Green Man 2024

bexj

Agree with others ….weak headliners this year.

I really don’t get the fuss with Big Thief . Saw them in small venue around the time of Masterpiece , might have been first UK dates . Guitarist Buck Meeks was the highlight but I really struggled with the singers over emoting . We get it, you are a sensitive soul. It just got embarrassing tbh. I had to walk away watching them at a festival a few years ago for the same reason. Was it GM ? Can’t remember.

All my opinion of course, as plenty of folk seem to like them. Just don’t see them as an exciting headline act myself.

3 hours ago, Kempleton said:

That said, if the clashes between Jon Hopkins/Explosions in the Sky and Big Thief/Black Country New Road actually happen, I will hold you personally responsible.

At least the former of these isn't the case any more as EITS have self-confirmed for Sunday. (Have made a couple of other small changes based on availability and likelihood too)

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

At least the former of these isn't the case any more as EITS have self-confirmed for Sunday. (Have made a couple of other small changes based on availability and likelihood too)

You’ve just made my day.

2 hours ago, thespiral said:

Agree with others ….weak headliners this year.

I really don’t get the fuss with Big Thief . Saw them in small venue around the time of Masterpiece , might have been first UK dates . Guitarist Buck Meeks was the highlight but I really struggled with the singers over emoting . We get it, you are a sensitive soul. It just got embarrassing tbh. I had to walk away watching them at a festival a few years ago for the same reason. Was it GM ? Can’t remember.

All my opinion of course, as plenty of folk seem to like them. Just don’t see them as an exciting headline act myself.

I was a lot more excited to see them before I saw on their setlist that they hardly play any of their first two albums. I'm sure the new stuff is great but there's so many fantastic songs they're leaving behind.

First Green Man for us and more than happy.

We knew there would be loads we did not know but  a fun day listening to new stuff and we have 34 acts on a long short list with a dozen or more 'must sees'.

Looking forward to a week of exploring (even though we only live 45 mins away) as we are in the Settlement.

It will be lovely arriving when in previous years we have driven past and still had 3.5 hours to go to get to Beautiful Days.

I really like sleaford mod and seen them a few times, but definitely a weak headliner. Also gutting about a few emissions such as pixies, beth gibbons, tara clerkin trio, ulrika spacek etc… but hopefully see some more good stuff with acts to come. 

Despite that though I am actually really chuffed with a lot of what’s on offer, omar souleyman, sherelle, osees, lemoncello & beak are some great highlights for me too

1 minute ago, Long Season said:

I really like sleaford mod and seen them a few times, but definitely a weak headliner. Also gutting about a few emissions such as pixies, beth gibbons, tara clerkin trio, ulrika spacek etc… but hopefully see some more good stuff with acts to come. 

Despite that though I am actually really chuffed with a lot of what’s on offer, omar souleyman, sherelle, osees, lemoncello & beak are some great highlights for me too

Initally thought i'd be disappointed with Pixies but now i'm wishing they were instead of Mods. Bit of a bummer for the first day as well, hopefully the other stage has some good energy.

37 minutes ago, AtomsForPizza said:

Doesn't really matter now...but do we know which act was 51.05254758326447, -1.7005875500564496 / George Barclay dog beds / "A cat named Anne" now?! It's been bugging me 

All I can think now is it has something to do with Mannequin Pussy...Pussy - cat/Anne in Mannequin...but can't put it together.

• Upvote 2

Definitely disappointing ... got into Big Thief from they debut Masterpiece and saw them in the Walled Garden Greenman (plus an acoustic solo set by Adrienne) ... great band just about worthy of headlining the Mountain Stage. The rest are very meh.

Much better further down the order ... EITS and BCNR should be awesome.

Also ... Hurray for The Riff Raff, Devendra Banhart, Nadine Shah, Bar Italia, Wednesday, Mannequin Pussy, Fat White Family, Mount Kimbie ... plenty to look foward to.

BUT ... Death Cab for Cutie (playing Cardiff) and The National are touring. Grandaddy are on the road again.

Los Campesinos! (an amazing band with huge Welsh connections) are also touring. Not a headliner but should have been a shoe-in.

Hopefully some last minute announcements to come ... fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, daveh said:

BUT ... Death Cab for Cutie (playing Cardiff) and The National are touring.

The National are also playing Cardiff, the castle in fact. As with New Order, another name that kept coming up, there's no way they or DCFC/PS were going to play two big south Wales gigs in one summer.

Evening all. First time poster in here. Contrary to some of ye, I love the look of that lineup and would defo consider heading over from Dublin for it. Have spent years gazing wistfully at Green Man lineups and vowing someday I'd make the jaunt. Following a wildly successful weekend at EOTR last year, this could be my year. Now. I've no ticket. How does it generally work. Do many generally come up for resale closer to the day? Would I be safe enough going ahead with my other arrangements or is that tempting fate? Any advice appreciated. 

Bit of a mixed bag.  

Big Thief and Jon Hopkins would be good headliners for me.  Check out Hopkins’ Glastonbury West Holts 2019 set - looked fantastic. I think Sampha is a good choice, although I’m not a massive fan. Sleaford Mods obviously woeful.

The next lot of acts are mostly a bit bland or crap - nothing hugely exciting apart from Julia Holter (!!), and arguably Omar Souleyman and Max Cooper (av). That said, I’d be happy to see JAMC, EITS, Osees, Tinariwen, Blonde Redhead and Joy Orbison. Arlo Parks and BCNR on there taking up high slots just makes the whole thing look way worse.  

There’s a lot of good stuff in the next lot of acts, though.  Lonnie Holley would be my no. 1 must see, amazing artist.  Released my favourite album of last year.  Others I’d be keen to see: Model Actriz, One Leg One Eye, Bar Italia, Wednesday, Bdrmm, John Francis Flynn, Hotline TNT, Mannequin Pussy, Loraine James, King Creosote, Sofia Kourtesis, Blue Bendy, Tapir!, Ugly, Cerys Hafana and Maruja. 

There’s a band on there that sound great from the description called Brown Wimpenny.  They sound like an experimental folk group along the lines of Shovel Dance Collective.  One for fans of them, Lankum, Oxn, Broadside Hacks I expect. 

45 minutes ago, daveh said:

Definitely disappointing ... got into Big Thief from they debut Masterpiece and saw them in the Walled Garden Greenman (plus an acoustic solo set by Adrienne) ... great band just about worthy of headlining the Mountain Stage. The rest are very meh.

Much better further down the order ... EITS and BCNR should be awesome.

Also ... Hurray for The Riff Raff, Devendra Banhart, Nadine Shah, Bar Italia, Wednesday, Mannequin Pussy, Fat White Family, Mount Kimbie ... plenty to look foward to.

BUT ... Death Cab for Cutie (playing Cardiff) and The National are touring. Grandaddy are on the road again.

Los Campesinos! (an amazing band with huge Welsh connections) are also touring. Not a headliner but should have been a shoe-in.

Hopefully some last minute announcements to come ... fingers crossed.

Poster does say lots more to come

50 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Evening all. First time poster in here. Contrary to some of ye, I love the look of that lineup and would defo consider heading over from Dublin for it. Have spent years gazing wistfully at Green Man lineups and vowing someday I'd make the jaunt. Following a wildly successful weekend at EOTR last year, this could be my year. Now. I've no ticket. How does it generally work. Do many generally come up for resale closer to the day? Would I be safe enough going ahead with my other arrangements or is that tempting fate? Any advice appreciated. 

Last year I got on with the organisation and plenty of tickets became available. It takes a while though. I had a few nervous weeks of getting no alerts or only alerts for a parking pass or something else but then 3-4 weeks before, there were plenty of options.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Last year I got on with the organisation and plenty of tickets became available. It takes a while though. I had a few nervous weeks of getting no alerts or only alerts for a parking pass or something else but then 3-4 weeks before, there were plenty of options.

Register with Fanticks and set up notifications on a Green Man search, also follow Fanticks on ‘X’. I bought my tickets in Jan last year and a mate bought 2 adult 2 kids about a month before. You pay a higher booking fee but note much.

I would anticipate there’ll be a lot of people deciding if the lineup is up their street and if not selling up.

Good luck, it’s a great weekend.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, zzzfest2.0 said:

Just thinking. Were The Jesus And Mary Chain the Thursday headliner instead of Sleaford Mods, the disappointment would be less even though the line-up is the same. No?

A little as at least there would be someone else on when Sleaford Mods were playing.

1 hour ago, WillEds said:

Register with Fanticks and set up notifications on a Green Man search, also follow Fanticks on ‘X’. I bought my tickets in Jan last year and a mate bought 2 adult 2 kids about a month before. You pay a higher booking fee but note much.

I would anticipate there’ll be a lot of people deciding if the lineup is up their street and if not selling up.

Good luck, it’s a great weekend.

Cheers lads, much appreciated. 

52 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

A little as at least there would be someone else on when Sleaford Mods were playing.

Someone like Beth Gibbons?

If it’s asking too much, The Wedding Present, Sea Power, The Chameleons, New Model Army etc will do.

Headliners don’t blow me away - esp awful s/mods - but a strong undercard. Hoping that there is another headliner yet to be announced as expect Jon Hopkins to be in late night BIcep / confidence man slot on far out stage. Surely?