Guitar based acts at Glasto 2024

markfaulkneruk

Not a lineup criticism at all - plenty on there I want to see - but it's always good to find more guitar based acts, as they're becoming increasingly rare.

I really like Fontaines DC, PJ Harvey and Idles; and the new Bloc Party and Newdad albums seem potentially okay; maybe Yard Act and The Breeders qualify too.

But does anyone have any recommendations of other bands or solo artists with those sorts of sounds? Would really appreciate some tips (I promise to be nice, even if it's something I wouldn't like).

Many thanks!

Mark

P.S. Does anyone know why Drenge stopped doing stuff? A sad loss. First discovered at William's Green - also a sad loss.

• Upvote 1

Great question - one I’m also interested in collecting names for this year! 

I would add Skindred to your list since the Avalon announcement. Nothing But Thieves would qualify also as predominantly guitar based. Two Door Cinema Club as a bit of Indie. 

(I’m also hoping for a Kings of Leon appearance - since they’re in Bristol the week before the festival). 

And the search goes on…

18 minutes ago, markfaulkneruk said:

Not a lineup criticism at all - plenty on there I want to see - but it's always good to find more guitar based acts, as they're becoming increasingly rare.

I really like Fontaines DC, PJ Harvey and Idles; and the new Bloc Party and Newdad albums seem potentially okay; maybe Yard Act and The Breeders qualify too.

But does anyone have any recommendations of other bands or solo artists with those sorts of sounds? Would really appreciate some tips (I promise to be nice, even if it's something I wouldn't like).

Many thanks!

Mark

P.S. Does anyone know why Drenge stopped doing stuff? A sad loss. First discovered at William's Green - also a sad loss.

quite a lot to have a go at here for you I reckon. Prob have a listen to almost everything that is on at Woodsies as it often has a pretty decent chunk of guitar bands , especially in the days 

national, Bombay bicycle club, last dinner party from other stage could be worth a listen although might not be bang on the nose 

squid on west holts will give you guitars but with a bit more weird and wonderful stuff around it to 

7 minutes ago, Gub Gub said:

Great question - one I’m also interested in collecting names for this year! 

I would add Skindred to your list since the Avalon announcement. Nothing But Thieves would qualify also as predominantly guitar based. Two Door Cinema Club as a bit of Indie. 

(I’m also hoping for a Kings of Leon appearance - since they’re in Bristol the week before the festival). 

And the search goes on…

Thanks for your reply 🎩

I've never heard of Skindred, so I'll definitely check them out.

Oh, and I should have included 'The Last Dinner Party' as a sort of indie pop act. They were very good at Woodsies last year.

1 minute ago, internetjef said:

quite a lot to have a go at here for you I reckon. Prob have a listen to almost everything that is on at Woodsies as it often has a pretty decent chunk of guitar bands , especially in the days 

national, Bombay bicycle club, last dinner party from other stage could be worth a listen although might not be bang on the nose 

squid on west holts will give you guitars but with a bit more weird and wonderful stuff around it to 

Oh yes, I forgot about Squid! First saw them at William's Green (RIP 🥲) and have really enjoyed them every time.

Agree that Woodsies normally turns up at least one good new guitar act.

Thanks for your reply 🎩 

New Model Army

there's a lot to dig into - start with the classic that is Thunder & Consolation and work out from there.

my personal fave album has always been Impurity.

for more "guitar based" (as opposed to "folky") give High and also Today Is a Good Day a spin.

5 minutes ago, Sawman said:

Mannequin Pussy sound great and definitely are guitar based. Agree though that this genre is thin in the ground this year (so far at least) after being spoilt last year. 

My friend is very excited about them. They didn't click with me on first listen but that doesn't mean much - I'll definitely be trying again (more than once). Hopefully the click will come (it often does with decent guitar music).

Thanks for replying 🎩

3 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

New Model Army

there's a lot to dig into - start with the classic that is Thunder & Consolation and work out from there.

my personal fave album has always been Impurity.

for more "guitar based" (as opposed to "folky") give High and also Today Is a Good Day a spin.

That's a good idea, thanks 🎩

I've never got around to checking them for some reason. Now added to my pre festival research list.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Alvvays are good, lots of love for them on here 

Thanks 🎩

Now added to my 'check them out before Glasto list'. I heard one of their songs before but was working at the time so was rather distracted.

Edited by markfaulkneruk

I’d say Nothing But Thieves are a must, great live band too and fit with your guitar based comment. 

Soccer Mommy is great but on the softer side of indie. High Vis sound decent. Does Avril Lavigne count? Defo some guitars in there. 

I agree this year does seem a bit thin. Not loads on Shangri La either but they’ve just announced Bob Vylan and Lambrini Girls who are also both worth a listen, both a bit more punky though. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You must check out Cam Cole. Just announced in Shangri-La

Beat me to it.  A mesmerising watch and great bluesy/rock sound.

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

I know all musics subjective, but the sound of that particular clip cannot appeal to anyone surely. 

It was the energetic performance that grabbed me as much as anything.  A quick Spotify confirms they are excellent on record even though I don't understand a word!  Great riffs.  Punky but also melodic.