Babies and Glastonbury (again)

Hugh Jass II

I've taken both my children to festivals at around the 3 month mark, albeit it wasn't to Glastonbury. If it's a dry year, it should be do-able, and they are relatively easy at that age as sleep for a lot of the time. We did exactly the same as you, and booked a hotel for mum and baby to go and stay at every night, and they just dipped in and out of festival as and when they wanted to.

Don't let people put you off though. As someone has said, as long as you can put them in ear defenders, then do it.

Our firstborn was five months old for his first Glastonbury. It was 2010 so there was no rain or mud to worry about, but the insane heat and wall to wall sunshine came with problems of its own. He was still breastfeeding at that point - I imagine it would be much harder if you have to sterilise bottles and warm up formula.

As others have said, at that age they sleep a lot (a newborn barely does anything else!), and they can't run off or express a constant desire to go to the Kidz Field, so in many ways taking a baby is a lot easier than an older kid, as long as you accept the obvious huge changes to the way you will experience the festival.

We've been taking our kids ever since and each year presents us with different challenges. The muddy years with toddlers were seriously hard work, but we don't regret any of it. I fully appreciate that it's not for everyone though. Most people, both Glastonbury types and non-Glastonbury types, thought we were completely mental.

Both of mine are autumn babies, with the festival being in June, we've never taken one that's a few weeks old.

They've both attended every year since birth and 99.9% of people have been super helpful.

I think it's doable, potentially easier as small babies are less demanding. NCT tent in kidz field will be a life saver.

But...

The hardest year was when we decided to leave halfway through the festival to take kids to grandparents' house.

The walk to and from the car was an absolute killer and sapped our energy for the rest of the weekend.

We were parked other side of A361, almost in West Pennard. Google maps says approx 3.5 miles from Pyramid stage, so seven miles-ish round trip.

If OH is commuting from Taunton each day, there's potentially some serious walking involved, maybe something to consider?

Is camper or caravan an option? Staying at Bath & West could make for an easy week...

6 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

Both of mine are autumn babies, with the festival being in June, we've never taken one that's a few weeks old.

They've both attended every year since birth and 99.9% of people have been super helpful.

I think it's doable, potentially easier as small babies are less demanding. NCT tent in kidz field will be a life saver.

But...

The hardest year was when we decided to leave halfway through the festival to take kids to grandparents' house.

The walk to and from the car was an absolute killer and sapped our energy for the rest of the weekend.

We were parked other side of A361, almost in West Pennard. Google maps says approx 3.5 miles from Pyramid stage, so seven miles-ish round trip.

If OH is commuting from Taunton each day, there's potentially some serious walking involved, maybe something to consider?

Is camper or caravan an option? Staying at Bath & West could make for an easy week...

Yep would be very dependant on how close you could get parked … the outer reaches of pink are a fair walk to gate A . But it’s absolutely pot luck . Last year we parked in a field 5 mins from gate A if that . But doing it on 4/5 days you would get that sh*t walk at least 3 times I’d say 

In took my daughter at 6 weeks old in 2019, only for the Sunday though.

i had her in a sling and carried her, baby facilities in the kids field were amazing and I sat with lots of other breastfeeding mums in a nice quiet dark tent at the back of the field.

However, it was very hot during some parts of the day and I freaked out when walking in the crowds with her.

i think with careful planning ( ie staying away from the crowds as much as possible), having  a nice comfy sling or carrier for baby and the option to leave site and stay in a nice hotel for Mum and baby, you will be absolutely fine.  You can also get cute little ear defenders for newborns with have a soft material bands so they don’t squash babies head and are nice and comfy.

As others have said it’s probably the easiest age to take a child.

Also, you could book Ashcombe festival parking, which is about 20 min walk for gate d… at least you’ll know where you’ll be parked everyday and won’t end up in the furthest car park away.

Edited by k8yphillips

47 minutes ago, k8yphillips said:

In took my daughter at 6 weeks old in 2019, only for the Sunday though.

i had her in a sling and carried her, baby facilities in the kids field were amazing and I sat with lots of other breastfeeding mums in a nice quiet dark tent at the back of the field.

However, it was very hot during some parts of the day and I freaked out when walking in the crowds with her.

i think with careful planning ( ie staying away from the crowds as much as possible), having  a nice comfy sling or carrier for baby and the option to leave site and stay in a nice hotel for Mum and baby, you will be absolutely fine.  You can also get cute little ear defenders for newborns with have a soft material bands so they don’t squash babies head and are nice and comfy.

As others have said it’s probably the easiest age to take a child.

Also, you could book Ashcombe festival parking, which is about 20 min walk for gate d… at least you’ll know where you’ll be parked everyday and won’t end up in the furthest car park away.

If i can play devils advocate for a point of discussion, why would you (not you specifically K8y) pay £350 to sit in a field away from all the big acts and crowds and leave early evening? Again this is only my perspective, me and my wife had a premature baby in September but we decided against going next year before our little girl came early anyway. We also have a 2 year old who we won't be taking for a few years as well. Who is it benefitting from taking a baby or a toddler that doesn't understand what's going on and prevents you from enjoying the festival? 

Edited by Justcalledtosay

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

If i can play devils advocate for a point of discussion, why would you (not you specifically K8y) pay £350 to sit in a field away from all the big acts and crowds and leave early evening? Again this is only my perspective, me and my wife had a premature baby in September but we decided against going next year before our little girl came early anyway. We also have a 2 year old who we won't be taking for a few years as well. Who is it benefitting from taking a baby or a toddler that doesn't understand what's going on and prevents you from enjoying the festival? 

I guess you could easily spend that money on any holiday. So why not enjoy some of Glastonbury,  better than going to Weston-super-Mare. It's a break away. Do you take your nippers on holiday?

31 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I guess you could easily spend that money on any holiday. So why not enjoy some of Glastonbury,  better than going to Weston-super-Mare. It's a break away. Do you take your nippers on holiday?

You could of course. You could also tailor that holiday to suit your circumstances, but you're very much hamstrung by the limitations that Glastonbury imposes. 

10 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Who is it benefitting from taking a baby or a toddler that doesn't understand what's going on and prevents you from enjoying the festival? 

Never prevented me from enjoying the festival. Different for sure but what I've lost in some ways, I've gained in others.

Taking the kids to the festival has been an amazing journey, so many memories, now they're young adults and it's fresh as ever.

Rocking it to Hedex and Bou in the Temple, with kids who have literally grown up with the festival, it's an indescribable feeling.

When I first attended as a teenager back in the day, I loved hanging out with kids who had grown up at festivals, their parents were so cool and so different to mine.

Now I'm the cool parent and I love it, wouldn't change a thing. I know the kids wouldn't either, they live and breath it and I'm sure it's due to us taking them from such a young age.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

When I first attended as a teenager back in the day, I loved hanging out with kids who had grown up at festivals, their parents were so cool and so different to mine.

Now I'm the cool parent and I love it, wouldn't change a thing. I know the kids wouldn't either, they live and breath it and I'm sure it's due to us taking them from such a young age.

This is spot on.

I don't have any kids myself, but know loads of teens and young adults who have grown up at festivals.

A different breed for sure.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:41 AM, Justcalledtosay said:

Who is it benefitting from taking a baby or a toddler that doesn't understand what's going on and prevents you from enjoying the festival? 

Obviously a baby doesn't understand what's going on at all, but that doesn't mean they can't get something out of all the stimulation that Glastonbury offers.

By the time my kids were 2 years old they understood enough to absolutely love it. Showing them all the established attractions, experiencing new things with them for the first time, and watching them fall in love with the place has been extremely enjoyable for me, and I think genuinely life-changing for them.

As I said before, I fully appreciate that it isn't for everyone - it's bloody hard work and completely different to doing Glastonbury without kids. I have mates who are parents and go to Glastonbury themselves, and while they really enjoy being around our kids when they're there (and the perk of being able to camp with us in Wicket Ground as "aunties and uncles"!) they wouldn't dream of taking their own kids. And that's fine.

Not for everyone - and by god it has tested my patience on many occasions - but we couldnt go without them. With any luck both ours will be attending their 5th or 6th Glastonbury next June.

We joke at home how many other kids my daughter's age (turning 13 in the next couple weeks) might be able to say they were in the Pyramid field for (to name but three biggies) U2, Stones, McCartney and Springsteen. Handful?

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

Obviously a baby doesn't understand what's going on at all, but that doesn't mean they can't get something out of all the stimulation that Glastonbury offers.

By the time my kids were 2 years old they understood enough to absolutely love it. Showing them all the established attractions, experiencing new things with them for the first time, and watching them fall in love with the place has been extremely enjoyable for me, and I think genuinely life-changing for them.

As I said before, I fully appreciate that it isn't for everyone - it's bloody hard work and completely different to doing Glastonbury without kids. I have mates who are parents and go to Glastonbury themselves, and while they really enjoy being around our kids when they're there (and the perk of being able to camp with us in Wicket Ground as "aunties and uncles"!) they wouldn't dream of taking their own kids. And that's fine.

I also have a 2 year old going on 3 in March and he's getting to the age where i'd just about consider taking him as long i was in a camper van/motorhome. I just don't see how anyone's benefitting from taking a baby and especially a newborn. That's just my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Not for everyone - and by god it has tested my patience on many occasions - but we couldnt go without them. With any luck both ours will be attending their 5th or 6th Glastonbury next June.

We joke at home how many other kids my daughter's age (turning 13 in the next couple weeks) might be able to say they were in the Pyramid field for (to name but three biggies) U2, Stones, McCartney and Springsteen. Handful?

My three year old son spent the whole of Elton's set watching Paw Patrol The Movie on an ipad.

Philistine!