Later Starts / Longer Changeovers / Earlier Curfews

CaledonianGonzo

Never looked at it but tbh when they were talking about cost cutting one of the easiest for me would have been to have some stages start later. The first acts of the day generally get a fairly low turnout so would be an easy one to get bigger crowds at the acts that are on.

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Has anyone looked at the data on general stage-time loss on the Pyramid over the years?

My assumption is its now wat beyond negligible, but is there any Data to back that up?

9 acts a day, 20 years ago. Started earlier, finished later, much shorter changeovers.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/01/glastonbury2004.glastonbury

The later curfew on the Pyramid was sacrificed in exchange for a couple extra decibels on the noise restrictions. Can't remember which year, but I think about 15ish years back.

Longer changeovers started with the Stones, and gradually spread to other headliners and then to other acts in the day.

Have to assume that the later start is just a choice - some of those 10am bands got crowds of approximately f**k all.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

9 acts a day, 20 years ago. Started earlier, finished later, much shorter changeovers.

The later curfew on the Pyramid was sacrificed in exchange for a couple extra decibels on the noise restrictions. Can't remember which year, but I think about 15ish years back.

Longer changeovers started with the Stones, and gradually spread to other headliners and then to other acts in the day.

Have to assume that the later start is just a choice - some of those 10am bands got crowds of approximately f**k all.

Presumably some of the longer changeovers is down to more impressive staging than we had back then rather than just a cost cutting measure.

Just now, gigpusher said:

Presumably some of the longer changeovers is down to more impressive staging than we had back then rather than just a cost cutting measure.

For headliners, then yep that's probably a consideration.

Not convinced a full hour was needed between Texas and The Churnups though given both had just their instruments, then another 55 minutes until Royal Blood.

I'd forgotten that the stages started really early but that has reminded me of heading over to the Other stage in the early/mid 00's to see people like Kasabian and Razorlight as the first bands on at 10.30 or something like that.

I'm kinda glad there is a bit of a longer gap between acts on the pyramid as you have enough time to go to the loo/Bar/Food and safely enter or exit the field.

Also, earlier curfew time is fine as well there is so much more stuff happening through the night, gives more time for that.

It doesn’t bother me at all to be honest. There’s so much to see at the festival in general, it’s good to have some time before the main ones all kick off. 

3 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I'd forgotten that the stages started really early but that has reminded me of heading over to the Other stage in the early/mid 00's to see people like Kasabian and Razorlight as the first bands on at 10.30 or something like that.

I'm kinda glad there is a bit of a longer gap between acts on the pyramid as you have enough time to go to the loo/Bar/Food and safely enter or exit the field.

Also, earlier curfew time is fine as well there is so much more stuff happening through the night, gives more time for that.

Yes a part of it is probably good old health and safety/crowd control stuff as well.

3 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Agree with this too, with music going on until way past dawn if you're that way inclined, you can only burn the candle at both ends for a day or two. 

• Like 1

Just now, gigpusher said:

Yes a part of it is probably good old health and safety/crowd control stuff as well.

agree, it feels like a Health and Safety consideration to be able to monitor crowd density, ensure people have a chance to get in & out without causing a crush and for stewards to close paths and stuff.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Our chances of having cleared the Pyramid field by 10am on Saturday or Sunday are minimal!

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

agree, it feels like a Health and Safety consideration to be able to monitor crowd density, ensure people have a chance to get in & out without causing a crush and for stewards to close paths and stuff.

I always assumed this was the main reason behind it 

At this point I reckon it's not detrimental to the festival, just hope it's not a general trend to be continued. Added to this is William's Green not replaced. Undoubtedly there's still a vast amount of choice so if it's the way it has to be (For H&S and/or costs) then so be it. 

2 hours ago, Joey Peeps said:

That Sunday run from Tony Bennett onwards is dreamy.

Sinking slowly into the mud over the course of the evening was less dreamy, we didn't catch Tony Bennett's set due to the time I took to squelch across from wherever we were, but from Sonic Youth onwards is probably the best run I've seen on the Pyramid. Not even a thought of going anywhere else. 

• Like 1