a steal from someone naive. It doesn't make sense to have it both ways - a deliberate steal from a cyncial, knowing songwriting team.

You only have to look at the amount of samples used in pop songs at the moment (INXS, Blondie and Soft Cell are a few I can think of off the top of my head) to see that people who grew up in the 80s are influencing modern pop. So part of me wouldn't be surprised if the Sam Smith/Petty thing was purposeful. Sampling and ripping off two entirely different things mind you.