2017 festival

kaosmark2

call me crazy but ruling out Alt-J could open up a sub slot for The XX, i could defo see them goin festival crazy this year.

Headlining the other stage, Sub reading, headlining Latitude.

thoughts?

thinking about it actually i think The XX would be perfect Sub to Radiohead at glasto. 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, RedBalloon said:

call me crazy but ruling out Alt-J could open up a sub slot for The XX, i could defo see them goin festival crazy this year.

Headlining the other stage, Sub reading, headlining Latitude.

thoughts?

thinking about it actually i think The XX would be perfect Sub to Radiohead at glasto. 

They're free for all of the festivals you mentioned above so it's not entirely unrealistic. Are they really that big now? I like them but never considered them to be at that level. More Headline NME / 3rd down at Reading.

22 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

They're free for all of the festivals you mentioned above so it's not entirely unrealistic. Are they really that big now? I like them but never considered them to be at that level. More Headline NME / 3rd down at Reading.

after the success of jamie's solo stuff, and the nice long time away coming back with a smashing new album i think they are. all you have to do is play one track and people instantly recognise it. 

they actually headlined the other stage in 2013, so the next step up would probably be what i just mentioned. 

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why does this rule alt-J out? Can imagine a band can do both.

The xx would be a sub if booked, I'm sure, but R+L have spent that long not booking The xx that I don't expect it to change. And in the light before any of the headliners we're expecting would probably be an atrocious gig for them.

I doubt Reading would let a sub headliner headline a fairly decent sized festival that could potentially take away punters from Reading unless alt-j get demoted in where they'd play compared to last time.

Edited by foolee

Not trekked through this one for a while, but I assume guesswork still points to Muse, Kasabian and Eminem?

Iron Maiden just announced a summer run in the US and Canada that starts June and ends in July. Intriguingly, they usually herald the end of a tour proper in their press releases - but there is no mention in this one. If they are intending on dates after, is R+L suddenly in play? Doubtful, particularly when they're struggling to shift tickets for their Northern arena shows, but that hasn't stopped strange bookings before.

20 minutes ago, foolee said:

I doubt Reading would let a sub headliner headline a fairly decent sized festival that could potentially take away punters from Reading unless alt-j get demoted in where they'd play compared to last time.

Looking at it, you're right. The subs don't usually headline smaller fests but there have been a couple of cases like Kendrick and Florence where they have so I'd sooner class it as just 'unlikely' than completely ruled out.

Hopefully if they're unlikely it opens the door a bit for Tame Impala. I could totally deal with buying a Kasabian day ticket or something if it meant I could see them and then nip to a smaller stage.

15 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Not trekked through this one for a while, but I assume guesswork still points to Muse, Kasabian and Eminem?

It's not so much guesswork as what eFests has found out and we have accepted. I wish they weren't the three but there you go.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Looking at it, you're right. The subs don't usually headline smaller fests but there have been a couple of cases like Kendrick and Florence where they have so I'd sooner class it as just 'unlikely' than completely ruled out.

Hopefully if they're unlikely it opens the door a bit for Tame Impala. I could totally deal with buying a Kasabian day ticket or something if it meant I could see them and then nip to a smaller stage.

Hopefully that is the case with Tame Impala as I've managed to miss them on the Currents tour unfortunately. I would happily pay the £60-70 day ticket for them and a couple of others too. I think it'll either be Jamie T or Tame Impala for Kasabians sub now though, I'd say TI the more likely as said previously Jamie T currently has nothing announced for this year. Unless I am wrong and we get Bastille, MJ and Alt-J as our subs.

4 minutes ago, foolee said:

Hopefully that is the case with Tame Impala as I've managed to miss them on the Currents tour unfortunately. I would happily pay the £60-70 day ticket for them and a couple of others too. I think it'll either be Jamie T or Tame Impala for Kasabians sub now though, I'd say TI the more likely as said previously Jamie T currently has nothing announced for this year. Unless I am wrong and we get Bastille, MJ and Alt-J as our subs.

I doubt you are getting Alt-J as a sub.

1 hour ago, foolee said:

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

alt-J headlined Latitude in 2015 when they subbed R&L.

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Iron Maiden just announced a summer run in the US and Canada that starts June and ends in July. Intriguingly, they usually herald the end of a tour proper in their press releases - but there is no mention in this one. If they are intending on dates after, is R+L suddenly in play? Doubtful, particularly when they're struggling to shift tickets for their Northern arena shows, but that hasn't stopped strange bookings before.

Even when you ignore the 3 "confirmed" headliners for this year, it's a real struggle to see how or why R+L would ever book Maiden again.

28 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Was at Frank Carter Last night, after asking them they didnt give too much away in terms of an out and out confirmation but hinted at a mid-NME slot and dismissed the pit headline/high up slot 

Nice work! Would be great to see them on a much bigger stage. I think they'll be huge this year!

Jamie T having nothing announced points towards him subbing on an exclusive, I think he'll either do that or headline Latitude. The XX would make a great sub however I'm expecting them to headline Latitude so i doubt they'll play Leeds too. 

These seem to be what i'd go for right now:

Kasabian / Jamie T

Eminem / Major Lazer

Muse / ??? (Possibly Royal Blood)

I think it will be Eminem.

Makes a lot more sense to get him announced sooner, probably more popular than Kasabian and they will also want to offer up some artists for those with a more mainstream taste in music before they book tickets for another festival.

Neither have anything announced as of yet however so it really could be either.

Also i don't think Alt-J being at Boardmasters rules them out at all, subs have played at other festivals before and Alt-J are a strong sub to begin with, so i can still see it happening. Personally i've never thought it'll be them but this certainly doesn't rule them out.

Edited by Little Sparrow

Hope the next announcement gives us one or two subs. Really interested to see who ends up in those slots. Quite a few potential shouts but no one seeming particularly likely.

Royal Blood - would be an ideal sub to Muse but I expected them to be pushing to headline R&L this year.

alt-J - likewise was expecting them to be pushing to headline this year but that Boardmasters slot may indicate they've not achieved as big a slots as we anticipated. They'd work below Kasabian but they also did only sub two years ago. They're around late Summer so can see them being at R&L or Bestival.

Pendulum - would work under either Muse or Kasabian. Playing SW4 the same weekend and have only been announced as a London exclusive I think so R&L could be on the cards (or Creamfields have snapped them up). Actually are they Saturday at SW4? That would mean they'd have to be below Kasabian if we're correct on the days of the headliners.

Skepta - could see him doing it and it'd be a smart booking from R&L I reckon. He'd get a huge crowd. Would work below Kasabian and could also see him being stuck below Muse if they had no options for a heavier sub (a la Macklemore in 2014).

Jamie T - thought he'd be a likely option but he has no dates at all lined up so who knows? Would seem odd for him not to hit festivals at all so maybe an R&L exclusive for him and some other late Summer fests that haven't announced yet.

You Me at Six - some people here thought they'd even be given a co-headline slot so it isn't impossible that FR also didn't anticipate their drop off in popularity and gave them a sub slot below Muse. Especially with the lack of options for a heavier sub.

Tame Impala - We didn't expect them to be active but they are. Don't think they have any European dates yet but FR may have bagged them to play below Kasabian. Would be a good booking and may be the last Summer that they're available as a non-headliner.

ADTR - look like they'll probably be subbing Biffy at Download but if they aren't they'd be a good bet for below Muse.

Enter Shikari - R&L is stupid so wouldn't even be shocked if they somehow subbed Muse.

Bastille - maybe the turds have their tour dates wrong and are actually subbing (or Major Lazer have theirs wrong).

Dunno if I've missed anyone but that is my summary. It's like in 2014 when we couldn't think who it could be and it ended up being fucking Jake Bugg and Macklemore with Vampire Weekend 3rd down on the other day. Which means we'll end up with two shiters like YMAS and Shikari subbing and Jamie T or Tame Impala will get shoved 3rd down on a European exclusive because Melvin Benn is dumb.

For me this seems the most logical but also seems too big and all three subs could have headlined imo. Would be a statement of intent, though:

Muse / Royal Blood

Eminem / Major Lazer

Kasabian / alt-J

The Muse sub seems the one shortest of suggestions. I think Deftones are a realistic contender - wouldn't be a strong one but I think them combined with Muse would appeal to a crowd otherwise neglected across the weekend. Skepta might work, maybe 30STM will show up but I don't think they're big enough anymore.

Royal Blood is a popular suggestion but I think with no European announcements despite loads of appropriate festivals they could be booked in North America throughout summer supporting some stadium tour (Metallica?) but I'm obv not ruling them out of subbing R+L cos that'd be foolish.

Skepta subbing Kasabian is a great shout, and I could totally see it happening. Major Lazer below Eminem is the obvious one. That just leaves Muse. Deftones would be great but I think they'd still only play third down. YMAS subbing wouldn't surprise me too much if FR predicted bigger things for this album, as has been mentioned. I really want to go for Royal Blood but they just have headliner written all over them for 2018 if the album comes out later in the year. 

Muse / You Me At Six / Deftones 

Eminem / Major Lazer / Panic! at the Disco

Kasabian / Skepta / Wolf Alice 

Who are people expecting for NME headliners? FLUME, Bastille and The Offspring are my picks. 

28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Muse sub seems the one shortest of suggestions. I think Deftones are a realistic contender - wouldn't be a strong one but I think them combined with Muse would appeal to a crowd otherwise neglected across the weekend. Skepta might work, maybe 30STM will show up but I don't think they're big enough anymore.

Royal Blood is a popular suggestion but I think with no European announcements despite loads of appropriate festivals they could be booked in North America throughout summer supporting some stadium tour (Metallica?) but I'm obv not ruling them out of subbing R+L cos that'd be foolish.

Yep I meant to include Deftones actually. Also meant to include Twenty One Pilots as a potential Muse sub but don't think they have any dates announced.

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Skepta subbing Kasabian is a great shout, and I could totally see it happening. Major Lazer below Eminem is the obvious one. That just leaves Muse. Deftones would be great but I think they'd still only play third down. YMAS subbing wouldn't surprise me too much if FR predicted bigger things for this album, as has been mentioned. I really want to go for Royal Blood but they just have headliner written all over them for 2018 if the album comes out later in the year. 

Who are people expecting for NME headliners? FLUME, Bastille and The Offspring are my picks. 

Yeah I think those are the subs I'm going with for now.

Flume and Bastille definitely. Beyond that I once again see loads of options with no one particularly standing out.

Metronomy, Enter Shikari, Wolf Alice, You Me at Six*, Skepta*, Chase and Status, Jake Bugg, Brand New.

If they don't sub main.

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Make that Eminem day a better day and it could be a goer, by that I mean take Panic out completely and replace with almost anything (I say ALMOST ;P)

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

YMAS subbing wouldn't surprise me too much if FR predicted bigger things for this album

Last time they played they were supposedly moved down the bill quite late on for Macklemore so they could probably even demote them now. Not that they need to as this album has been set to flop since their 'intimate' tour dates went on sale in August.