Travel

Crazyfool01

UK summer holiday for us with a toddler in tow. We’re having a wet weekend near the Brecon Beacons. Went to the National Showcaves today (highly recommend for any families) and booked the Brecon steam train for tomorrow. Any other suggestions or recommendations around here?

We popped into Merthyr Tydfil earlier and it all seemed eerily quiet…

20 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

UK summer holiday for us with a toddler in tow. We’re having a wet weekend near the Brecon Beacons. Went to the National Showcaves today (highly recommend for any families) and booked the Brecon steam train for tomorrow. Any other suggestions or recommendations around here?

We popped into Merthyr Tydfil earlier and it all seemed eerily quiet…

Not sure this would be possible with a toddler but climbing Pen Y Fan is great. Beautiful views from the top on a clear day. 

Another thing you could do is a day trip to Cardiff, probably about 45 minutes from you depending on where you are in Brecon. Pretty much anything you wanted to do here. 

Also about an hour from you are some Showcaves which always seem to be popular for families: https://www.showcaves.co.uk/

16 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Anyone any singles holiday recommendations ? Or travel companies ? 

I watch a guy on YouTube who does tours through a company called intrepid travel - its like small group tours but people go solo and you obv meet people in your group. I imagine it’s expensive though and a lot of them are outside Europe 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I watch a guy on YouTube who does tours through a company called intrepid travel - its like small group tours but people go solo and you obv meet people in your group. I imagine it’s expensive though and a lot of them are outside Europe 

Hadn’t thought about YouTube … I’ve looked at specific single holidays and it does seem that a premium is paid . But will check that angle out thanks 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Showcaves were a big hit!

Will look into the others, thanks. Think tomorrow us a washout so might be a soft play day!

Might try and go to Cantref Adventure Farm and then Hay-on-Wye for a late lunch.

Re: solo travel. A friend went on one a few years back. Will try and dig out the name.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hadn’t thought about YouTube … I’ve looked at specific single holidays and it does seem that a premium is paid . But will check that angle out thanks 

I see a lot of people doing solo city breaks these days. If i were you I’d just take a random week of annual leave and go on sky scanner and see where has cheap flights from your nearest airport.

16 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I did Peru and Africa as a solo traveller through G-adventrues and intrepid. I cant remember paying a premium as they will let you share with other (same gender) solo travellers.

15 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

I see a lot of people doing solo city breaks these days. If i were you I’d just take a random week of annual leave and go on sky scanner and see where has cheap flights from your nearest airport.

Literally what I usually do.

Quite often picking two different cities to fly in to then back from and giving myself a week or two to travel between them depending.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:33 PM, fraybentos1 said:

Did that to visit Madrid and Valencia in May, having also done it in 2018 and 2019 before some disease got in the way of my 2020 plans. It's something I'm up for doing again with the right fit in October, if I can get the right price.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2023 at 10:09 AM, annlopez said:

I recently got married and I'm choosing a place for my honeymoon, what can you advise

If you prefer seeing and doing stuff rather than relaxing on a beach the whole time, then I'd wholeheartedly recommend any of the following, depending on the time of year:

Brazil & Argentina

Cuba

Costa Rica

Vietnam & Cambodia

If you don't want to arrange it all yourself, you can save a lot of money by using a local travel agent rather than a UK based one. Most of the UK agents simply palm it out to a local agent and whack on a couple of grand for good measure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...