Glastonbury Maps

dirtysteve

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Love this! Really hoping 2003 and 2004 may be found, my first two. Did anyone ever camp in Holts? Long since gone. We did in 2004, right next to the Glade. It was hell!

Holts was our goto field, for us it was a fantastic field to camp in - party central, especially when loads of people used to have camp fires (another lost thing!!). although we camped on the west holts end of the field - shame it's gone

Edited by bob323

On 5/19/2024 at 10:12 AM, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

And Glade Stage in the Dance Area before moving to the Glade.  Don't remember that.

Glade started in the Glade area in 2000, how long was the stage in the Dance Village?

On 5/19/2024 at 7:59 AM, bob323 said:

from glastomap.png

Thanks for that. Have saved, but I'll not upload it till I've received the one I bought at the weekend as I might well be able to make an even nicer scan off of that. Will update the thread when done!

On 5/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, bob323 said:

Holts was our goto field, for us it was a fantastic field to camp in - party central, especially when loads of people used to have camp fires (another lost thing!!). although we camped on the west holts end of the field - shame it's gone

It was just a dumb choice for us, we’d been in the CV fields on our first Glastonbury and decided we wanted to be right at the heart of the festival, but pitching a tent about 10 metres from the Glade wasn’t clever. Plus the BBC stage was close too. Didn’t get much sleep! 

59 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It was just a dumb choice for us, we’d been in the CV fields on our first Glastonbury and decided we wanted to be right at the heart of the festival, but pitching a tent about 10 metres from the Glade wasn’t clever. Plus the BBC stage was close too. Didn’t get much sleep! 

My memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm fairly sure that the area where you now walk from The Glade to West Holts, that used to be general camping during my first few years...not sure what year it moved over to trader stalls/glade overspill.

47 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

My memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm fairly sure that the area where you now walk from The Glade to West Holts, that used to be general camping during my first few years...not sure what year it moved over to trader stalls/glade overspill.

I remember seeing that so unusual to have a campsite literally bang in the middle I was tempted to camp there, but I saw it in a right 2and8 in I think 2008/9

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

It definitely was, as shown on this map from 2005. I went back to the festival in 2008 after a few years off and i'm pretty sure the campsite there had gone by that point.

glastomap.png.aa747b7d2cc524407a0e2a223dd4f426.png

1 minute ago, Johnnyseven said:

It definitely was, as shown on this map from 2005. I went back to the festival in 2008 after a few years off and i'm pretty sure the campsite there had gone by that point.

Ahh yes! 

I started going in 2004 (sadly never went pre-super fence), memory is a bit hazy but I do also recall people camping at the back of the Other Stage now i've seen this!

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Holts was definitely still public camping up to and including 2009.. Though I think it had been somewhat encroached upon by that point so less space available than previous years.

Not sure exactly when it changed to fully staff only and the market stalls added (the maps show 2011, but tbh they may not tell the whole story, as often they could be a year behind the times for stuff like that).

26 minutes ago, incident said:

Holts was definitely still public camping up to and including 2009.. Though I think it had been somewhat encroached upon by that point so less space available than previous years.

Not sure exactly when it changed to fully staff only and the market stalls added (the maps show 2011, but tbh they may not tell the whole story, as often they could be a year behind the times for stuff like that).

I've just checked my old programmes, it started reducing in size from 2010 - the Glade started encroaching on it from the west side. Seems to finally have gone as public camping in 2015, it lasted way longer than I had thought!

Ah yes the maps,maps,maps thread.. maybe it'll resurface.. although no harm in this one replacing it/starting again- excepting if there are some choice images there we could salvage... I still pine for my old tent spot in Dragon Field later Williams or whatever. Those got crew grabbed quite some years ago. Anyway.. yes.. more A0s or A3s (never see A2). 🤓

53 minutes ago, Boris said:

Ah yes the maps,maps,maps thread.. maybe it'll resurface.. although no harm in this one replacing it/starting again- excepting if there are some choice images there we could salvage... I still pine for my old tent spot in Dragon Field later Williams or whatever. Those got crew grabbed quite some years ago. Anyway.. yes.. more A0s or A3s (never see A2). 🤓

I've been looking for the maps, maps maps thread - I can't find it. it deffo had some good info in there. It was my goto thread ages ago - I'm assuming it's been archived off and deleted from the board

On 5/18/2024 at 9:22 AM, dirtysteve said:

I have always kept bits of festival ephemera for the memory box each year, program, tote bag, ticket, wrist band, jam jar of mud from 2016, etc, and the last 5 or 6 festivals I've made a point of tracking down one of the A3 site maps that are dished out at info points. Well, I've got in the habit of scanning and uploading them to Internet Archive and have also hunted down a bunch more via eBay for this purpose:

https://archive.org/search?query=subject%3A"Glastonbury+Festival+Map"&sort=date

I'd love to add more, but old ones don't pop up on eBay very often. In particular, I'd be keen to buy an A3 map for 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2016 as I was at those festivals and would love to have them in my memory box. If anyone has any of these and is willing to part with them, please let me know.

But if anybody has any earlier ones I'd be very keen to get a high-res (600dpi TIFF) scan to add to the Internet Archive collection, I got a 1992 one recently! It's fascinating to see how the site has changed over the years. I'm quite the obsessive amateur digital archivist, as you'll see if you look at my uploads: https://archive.org/details/@mrstephencole 🙂

Cheers!

If you haven't already check out https://www.glastopedia.com/festivals/maps

You particularly might like the maps comparison tool. https://www.glastopedia.com/festivals/maps/compare?a=2023&b=2022

• Like 3

I have always kept bits of festival ephemera for the memory box each year, program, tote bag, ticket, wrist band, jam jar of mud 

I do the same, except the jar of mud. Got stuff going back to 2002, prior to that I tended to be a “fence jumper” or similar 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:41 PM, Boris said:

... I still pine for my old tent spot in Dragon Field later Williams or whatever. Those got crew grabbed quite some years ago. Anyway.. yes.. more A0s or A3s (never see A2). 🤓

Yes, we had friends who camped in Dragon Field and I always wanted to give it a go, sadly it never happened 

• Like 1

This is awesome work. I've in the process of digitising all of the programmes (so many pages, what was I thinking) and I'll also be adding those to the Web Archive! Only have two fully scanned so far, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Glastopedia said:

This is awesome work. I've in the process of digitising all of the programmes (so many pages, what was I thinking) and I'll also be adding those to the Web Archive! Only have two fully scanned so far, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

Nice! Yeah, I've got programmes from all the years I've went, and also some from the 90s that I picked up here and there on eBay, have had in the back of my mind for a while to scan them. Only problem is, it's an absolute sod of a job to do it properly; Even after shearing off the spine to have loose pages to scan more easily, it still takes *ages* to scan a whole magazine. I've done it a few times before, couple of Radiohead magazines, computer magazines, and it's so much work that it puts me off... I might get into it, though, I've got 1994, 1995 and 1997 programmes sitting here, let's see if I can hustle up the energy at the weekend. Anything I scan I'll send your way for your site, too, save you doing it.

Methodology, here's how I scan magazines; I cut the spine off with an EZ-Shear I have (https://floormart.co.uk/ez-shear-13-for-laminate-engineered-lvt/) and trim the pages down on all sides a bit so they fit on my scanner bed, then I scan each page in turn at super high-res 600dpi TIFF, then I put the scans in a folder, then I rename the scans so they are sequential (0001.tiff, 0002.tiff, etc), then I zip the folder, then I change the .zip filetype to .cbz (comic book reader format), then I upload the .cbz to archive.org and once uploaded they have various automatic scripts which process the .cbz and its files into a PDF, jpegs, text-only, etc. and you end up with a nice flippy-book of it on the archive.org page as well.

Here's a Radiohead magazine I did in this way: https://archive.org/details/RadioheadComingUpForAirBook

• Like 1