Crowd diversity

russycarps

Seemed to be a lot more diverse this year. Lots more black people than I've seen before, quite a few SE Asians too.

We hung out with some random black dude on Friday night and I have to say the amount of random people asking him for drugs was remarkable. He laughed it off but it was excruciating to observe.

Looks like things are moving in the right direction though. Only 98% whiteys now!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought the same thing - still a long way to go, but it was good to see a bit more diversity in the crowd.

I went to a reggae festival in Barbados last month, and was one of about 5 white people in a crowd of about 3-4000. It's a dead weird feeling. Most people just looked straight through me, which I decided to take to mean that my presence didn't bother them, but just a little smile or something would have made me feel so much more comfortable. It was certainly interesting to experience how that feels, I have been quite outnumbered at gigs in this country due to my taste in music, but never as significantly as that.

I decided to remember this at Glastonbury - I hope that wasn't horribly patronising, but In fairness I try to smile at as many people as possible at Glastonbury regardless, so it shouldn't have been.

I'm not one to mentally note such things, other than it was very very overwhelmingly white, as usual. But one of our group who hadn't been before, did remark that it wasn't as "really fucking white" as Bestival, I did think that was a slightly odd thing to say, but then I was informed she has one Indian parent, so is more inclined to notice such things.

I noticed a slight increase as well. Good to see and hope it gets better. Can't believe that everybody would assume that somebody who black was a drug dealer though. Shocking! 

On a lesser forum, somebody would take this as a cue to post a clip of that horribly awkward clip with Doc Brown on the Inbetweeners. Efestivals is going to stay strong here.

Was it that diverse? 90% seemed to be from Liverpool!

being from Liverpool myself i thought i was just noticing a lot of them because of my familiarity with the accent, but it's nice to know there actually were a lot of us there :D

on the diversity front, i didn't really notice it at all. seemed as white as it's ever been, but then again i didn't really take much notice