Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Just got the priority confirmation email from Oxfam.

25th January it opens

Me too! 

Double qualified this year - done 2 festivals this year and supervised for 3 years in a row.

The only bit of money I’m looking forward to spending in January! 😀

33 minutes ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

I find the restrictions odd.  Any volunteering for charity is valuable and most companies have very low uptake rates of the option.  Restrictions lower the number of days taken.  A hallmark of companies who don't actually care.

Not that odd. Most companies don't care.

Get to look good because they offer it. Costs them less because not many take them up on it. From their perspective it's a win

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

As a civil servant I was not allowed to use volunteering days for the festival as it was deemed that I was "getting something out of it". Not even just for the 24 hours of actual shift time.

I know civil servants that have used it so it's not consistent.

Also that's totally stupid reasoning because you get something out of all volunteering. 

I lean heavily on the management and leadership skills you develop, dealing with challenging customers and problem solving skills to sell it.

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I know civil servants that have used it so it's not consistent.

Also that's totally stupid reasoning because you get something out of all volunteering. 

I lean heavily on the management and leadership skills you develop, dealing with challenging customers and problem solving skills to sell it.

Similar employment and also drawn a blank with volunteer leave. Folk always mention how the optics will look etc.

I have to explain the optics are not so great when you are cleaning out a long drop cubicle on a Saturday morning at 7am after an hour's sleep at the start of shift and it's already 25 degrees. Sat 2019. Hell in a khazi 

On 12/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, MrZigster said:

As a civil servant I was not allowed to use volunteering days for the festival as it was deemed that I was "getting something out of it". Not even just for the 24 hours of actual shift time.

I am allowed to use my volunteering day for a litter picking day at Glastonbury - I usually choose the Monday as there's nothing fun going on. Not that my work would care. 

On 12/11/2023 at 2:56 PM, dondo said:

Nothing for myself who goes direct as opposed to the charity route. 

Hiya dude, I spoke to Fi - for those of us non veterans who completed a successful shift last year we will be invited back in January.  I presume Vets will be slightly earlier than those of us who are non vets  

28 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Hiya dude, I spoke to Fi - for those of us non veterans who completed a successful shift last year we will be invited back in January.  I presume Vets will be slightly earlier than those of us who are non vets  

Excellent. Thanks for the update 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Giraffe Man said:

E-Mail from Fiona today saying the recycling invitations to vets are going to be a bit later due to some tech issues but will be on their way soon. 

Any confirmation if they will be taking recommendations for new volunteers this year from existing volunteers?

21 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

Any confirmation if they will be taking recommendations for new volunteers this year from existing volunteers?

Nothing in the email but current crew can usually recommend newbies, it doesnt mean a confirmed spot though. Anecdotally there are more returnees every year which leaves less  spots but there are always some first timers there so always worth trying. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Giraffe Man said:

Nothing in the email but current crew can usually recommend newbies, it doesnt mean a confirmed spot though. Anecdotally there are more returnees every year which leaves less  spots but there are always some first timers there so always worth trying. 

yep - I was with a group of 4 first timers last year - on the post festi shifts 

On 1/2/2024 at 1:19 PM, Giraffe Man said:

Yeah, equally there's always vets who decide that that was the last one or conversely newbies who decide that wasn't for them at all.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ewan88 said:

Would a kind soul consider recommending my wife & I for the recycling crew? We're looking to find any way to help volunteer for the festival so would greatly appreciate any help.

If you don’t know anyone, chances are slim and it’s unlikely to happen from a single post on the forum. Your best bet is to check opportunities on the spreadsheet further up the thread.

Edited by Festival Sounds Podcast
  • Upvote 1