Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

Stevie Nicks just isn’t headliner level. Her set would be a quarter tunes people know and then a whole load of sh*t nobody knows.

So you think "people" know more SZA tunes? Nope. She also doesn't have any "oh I didn't know this was her", which Stevie does. 

Also, if you added up to total vibes of all SZA songs and packed them into one "make your own banger" kit, it wouldn't go off as hard and epicly as Edge of Seventeen. Ergo, Stevie Nicks, on that logic is a better headliner.

I ain't saying she will or should headline over SZA, but I can categorically bet my house and the crown jewels (in the event that the bookies don't want a big mortgage and I happen to find the crown jewels in a bin outside Charlie's gaff after a mad Magaluf bender) that Stevie Nicks will have a bigger and more euphoric crowd than SZA.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, clasher said:

Because Emily's on record hyping up the legends slot as "the fourth headliner", presumably exactly for the gender quota purposes. 

Don't worry about explaining, I think most people would know what you mean...some just like to be a wee bit cantankerous I've learned 😜

I get your angle. Everyone has been going on about it being 2 female headliners for this year, but then apparently Madonna was never booked but Stevie was. So if that's the case, Emily lied in the first place and there was never 2 female headliners booked. She's also included Lizzo as a weird 4th headliner last year, and has talked up the legend slot. So I know what you're saying... it ain't over until that poster drops and there's always a chance that she could have been talking about Dua and Shania for example and then the other two could well be male.

I personally hear it as 2 headliners means two at the very top and not legend. But you never know, they might be about to market the hell out of that legend slot...🤷🏼‍♀️

52 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

sorry this was meant to be a list regarding future headliners regarding the "3 women to headline 25/26"

Serves me right for jumping into the thread without reading up, sorry!

33 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

My OH was there and later texted (slightly confusingly) "2 female headliners, shed next week". So I assume he heard it as poster drop. Or we have a garden shed being delivered next week. 

Shed Seven replacing Coldplay

7 minutes ago, clasher said:

OK let's not get bogged down on semantics and what might or might not be the consensus. 

The fact is Emily's been trying to pass off either the legends slot or Lizzo for that matter as basically headliners before. Specifically because of gender balance. 

Now in any other circumstance I'd agree with you that saying headliners means actual headliners. Three of them, topping El Pointo.

In this specific case however I think what she said might well mean 2 female headliners out of the 3, but could also mean 2 out of the 3 plus legend, or two out of the 4 in a lizzo kind-of-but-not-really co-headline thing.

EE playing fast and loose with the Legends Slot and Lizzo in her comments over the past couple of years really feels like it has blurred the lines.

But if that's the case, then she's likely got "three" headliners who are female this year - SZA, Dua Lipa and Stevie Nicks.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Dua Lipa / Coldplay / SZA isn't an all-timer on paper, let's say. 

Second time going. Pretty happy with it actually. Would see Coldplay and sza and could see myself missing dua for someone on another stage 

Just now, Ncahir94 said:

Second time going. Pretty happy with it actually. Would see Coldplay and sza and could see myself missing dua for someone on another stage 

Oh, absolutely. It's plenty going for it.

If we want to bring infamous streaming metrics into it, that's three artists inside the fifteen top-streamed artists in the world per month at the most recent count (Dua Lipa at #8, Coldplay at #10 and SZA at #13).

By those basis presented, this is a very strong trio.

I guess... I guess with Dua Lipa and SZA still being relatively nascent in the world however, it doesn't scream all-timer on paper the way other years have. 

41 minutes ago, clasher said:

1) She was talking about hoping to have "2 female headliners" before, the consensus here was that she was including the legends slot.

I've never at any point got that impression.

6 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

EE playing fast and loose with the Legends Slot and Lizzo in her comments over the past couple of years really feels like it has blurred the lines.

She's certainly bigged up acts - "almost like a 4th headliner", and "could easily headline".

But as best I can remember, she's always stopped short of calling them actual headliners?

Just now, incident said:

She's certainly bigged up acts - "almost like a 4th headliner", and "could easily headline".

But as best I can remember, she's always stopped short of calling them actual headliners?

Maybe? I'm not sure. I thought she had used the concrete words, but I stand corrected if so.

Her bigging them up though is obviously damage control to a point when facing a backlash - such as the all-male trio last year. 

1 minute ago, incident said:

Yeah I don’t think she has either… because they are not! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ncahir94 said:

Yea something for everyone with those three. Wondering why Doja cat isn’t in the mix instead of SZA as a headliner.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Maybe? I'm not sure. I thought she had used the concrete words, but I stand corrected if so.

Her bigging them up though is obviously damage control to a point when facing a backlash - such as the all-male trio last year. 

With a male ‘4th headliner’ ? Doesn’t make sense. 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Yea something for everyone with those three. Wondering why Doja cat isn’t in the mix instead of SZA as a headliner.

Genuine question, has doja stock risen since she pulled out of other stage 2022? I don’t follow her. 

19 minutes ago, clasher said:

The fact is Emily's been trying to pass off either the legends slot or Lizzo for that matter

about Lizzo she said something like ' she could totally headline' whilst booking her to sub lol

the legends slot i think she's said one year (maybe Kylie?) that it was almost like a 4th headliner. 

There are 3 headliners pure and simple, when she says 2 today it obviously means 2 proper actual headliners

27 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Can't see them doing a year of all American headliners.

Not sure Rihanna would welcome being called American.  Unless you meant the continent of America I suppose but you wouldn't usually refer to someone from the Caribbean as American.

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

about Lizzo she said something like ' she could totally headline' whilst booking her to sub lol

the legends slot i think she's said one year (maybe Kylie?) that it was almost like a 4th headliner. 

There are 3 headliners pure and simple, when she says 2 today it obviously means 2 proper actual headliners

100% all of this 

she talked about

1.  How she got into running the festival, spoke about wanting to become a teacher and dropping out of Goldsmiths to care for her mother.

2. Having one female agent she looked up to as inspiration for another woman in a similar position.

3. Stepping into her fathers shoes and doing things her own way.

4. More provisions for females to feel safe at this years festival - such as female 'chill out' areas and how they're always looking for ways to improve things.

5. Spoke about sometimes not feeling safe late night on the tube as a lone female.

6. Spoke about going to Madonna recently (tied in with point 5)

7. Trying to get an equal gender balance with line-ups but it sometimes difficult as the pool to choose from is male dominated.

8. Confirmed two headliners are female but wouldn't reveal who.

9. Glastonbury 2024 line up will be out 'next week'

10. Championed Raye (a lot)

11. Spoke about Billie Eilish playing at the festival and how she was looking out for the welfare of female fans at the festival.

Perhaps @Harmonic Prospectorcan remember more?

It was about 1 1/2 hrs long, but there was an introduction from the organiser, opening talk from the vice-chancellor of the university, then three other panellists talking in equal measure so wasn't just all about EE and Glastonbury.

It was my question that got asked about the line up it was: 'Given you wish to have an equal gender balance in the line up, will there be any female headliners this year, and when is the line-up due out?'

Wanted to get a photo with her afterwards but I had to rush back to work and she was doing press stuff with the official photographer and other panellists. 

• Thanks 7
  • Upvote 6

Just as expected. 2 younger acts under 30 headlining and its like the apocalypse for the festival. Be glad Coldplay is even on it or else there is not "big" act on it.

edit: above comment with Raye. If she is hyping her up she is either a Pyramid sub or an Other headliner I think. Emily might be going for all female Pyramid subs too.

Edited by Suprefan

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Just as expected. 2 younger acts under 30 headlining and its like the apocalypse for the festival. Be glad Coldplay is even on it or else there is not "big" act on it.

????? Had you decided to write this without reading people’s comments 

9 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Not really, as I don't know anyone who would want to see any of them. It's 3 pop acts. Plenty of other stages though and will be less clashes.

1 hour ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

It was a great panel discussion. Lots of discussion about the recent 'misogyny in music' report which all the panelists said was probably the wrong word to use as it's not about "hatred" of women, more about the safety of female artists and freelancers in the industry. The general consensus was that things are improving but there is much, much more to do. Artists are becoming more vocal/taking more steps and being the change they want to see. 

Emily spoke about 99% of agents being male and the challenges that has brought over the years. She also said she probably winds a lot of bookers up forcing them the have a more equal representation of female artists on festival lineups over the years. 

"I can see them glazing over and thinking 'Oh God she's off again!'" 

@gooner1990I summarised a few pages back, but you've covered everything far more succinctly!