whats the ticket price going to be ?

Crazyfool01

11 hours ago, gfa said:

Given interest rates are up to like 7% depending on where you put your money by increasing the deposit they could make a ton off interest in the 6 months or so before the fest.

It's been mentioned here before that Glastonbury don't really have access to the deposit money in the way you'd think. 

E.g. It's not in Shepton Mallet Santander and they can't withdraw from it it to pay contractors. It's held by SEE (on account, with their millions of other ticket deposits, payment plans etc) so it's  protected to enable refunds in the event of cancellation. They'll be able to access it fully when see transfer it after the balance is paid. 

Until that point they'll use existing reserves and other income sources (vendors, merch etc) to pay what's needed and carefully structure contracts so they pay a deposit and then the rest to them balance payment day. 

So GFEL aren't really getting the cash benefit from interest on deposits but they can use it to leverage payment terms e.g. "look we have 135k people committed to paying, we're good for the money come June give us a good deal"

I cant see a massive increase. £340 last year and people saying between 7%-10% this year. We'll be breaching the £400 in 2 years.

For me last year, then new price was now made me stop and think alot more. It was a mental thing. sub £300 I could cover and not it's a conscious saving exercise. Once you start hitting the upper £300s alot of people are priced out. You do then get a different type of demographic. 

I cant see a payment scheme happening. You have 6 months to pay, if you cant pay it in 6 months, a payment scheme isn't going to help. 

8 hours ago, ProperTea said:

£375 would seem like a sensible bet. Last years price plus 10%.

Minimum wage went up the same amount, seems reasonable to me. £370 is my guess.

Important caveat that this should be framed as price stability, and not an effective price increase though. Inflation can be confusing, but it’s outside the festivals control, you need to consider the ticket price in real terms because that’s what they have to pay out to put it on.

If they didn’t keep tickets in line with inflation, the festival would get worse and worse every year, until it retrograded back to 1 stage and then evaporated. If entry was still a quid, it wouldn’t exist at all

On 9/18/2023 at 12:33 AM, gblock said:

Minimum wage went up the same amount, seems reasonable to me. £370 is my guess.

Important caveat that this should be framed as price stability, and not an effective price increase though. Inflation can be confusing, but it’s outside the festivals control, you need to consider the ticket price in real terms because that’s what they have to pay out to put it on.

If they didn’t keep tickets in line with inflation, the festival would get worse and worse every year, until it retrograded back to 1 stage and then evaporated. If entry was still a quid, it wouldn’t exist at all

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As we are breaching the £400 mark by 2025 the festival need to either have a major cost cutting initiative (probably result in a poorer festival) or need to find new revenue streams.

• Increasing capacity reduces the overheads burden but I feel like without major redesigns and management of the site any increase would ruin the festival. Its been a slog at time last couple 
  • Charging for registrations. Theres 2.4m registrations, imagine if they charged £1 each year renew it (£10 for a 10 year registration ) and use that money in easy access to accrue interest and use as investment/ emergency fund 
  • increasing the cost of stalls and traders 
  • Increase glamping

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

As we are breaching the £400 mark by 2025 the festival need to either have a major cost cutting initiative (probably result in a poorer festival) or need to find new revenue streams.

• Increasing capacity reduces the overheads burden but I feel like without major redesigns and management of the site any increase would ruin the festival. Its been a slog at time last couple 
  • Charging for registrations. Theres 2.4m registrations, imagine if they charged £1 each year renew it (£10 for a 10 year registration ) and use that money in easy access to accrue interest and use as investment/ emergency fund 
  • Increase glamping

Increasing capacity would be disastrous, unless they reduce on-site camping and increase off-site clamping (rumours that this is a possibility. 

Increasing off-site clamping would negatively impact on the demographic.

Truth is GFL have created an "out of control monster" and I don't see anyway of putting the lid on things.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Increasing capacity would be disastrous, unless they reduce on-site camping and increase off-site clamping (rumours that this is a possibility. 

Increasing off-site clamping would negatively impact on the demographic.

Truth is GFL have created an "out of control monster" and I don't see anyway of putting the lid on things.

Yeah agreed, more people means everything grinds to a halt. Longer waits for food, toilets, getting places is a slog, crush are bigger problem, more chance of crowd troubles. It's already at the peak.

Think costs are just enormous now and there are very few ways to reduce it. It has to be revenue generation now. 

Personally I think charging a yearly fee for registration is the way to go. 

15 minutes ago, fullfathom5 said:

I've got no issue with that, would put some off and might give us slightly better odds.

TBH I dont think it would make any difference at all.

If its a yearly registration fee it would have to be super low like max £2. Dont think decisions to go or not to go will be swayed by £2 fee. 

2 hours ago, aj6658 said:

• Increase glamping

Why would going past £400 make them do any of that? 

There's still demand, they could whack it up to £500 and still sell out. 

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Why would going past £400 make them do any of that? 

There's still demand, they could whack it up to £500 and still sell out. 

It's about Demographics. The festival is what it is because of the culture it's fostered for the last 50 years.

Accessibility allows of a wide range of different demos to attend from young to old. £500 would sell out but there will be large proportion of people who have historically gone now questioning it (basically doubled in price 3/4 years)

Say you got 2 kids - a family going costs 2k like you gotta realise this is a threat to the festival 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aj6658 said:

• Increasing capacity reduces the overheads burden but I feel like without major redesigns and management of the site any increase would ruin the festival. Its been a slog at time last couple there's no appetite for further capacity increases from GFL, the punters, the locals, the council - pretty much all stakeholders.
  • Charging for registrations. Theres 2.4m registrations, imagine if they charged £1 each year renew it (£10 for a 10 year registration ) and use that money in easy access to accrue interest and use as investment/ emergency fund I'm not sure this would be legal and even if it is, it wouldn't be well received. 
  • increasing the cost of stalls and traders costs will be passed on to the customer and food already expensive this year
  • Increase glamping I'd say this is the most likely of your suggestions - increase pre erected operations run by the festival and campervan spaces.  Both sell out quickly indicating more could be sold. 

One thing you don't mention is the possibility to increase advertising, sponsorships and partnerships to create revenue streams.  It's not previously been how Glasto operate but it's the one obvious thing that could be done.  I'm not very keen on the idea but I'd rather have a sponsor on a stage name than lose the stage entirely, like we saw last year. 

5 minutes ago, stuie said:

One thing you don't mention is the possibility to increase advertising, sponsorships and partnerships to create revenue streams.  It's not previously been how Glasto operate but it's the one obvious thing that could be done.  I'm not very keen on the idea but I'd rather have a sponsor on a stage name than lose the stage entirely, like we saw last year. 

the Pyramid sponsored by Toblerone ? 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think when we're breaching £400 for a ticket I think people would be absolutely fine paying £1 to register if it helped slow the ticket price rise. Easily make 800k-1.6m a year to fund future investment.

I think once you start making Glastonbury corporate it opens a door which I rather no open. When I went to Bestival, I felt like it was so corporate and I hated it 

2 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I think when we're breaching £400 for a ticket I think people would be absolutely fine paying £1 to register if it helped slow the ticket price rise. Easily make 800k-1.6m a year to fund future investment.

I think once you start making Glastonbury corporate it opens a door which I rather no open. When I went to Bestival, I felt like it was so corporate and I hated it 

you are basing this on 2.4 million registrations ? I mean that isn't anywhere near individual registrations that's what the farm say to inflate demand ... they've actually done an interesting bit of work asking people to confirm their registrations which will be more accurate ... however this will still mean some have 2