2024 headline speculation

airwaves

6 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Hmm. I don't like reading too much into coded comments, but we know Simon's a huge fan and there's interviews in which Lankum members talk about the Watersons being the big influence on their embrace of trad-folk.

You'd be right not to. More in hope, really. They knocked it out of the park in Bristol last night.

16 minutes ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Probably just me, but I'm not getting massive vibes of excitement from this announcement announcement. Very matter-of-fact. Keeping expectations low perhaps?

Nah it’s just the words of a single social media person and doesn’t mean much.

Plus I checked and they used the same ‘write it down’ wording last year too.

Well anything has to be better than last year's headliners surely. They could put on a dog that can say 'sausages' and give it a 45 min slot and it would literally be more entertaining than more than half of last year's headliners. 

'Sausages' 

11 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Probably just me, but I'm not getting massive vibes of excitement from this announcement announcement. Very matter-of-fact. Keeping expectations low perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Agreed re last years headliners, awful stuff and they can hardly do worse but it doesnt seem as though this year will be significantly better either so heres to another strong undercard

I disagree, some of the possible names for this year look strong:

Sleater Kinney, Slowdive, Lankum, The Decemberists, Phoenix, Big Thief

All seem possible

Every year the lineup comes out. Every year I’m like “Who are 80% of these bands? Every year I spend six months listening to them in the lead up. Every year I go to the festival and it’s an incredible four days of fantastically curated music.

I’m not expecting my jaw to hit the floor when the lineup drops, but I already know EOTR 24 will be my favourite weekend of the summer.

• Like 1

There was some really great stuff there last year, just not enough of it. A lot of filler. There were multiple times when there was nothing we wanted to see on and what was on was all very similar. That shouldn't happen with four stages. 

23 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Love how some in here appear to be writing off the line-up before it's even announced.

There's a post in the 2023 line-up thread in March from someone confidently predicting that there'd be such a backlash that that the festival would be cancelled for poor ticket sales. Instead it sold out two months in advance and got great reviews practically across the board.

Thinking the standard wording of the date announcement is an admission of failure in and of itself sounds like "damned if they do, damned if they don't" to me.

27 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Love how some in here appear to be writing off the line-up before it's even announced.

If it is anything like last year I will have a stacked "must see" list with clashes all over the place. Bring it on!

Yeah, lets wait until Weds before moaning lol

Last years was loads of fun and i saw lots of great music. Theyve earnt a certain amount of trust with their selections

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

I disagree, some of the possible names for this year look strong:

Sleater Kinney, Slowdive, Lankum, The Decemberists, Phoenix, Big Thief

All seem possible

Out of those i would only see SK but realise these are appropriate acts for eotr. Also seriously doubt phoenix.

I've been almost completely wrong for three years straight now, but I bet the headliners will be at least one of these: Phoenix, MGMT, Big Thief (or maybe Angelina Lenker on the garden stage), Alvvays, The Smile, idles, ANOHNI and the Johnsons, and the Nation of Language headlining the Big Top. Given my track record though it might be better to just rule these ones out instead.

Edited by Unknownetroer