Lineup 2016

Matt42

On a real though Gaz, you even said yourself about them doing BST on an exclusive this year and T and R+L next year. All that would do is keep an already too soon booking but this time without much demand at all, whereas there would be demand next year. I mean, it's first pressing. Or do you want to wait til everyone else has had their fun with the olives? Fourth pressing. Yeah, like that's gonna be a party in your mouth, I don't think!

...what

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two Door Cinema Club subbing then.

Can't speak for anyone else but they completely slipped of my radar. Their last appearance was 2012 subbing NME and I don't think they've grown massively since then. NME headliner or high on Main. Could see them playing 3rd behind Foals & Disclosure. 

i'm struggling to think what other options Biffy have other than doing Reading/Leeds again (apart from BST i suppose) but i still don't think they'll do it. the net of headliners is far too wide for them to be making repeat bookings like that (i know, i know, Blink. let's just forget that one)

Glasto.... (I know you hate the idea and believe it will never happen, but it fits, until Foo Fighters are announced at least :P).

Dramatic change in direction of sound and they do Bestival? They did say they were done with the stadium rock after the last album.

On a real though Gaz, you even said yourself about them doing BST on an exclusive this year and T and R+L next year. All that would do is keep an already too soon booking but this time without much demand at all, whereas there would be demand next year. I mean, it's first pressing. Or do you want to wait til everyone else has had their fun with the olives? Fourth pressing. Yeah, like that's gonna be a party in your mouth, I don't think!

:lol: Truth!

Edited by LondonTom

If it does go ahead in any capacity I suggest it may be re-branded as they are doing in Europe - the one in Switzerland is now:

Allmend Rockt Festival, presented by Sonisphere

Although according to Neil, Biffy have bigger plans than doing soni - check the forum in the Old festivals bit.

If The Black Keys are around next year I reckon they could be in with a shout. Surely they're long overdue a major UK festival headline slot? I know they co-headlined IOW but I mean closing a day.

Kanye West
Disclosure

The Black Keys
Tame Impala

Muse
Foals

Pretty solid IMO TBH.

I remember when someone suggested the The Black Keys should headline with Jack White subbing. I just laughed.

With regards to the credibility of them headlining Reading. mm not too sure. I think that they are almost a better 'hype it up' act as opposed to a 'finish it off' kind of band. Saying that at Glasto they were very sub standard. Didn't live up to the sheer hype. Nor did their latest album. Almost a 2 album wonder.

Edited by willutalk

not sure about The Black Keys - there last album didn't do much to propel them forward (not nearly as much as El Camino did, anyway), and they don't have the greatest live track record (supposed to be a bit shit aren't they?). also, surely Foals would get the bump up to headliner before they do?

Hmm, maybe, but I thought that Turn Blue would naturally progress them to headline status.

I didn't go in 2012 but they looked pretty good on the BBC coverage. Mind you, people said they were terrible at Glastonbury.

Hmm, maybe, but I thought that Turn Blue would naturally progress them to headline status.

I didn't go in 2012 but they looked pretty good on the BBC coverage. Mind you, people said they were terrible at Glastonbury.

loved El Camino myself but didn't take to Turn Blue at all (and neither did the band judging by their setlists - they barely played any of it live). they may step up to headliners come the next album (may have another Lonely Boy/Gold On The Ceiling up their sleeves) but as it is i don't think they're quite there (but only just)

With regards to the credibility of them headlining Reading. mm not too sure. I think that they are almost a better 'hype it up' act as opposed to a 'finish it off' kind of band. Saying that at Glasto they were very sub standard. Didn't live up to the sheer hype. Nor did their latest album. Almost a 2 album wonder.

They've got eight albums.

VCK. I think this is a case of assumptions. I do it too. One can often assume that a new album will just project an act to headline status automatically when in some cases it just isn't right, especially when the quality lacks.

Look at Bullet For My Valentine for example. They butchered chances at headlining Download when they produced a poor album being Temper Temper, and it's almost like they won't recover.

The Black Keys have done the same thing.

Momentum is so key in the music industry. But bands like Stone Roses stifle me.

They've got eight albums.

Mmm true. Must admit I'm not the biggest of Black Keys aficionados. 

let me rephrase.

There were two albums for me that really worked (Brothers and El Camino) to propel them forth. And to produce Turn Blue after these two albums was pretty poor and has halted progress.

The Black Keys DID get to headline status on that album omg.

Maybe at other festivals but not at Reading.

The Black Keys DID get to headline status on that album omg.

headlining Latitude, a smaller festival, and co-headlining Isle Of Wight, which i know you say to the contrary, but isn't quite the same as headlining alone imo. although that said, i guess they could be in with a shot at headlining in 2017 along with two stronger headliners

There were two albums for me that really worked (Brothers and El Camino) to propel them forth. And to produce Turn Blue after these two albums was pretty poor and has halted progress.

Maybe at other festivals but not at Reading.

Yeah my bad. I just meant they had stepped up to major festival headliners in general and didn't realise you meant just for R+L. I obviously think they could but that discussion has been done to death. Disagree that this album has flopped hard though and certainly so that they've followed a similar path to BFMV - although it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as I wouldn't mind seeing The Black Keys in a few hundred capacity town venue instead of an arena. :P