SZA

gherkin8r

17 minutes ago, Superscally said:

😃

A shame the reunion tours never managed to rock up for an hour on the Park stage somewhere. Not sure there will have been a slot offered that the band, for all their anti-corporate rage, would have found at the level they wanted.

18 minutes ago, Havors said:

Is Raye not a more likely headliner than SZA? Where is the SZA info coming from? 

I can only imagine Raye cant do it... SZA is a strange choice 

SZA has already sold out big gigs in the UK like headlining Wireless and tours here. Raye is definitely on the right trajectory but will probably needs another big selling album before it really makes sense for her. The only issue for SZA is Glastonbury might be seen as the wrong audience but you'll be surprised just how popular she'll be on the night.

Raye headlining 😂

Whilst she’s on track to rise up the ranks and could go the way of Adele and be stratospheric in a couple of years, she could also go the way of Emeli Sande and completely f**k it along the way. I wouldn’t go as far as to say she’s a sure fire future headliner just yet, although the path has certainly been laid out for her to get there if she/the team behind her play things right. 

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

SZA has already sold out big gigs in the UK like headlining Wireless and tours here. Raye is definitely on the right trajectory but will probably needs another big selling album before it really makes sense for her. The only issue for SZA is Glastonbury might be seen as the wrong audience but you'll be surprised just how popular she'll be on the night.

I fully hope she smashes it out of the park. Raye isn't at the level yet - a couple of massive hits isn't enough.

For reference, My 21st Century Blues only went silver in January, after almost a year on sale. That's just 60,000 units. SZA went platinum with SOS last month - five times as many sales.

Even with album sales well below, the streaming inclusion still makes them pretty reflective of what's both being listened to as a one-off hit, and what's generating mileage as a whole.

(For further comparison, We're All In This Together and Seventeen Going Under are both Platinum too.  Being Funny in a Foreign Language is Gold, but went so only four months after release, which means it's closer to the mark then we'll think.)

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I fully hope she smashes it out of the park. Raye isn't at the level yet - a couple of massive hits isn't enough.

For reference, My 21st Century Blues only went silver in January, after almost a year on sale. That's just 60,000 units. SZA went platinum with SOS last month - five times as many sales.

Even with album sales well below, the streaming inclusion still makes them pretty reflective of what's both being listened to as a one-off hit, and what's generating mileage as a whole.

(For further comparison, We're All In This Together and Seventeen Going Under are both Platinum too.  Being Funny in a Foreign Language is Gold, but went so only four months after release, which means it's closer to the mark then we'll think.)

With no record label backing that's still pretty impressive. I suspect it's going to go gold considerably quicker.

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Is Raye not a more likely headliner than SZA? Where is the SZA info coming from? 

I can only imagine Raye cant do it... SZA is a strange choice 

I think SZA is a weak headliner and Glastonbury audience isn't remotely her usual fanbase (based on audience at her gig that I went to), but she's still multiples bigger than Raye.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I think SZA is a weak headliner and Glastonbury audience isn't remotely her usual fanbase (based on audience at her gig that I went to), but she's still multiples bigger than Raye.

Gut feeling tells me SZA is the weakest headliner for crossover appeal we've had since the pandemic, despite all of the many, manymany streams and sales racked up over the past year and a bit.

32 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

With no record label backing that's still pretty impressive. I suspect it's going to go gold considerably quicker.

She's technically "independent", but she's signed to Human Re Sources for distribution and artist services (whatever that is haha) - a subsidiary of Sony Music. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's positive I guess. Slower than LDR last year though I think.

Yeah LDR was basically an instant sell-out.

Albeit at a reduced capacity. Not sure which show (apart from Andrea Bocelli) is reduced capacity this year - given how relatively weak it is, could make a case for most of them.

Not sure that tiers tell us anything either, without knowing what percentage of tickets are in the cheaper tiers - there's a lot of precedent for it being a relatively small number in order to create FOMO.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Yeah LDR was basically an instant sell-out.

Albeit at a reduced capacity. Not sure which show (apart from Andrea Bocelli) is reduced capacity this year - given how relatively weak it is, could make a case for most of them.

Not sure that tiers tell us anything either, without knowing what percentage of tickets are in the cheaper tiers - there's a lot of precedent for it being a relatively small number in order to create FOMO.

I'd have assumed Wallen if he'd been booked from the off, but no way SW was going to be reduced capacity.

I'd wager it's SZA herself.

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd have assumed Wallen if he'd been booked from the off, but no way SW was going to be reduced capacity.

I'd wager it's SZA herself.

I kinda think that it might not even be set yet.

Put an initial 50k tickets on sale for the acts that aren't going to sell out instantly. When they're down to <10% remaining, release another 15k.

Last act there loses out.

37 minutes ago, incident said:

I kinda think that it might not even be set yet.

Put an initial 50k tickets on sale for the acts that aren't going to sell out instantly. When they're down to <10% remaining, release another 15k.

Last act there loses out.

Thought they had to settle with local authorities which days were which waaaaaay in advance for police purposes?

14 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Thought they had to settle with local authorities which days were which waaaaaay in advance for police purposes?

Can't imagine it'd be this far in advance though (ie ~4 months out).

Certainly the LDR show was arranged + put on sale much later than this.