2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

15 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Curious to why you think this wouldn't be fairer?

Most people are fairly open in that the reason they don't want a ballot is purely selfish - it lowers their chance of success if they can't use numbers to their advantage. There aren't many arguments that show a ballot with proper checks would be less fair

If you want me to own up and say it, I will. Yes - a binary ballot system where anyone can get a ticket by entering on a whim is not fair on people who go through the effort to register and buy a ticket as is currently the case. A lot of people would simply forget about it and end up with a ticket when they never really cared.

I guess you're proposing a ballot system where they do ID&V checks to ensure only one registration per person? It's a better idea but I think it's not a workable solution either.

Would you trust Glasto/SeeTickets with gathering and looking after people's passport information? The recent fiasco where they proved they couldn't even maintain their database of registrations is proof that this is a no-no for me.

They are also not going to pay a third party provider to look after this process for them. They either absorb the cost or pass it on to the punter which isn't a decision I could see them making.

Edited by hoopy67

21 minutes ago, possy said:

It depends. If it was just publicly available knowledge that was used (albeit needing some technical expertise to use it) then they could not/would not cancel them for the reasons above. If on the other hand it was inside knowledge, i.e. someone at Seetickets took some money to either set up the servers that way, and/or told someone on the outside the IP addresses of the servers that they should use in return for money and those people then charged wannabe festival goers to get them tickets using the inside knowledge then that would be fraud, and they should cancel the tickets

I really don't think it's this. I think, at some point, it will just have occurred to someone who knows a bit about website hosting to check if they could access Glasto tickets through the IP addresses on which the regular Seetickets site was being hosted during a sale, and (probably to their surprise) it worked.

5 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

Seriously nothing bad was actually done here btw. It was a clever use of networking that’s all and unfortunately some of us know more about that than others and some feel hard done by because of that. 

time to move on. 

“Us?” 

Unless you discovered the exploit, you are like the overwhelming amount of people that used it and benefited from it - people who copy and pasted from someone they knew that heard about it - or paid someone to get the information. Not exactly an elite team of networking experts that exclusively benefited. 

4 hours ago, tarw said:

But life’s not fair

Not exactly the Glastonbury ethos.

And since “life’s not fair,” I suppose you won’t mind a campaign encouraging others to write Seetickets and Glastonbury, explain the exploit, point out how using a server not intended to be active in the sale sounds like a violation of the Computer Misuse Act, and as in the interest of fairness (the reason the sale was bumped back 2 weeks), at the least ask for this to be fixed and all tickets bought using this server be cancelled. 

Actually, what I just typed sounds pretty fair, not unfair. So I suppose you would mind.

44 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Not that I think it’s a good idea, but would have to be groups surely otherwise you could end up going solo unwillingly as none of your friends get tickets. 

Aye. So just one raffle ticket per group is probably better phrase

Edited by fred quimby

People asking for a ballot are asking a successful business, that sells out every year, to change the way they sell tickets. 

This is despite those asking for a ballot continuing to try to buy tickets via a means they don’t like.

So the demand doesn’t decrease. The festival thrives based off that demand. It markets itself based on that demand.

They are not going to change to ballot. Why would they? This method is good business.

Edited by Festival Sounds Podcast

1 minute ago, Bolivia95 said:

I tested this earlier. If you use the IP address it takes you straight to the 20 second countdown page and just stays there

Makes sense. People must have been doing this for years but the cat's out the bag now a larger volume of people have done it. Hopefully it's completely eliminated going forward.

1 hour ago, Nick_ said:

Hmmm ... I'm not sure.  As I said earlier, I don't think I can think of *any* friends I could ask to help me on this with any likelihood of them doing it.  Not sure how old you are or what your relationship status is, but you may be underestimating how isolated older single/widowed/divorced men can be.

I spent about ten minutes earlier today writing you a response to your specific issues.  If you haven't seen it, it should be marked in your notifications. 

1 hour ago, beforreal said:

if there are other examples of mass ploughing in to assist one person, righteous as they may be, you just let us know

otherwise I think you know the base point is salient. dropping cry laughing emojis just makes you look a bit dim

You're mistaken. 

I'm offended by you going to trouble to bully someone who has been kind to me for years on end, but feel free to carry on trying to make it about your "point". 

3 hours ago, Dave_c said:

The system is fine as it is. The reality is the odds are massively against you, it is a lottery and down to luck. I would say less than 5% of tickets went to people gaming the system, the rest just went to regular punters going through the motions like the rest of us.

How can you possibly know that? 

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Already discussed over the last few pages but for me, groups of six pre-registered together, closing the week before or something in case of changes.

Add a requirement of pre-paying your deposits so your reg is valid on the day to minimise fake accounts (maybe even blocking the full balance to be honest)

On the day/week, reg numbers are drawn and emailed a link to purchase/confirm valid for 24hours for those six specific registrations(just like this year's resale), back into the pot if not.

Registrations are drawn until all places have been confirmed. 

I have been to festival 11 times now so not short of luck, but the system is not fair and in my opinion should change. I realise most people prefer the unbalanced side of it so they can take advantage, but I find it annoying to see so many new people attempting to attend each year be disappointed because they're not aware they should be roping in 20+ people to help them.

I am not in favour of the ballot, each to there own.  

Just feels no effort goes into it. My group would have one chance at the tickets. But as a group we have to organise, get up be ready and have more than one chance during the time tickets are on sale. 

Yes you can get more people to help but that is more effort on your part to make that happen. 

What would happen to a resale? would have to make sure everyone was prepared to be in the ballot again. 

41 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I spent about ten minutes earlier today writing you a response to your specific issues.  If you haven't seen it, it should be marked in your notifications. 

Ah, yeah - seen it now.  Thanks very much - much appreciated.  I'll have a good read through and see if I can apply it to my circs. 

Thanks for the reassurance.

I was thinking that all this multiple devices, IPs, browsers, tabs etc is apparently against the ethos of the festival. But then in the same way that a couple of thousand people spend weeks building a small town in the middle of nowhere that will just be used for 5 days in the summer and then dismantle it all afterwards, hundreds of thousands of people spend days building a small data centre in their living rooms that will only get used for one hour on a Sunday morning in November and then dismantle it all afterwards. So maybe it fits the ethos really.