UK Politics

kalifire

36 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

How high do you think social care ranked on those lists before 2017? Not very high I reckon.

Or over the years, the EU ranked extremely low on people’s priorities but then it still dominated politics and elections for nearly a decade!

Social care impact on more of us though. In an aging population many are going to have parents and grandparents reliant on it. There is also the impact on NHS by clogging up hospital wards with people they can’t discharge because they can’t find a suitable care package. It’s a problem that is going to get worse and impact on those all sides of the political spectrum.

The Israel /Palestine debate has generally been one that has only been a focus for the left. Whether that will change over time who knows.

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Social care impact on more of us though. In an aging population many are going to have parents and grandparents reliant on it. There is also the impact on NHS by clogging up hospital wards with people they can’t discharge because they can’t find a suitable care package. It’s a problem that is going to get worse and impact on those all sides of the political spectrum.

The Israel /Palestine debate has generally been one that has only been a focus for the left. Whether that will change over time who knows.

You’re missing my point. Things that appear small can become important election issues based on timing and they’re not always predictable.

The NHS will likely always poll as the most important issue to voters but the party who have f**ked it have still won every election since 2010.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You’re missing my point. Things that appear small can become important election issues based on timing and they’re not always predictable.

The NHS will likely always poll as the most important issue to voters but the party who have f**ked it have still won every election since 2010.

I don’t think I am missing the point. I think something like social care was always a ticking time bomb ready to explode, an aging population meant it was always going to directly impact on the lives of British people. I struggle to see Israel and Palestine (in isolation ) ever having that same impact on the lives of the average person. I think more likely it stays an issue that interests the left and is ignored (not saying that’s a justification) by most.

Of course it could be a trigger for Middle East instability which could have huge implications. Let’s hope diplomacy can stop that happening.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t think I am missing the point. I think something like social care was always a ticking time bomb ready to explode, an aging population meant it was always going to directly impact on the lives of British people. I struggle to see Israel and Palestine (in isolation ) ever having that same impact on the lives of the average person. I think more likely it stays an issue that interests the left and is ignored (not saying that’s a justification) by most.

Of course it could be a trigger for Middle East instability which could have huge implications. Let’s hope diplomacy can stop that happening.

Well it’s only become more important as time has gone on but yet it dominated the 2017 election and likely won’t the 2024 one. 

A bacon sandwich has influenced more votes than the NHS in the last ten years

Look at it this way, the war in Ukraine didn’t do anything to improve the polling for the government and Johnson/the Tories were regularly touting their response as being one of the best. Fast forward 2 years and the Tories are even more unpopular it doesn’t seem likely that as things stand the Gaza conflict will influence voters. 

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

IMG_1345.jpeg

they're not going to get a 23% swing, there's nothing to suggest that sort of serge 

/(, i don't think a new constituency can really count as a gain)

there's far fewer green posters around Bristol now than there was 10+ years ago (Londoners don't vote green, do they?????)

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, but so was Uxbridge.

Which Labour nearly came close to winning. If the polls are correct then it will be very close.

The media will try to spin a Tory win as a game changer but it’s a seat they should be winning.

Can't see it changing the BOE position any time soon. 3.8% unemployment, 900k vacancies and over 9 million people of working age economcically inactive. Infact the cure might be to bring asset prices down a bit as people might feel like gong out and earning some pennies when the value of their house isn't going up by tens of thousands a year.

I read that Bernard Donoughue, a Labour peer who previously told Parliament that the climate change debate suffers from “scaremongering” and “exaggeration”, donated over £10000 to the Rachel Reeves office late last month. Surely there's no connection between that and the dropping of the £28 billion pledge  - it doesn't seem large enough.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Which Labour nearly came close to winning. If the polls are correct then it will be very close.

The media will try to spin a Tory win as a game changer but it’s a seat they should be winning.

well exactly....Tories milked it, as they will with Wellingborough if they manage to hold on.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

So we’re officially in a recession, this is in the Tories and their miss-management of economy.  

and bank of england acting too late on raising interest rates