Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

For the first time I'm seriously wondering whether Arsenal fans that want Wenger to go are right. 

First time for me as well. I feel if they don't win the league this season under Wenger they never will. To me it's not just the fact they are missing out (3 teams who spend more also are) but the manner of it. They got out of jail against Leicester then followed up with such a limp performance against man utd.

56 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If Leicester best Swansea next weekend, I think they will probably be ok. If they don't win and spurs cut the lead to 2 or 3 points (within 1 result of overtaking) then I think doubts may set in.

We're the type of team who could cause an upset and get a result against Leicester though (and have all neutrals hate us...)

We beat Chelsea, who hadn't lost in the league under Hiddink, and then promptly went and capitulated and gave a half-arsed performance against Newcastle and lost 3-0.

It'll be interesting to see how Leicester play without Vardy for the next 2 games.

On 4/17/2016 at 3:28 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Great game that. Ref was right to send Vardy off. Both penalties were correct too but West Ham should have had one before that first goal and Huth should have got one a few minutes before they actually got one at the end.

Both were penalties?? Really?!? If you give that Leicester one then every game will have 1 or 2. It was a nothing challenge from Carroll

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

That result pretty much confirms if Spurs finish equal points with Leicester they are league champions.  I still struggle to see Spurs winning 5 games in a row, but that's a pretty great start.  The only thing that concerns me is that if there is one team that I can see ruining the enjoyment of the vast majority of football neutrals, its bloody Chelsea!!

Trust me, there is no way Chelsea will lose to Spurs and beat Leicester. JT and Fab won't allow that to happen. Most likely lose to both. Will be quite weird going to a game and willing my team to lose. 

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

First time for me as well. I feel if they don't win the league this season under Wenger they never will. To me it's not just the fact they are missing out (3 teams who spend more also are) but the manner of it. They got out of jail against Leicester then followed up with such a limp performance against man utd.

Wenger should have gone about 6yrs ago imo. Consistently underachieving and bottling it when the pressure is on. Can't think when they last had a serious title challenge. That said, i'm glad he's still around - his 1,000 game was pretty special. 

1 hour ago, Celery said:

Both were penalties?? Really?!? If you give that Leicester one then every game will have 1 or 2. It was a nothing challenge from Carroll

Trust me, there is no way Chelsea will lose to Spurs and beat Leicester. JT and Fab won't allow that to happen. Most likely lose to both. Will be quite weird going to a game and willing my team to lose. 

Wenger should have gone about 6yrs ago imo. Consistently underachieving and bottling it when the pressure is on. Can't think when they last had a serious title challenge. That said, i'm glad he's still around - his 1,000 game was pretty special. 

I think the constantly underachieving is a bit unfair. They will probably finish where there finances dictate they should this season as they do most. In a way the consistency is the problem, most teams have very poor seasons, but make up for it through very good ones. Arsenal are just a load of decent.

Brilliant performance from Newcastle there. Should be 3 points since Aguero was stood way offside and somehow the linesman missed it. Poor.

3 hours ago, Celery said:

Yeah, thought he made a clumsy challenge and it was correct to give a foul. It would be a foul anywhere else on the field so why should it be different because it was in the box.

I'm starting to believe again, which scares me. Only wish Rafa had been brought in a month earlier, pretty sure we could have beaten at least one of Sunderland/Norwich then.

I've got a horrible horrible feeling that we're going to go down instead of Sunderland on goal difference.

16 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'm starting to believe again, which scares me. Only wish Rafa had been brought in a month earlier, pretty sure we could have beaten at least one of Sunderland/Norwich then.

I've got a horrible horrible feeling that we're going to go down instead of Sunderland on goal difference.

It's all back on. They just need to pick the points up and see how the others do. Draw at Liverpool, beat Palace and Villa and point vs Spurs. That would be amazing.

Well I'm hoping thats what we needed for Martinez. Really worried he would carry on with the 0 vs 0's and 1 vs 0 then sleep walk into next season with him in charge and without Lukaku's goals.

It would be nice for him to go now.. Leicester, Sunderland and Norwich last 3 games so winning some of those would make the season a bit more interesting

7 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It's all back on. They just need to pick the points up and see how the others do. Draw at Liverpool, beat Palace and Villa and point vs Spurs. That would be amazing.

We've got a chance, but really need some favours from mid table teams. Just have to hope the title is wrapped up by the time we play spurs, if it's still open we have no chance there.

I posted a while back that I thought at least one of Utd and Liverpool would finish above WHU, but it looks like it might be both of them.

I'm wondering if Liverpool are going to sneak past Utd and get 5th. It's not even impossible they might get 4th, tho that'll take cock ups from above more than just their own form.

They seem to be putting a decent run together now, with a better consistency in games. Plus Lovren and Sakho are starting to gel.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I posted a while back that I thought at least one of Utd and Liverpool would finish above WHU, but it looks like it might be both of them.

I'm wondering if Liverpool are going to sneak past Utd and get 5th. It's not even impossible they might get 4th, tho that'll take cock ups from above more than just their own form.

They seem to be putting a decent run together now, with a better consistency in games. Plus Lovren and Sakho are starting to gel.

dunno about that. utd and west ham have both won as well

i think winning the europa is their best bet for champs league, and getting the team ready for a run next year

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

dunno about that. utd and west ham have both won as well

If Liverpool win their game in hand they're above WHU, and just 2 points behind Utd.

I'm not sure on other teams' recent form, but Liverpool's is currently waaaay above the season's average for those two teams - so if Liverpool continue with their recent form while Utd continue with their season's average, Liverpool are sure to finish above them. Liverpool's recently improved goal difference helps here too.

If that current form/season's average scenario happens with City too, then Liverpool are going to be right on City's tail. One result the wrong side of the average for City could see Liverpool pip them. I think it's unlikely to happen, but it's not impossible.

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

i think winning the europa is their best bet for champs league, and getting the team ready for a run next year

You're probably right with that. Getting above City is definitely still a stretch, that'll need City to mess up just as much as it will Liverpool to keep going strongly.

There's clearly something good with Klopp, but he's not been polishing what some people said were turds. That was never a shabby squad of players - it looks like it was a squad of players that Rogers sucked the mojo out of. I'm not too surprised tho, the way he tended to freeze players out.

Origi is turning into something. I hope his ankle isn't too bad.

24 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Talking of form, Liverpool have 13 points from their last 6 games. Man Utd, 12 from 6, and Man City, 11 from 6. 

but Liverpool are clearly getting stronger (till the next fuck up :lol:), while the others aren't.

They've even recently discovered that the goal can be used more than once in a game. :P

They're the only team who look like changing the current positions, aside from any swap-around within the current top 4.

What the hell was the story with Everton last night? They were awful! It could have been 10-0 had Liverpool taken so many of the chances they spurned (as they tend to do)

As for Liverpool doing better position wise in the league I think they may run out of games for that and are "hitting form" a tad late in the season to have a real effect.