So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

True. I definitely like the scale and the range.  Getting the opportunity to see the global megastars (Elton, Lizzo, Lil Nas X) alongside the hot new buzz acts (Fred Again, Raye, Flo), with a cheeky Legend Slot and a Churnups style secret set thrown in for good measure.

I could save on the headline amount in quid by seeing a smaller festival headlined by The Levellers, but I'd wind up with less value for money.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is though that the cost of all the Glastonbury alternatives- whether a different festival or a jaunt abroad - have also risen commensurately. Glastonbury is still, relatively speaking, a bargain.

Very much so. But if the lineup isn't tickling you, its a long and expensive slog to just catch up with a few mates and have a mooch about.

Think I have settled on having a year off in 2024. Was going to try for tickets then decide whether we go later based on the line up but with deposit being £75, so for 2 of us that's potentially £150 down the pan. Reasons being getting married end of May, then honeymooning until mid June so lots of expense and time off work, and also the headliner names being thrown around aren't drawing me in too much.

I know when its on I will have major FOMO. Still going to be trying on ticket day for my mate who sorted me out last year so still get that Sunday morning excitement

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Very much so. But if the lineup isn't tickling you, its a long and expensive slog to just catch up with a few mates and have a mooch about.

Familiarity with the place can dull the excitement a bit for the regular attendee if they're not arsed about much of what's been programmed.  

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Familiarity with the place can dull the excitement a bit for the regular attendee if they're not arsed about much of what's been programmed.  

Yeah. Which is why Id like to see a change in the SE Corner. First starting going it wasnt there but you could find some madness in the Stone Circle or LV or just in random places. Was quite loose still even post fence.

Then 09/10 etc with the new SE Corner and Arcadia. And even up to 2013 ish with the Tokyo underground type vibe, microvenues. Its just been a late night Ket fest since then really. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah. Which is why Id like to see a change in the SE Corner.

The whole of the SE corner needs a massive revamp. It's stale as now.

Unfairground needs binning, Shangri-La needs a complete redesign and a new theme. Block 9 and The Common aren't too bad, but some sort of change would be good just to keep things interesting.

It's an area living on it's reputation and the myth of being the "naughty" corner, which brings in the tourists in droves.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

All costs money. I assume they're still trying to replenish their cash reserves after being scuppered by covid two years on the bounce.

Exactly... and the cost of everything rising at the same time. 

Problem is, no one wants to pay for all this desired change - the ticket price rises and people complain about the value for money but expect the festival to magic up a completely new SEC playground for them to play in every year. 

You'll get a new Arcadia this year and a replacement for Genosys I'm sure - but that's about it. 

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

It's a bargain if you go and see (and enjoy) the big ticket acts. If you're wandering around the Avalon/hanging out at the 50p tea tent/sitting in the stone Circle, not so much. @Woodersonbought it into sharp relief for me the other week, with a superb observation "If scale isnt your thing (don't think it ever has been for you) then current iteration of Glasters ain't for you.". More than anything else, that's crystallised my thoughts on where I am with the big G.

Notwithstanding that, think I'll try for tickets next month, then see where we are after that. 

I'm always inspired by the scale offering. Been along for the ride since this emphasis really took hold. In my mind no question that the shift is driven by the BBC's involvement and the onset/importance of social media. These factors converted the festival from a crusty mecca for the disassociated into the central entertainment event of the Great British Summer. The fest has moved far beyond the "mooch around" concept with this evolution and the parallel upswing in ticket price point.

On a muddy year I would struggle to see value absent a transcendent headlining performance. Spending 200 to wobble around a muddy field for 5 days avoiding the 'Mid made sense given the occasion and chance at stumbling on something noteworthy. Now, if anything I think its kinda sad. Going to the G and avoiding the Pyramid doesnt make much sense to me given the pricetag.

Edited by Wooderson

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I'm always inspired by the scale offering. Been along for the ride since this emphasis really took hold. In my mind no question that the shift is driven by the BBC's involvement and the onset/importance of social media. These factors converted the festival from a crusty mecca for the disassociated into the central entertainment event of the Great British Summer. The fest has moved far beyond the "mooch around" concept with this evolution and the parallel upswing in ticket price point.

On a muddy year I would struggle to see value absent a transcendent headlining performance. Spending 200 to wobble around a muddy field for 5 days avoiding the 'Mid made sense given the occasion and chance at stumbling on something noteworthy. Now, if anything I think its kinda sad. Going to the G and avoiding the Pyramid doesnt make much sense to me given the pricetag.

Nice post.

There's no way I'd even consider going if I had to pay.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Which actually seems a decent result given that this year saw the debut of things like The Levels and No(w)here.

IICON only came in 2019, the year before covid f**ked everything too.  People go on like it's just been the same for years. 

I agree UFG needs a lift, however. 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

IICON only came in 2019, the year before covid f**ked everything too.  People go on like it's just been the same for years. 

2019 also had things like The Wormhole and the Arcadia Crane, and 2022 saw the arrival of Platform 23, San Remo, Lonely Hearts Club and The Spinney

I don't think they do stand still all that much either.

Ironically, The Unfairground is probably the bit of the sshe that most embodies pre Beeb crustie era Glastonbury, and noone seems to like it all that much.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ironically, The Unfairground is probably the bit of the sshe that most embodies pre Beeb crustie era Glastonbury, and noone seems to like it all that much.

True

But I've often argued that it go more that way. IMO Car henge should have been located there, along with a stage designed in the fashion of the old Wango Rileys stage.

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

True

But I've often argued that it go more that way. IMO Car henge should have been located there, along with a stage designed in the fashion of the old Wango Rileys stage.

Arf. I'd already forgotten about the vertical cars.

I thought Wango Riley had a stage in the UFG for a few years - but that's also slipped down the memory hole again.

Danger of bringing things back imho. You can't cross the same river twice.  See also the Spirit of 71 Stage.

The BBC have been involved for nearly 30 years now.

As much as the set-dressing of the SE corner might feel old, they're still pulling their weight in terms of acts right? 

Like I've said a few times, it's T&C for me that has fell massively behind the times. Other places just do it better now.

15 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When you accumulate the time and total costs, more than ever it's become a comparison of value for money against other activities. This year, it's evident that more people are reviewing their options a lot more, whereas before 2020, for most it would be unthinkable to even consider an alternative. It was Glastonbury and nothing else. I'm not sure that's the case anymore, particularly for those who might be thinking they've experienced everything the festival has to offer. Hopefully those potential spaces give opportunities for new attendees to come in, experience the wonders of the Farm and the festival evolves alongside them.

This is exactly what it is for me. We've booked a 5 night trip to LA in a few weeks. Flights and hotel have come to pretty much the same cost as our 2 tickets

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Thing is though that the cost of all the Glastonbury alternatives- whether a different festival or a jaunt abroad - have also risen commensurately. Glastonbury is still, relatively speaking, a bargain.

I have said this for years but I am not so sure it holds as true now. Size and range wise it’s incomparable, but there is still only so much one person can do in the time they are there.

If my & the OH wanted to get tickets this year that’s £720 for tickets and £200 for the caravan - £920. Throw in the petrol to get the caravan down there & you can round that up to £1000. Lots of people are are glamping, or going for £300 pitches for bigger cara/campervans & it comes out higher. Obviously lots are camping, but I’m comparing like for like below and you can knock live in vehicle/acccommodation costs off any of them if you are still a camper and come to the same conclusions.

Obviously Beautiful Days & Beat Herder, (2 other festivals we are considering next year) are a lot smaller, but either will come in at less than half of that.

The price gap didn’t used to be that big. 

Also - check out Sziget - a 10 day festival with 6 full days of music for £279 a ticket. You can stay in an nice apartment in the city for 10 days for another £200-250 & flights from Manchester to Budapest currently start at £189/person total for the 2 of us - Total - £1140 - not much more than Glastonbury for another festival which also has a huge variety of big name and offbeat acts, quirky areas to explore, twice as many days, in a beautiful city where good weather is almost guaranteed. A brilliant festival AND a proper holiday.

Glastonbury compares well to other ‘BiG’ festivals in the UK for value, but medium sized festivals are half the price, and abroad festivals can be about the same price. I’ve been to Primavera and Mad Cool and I don’t think they bear any comparison to Glastonbury, but Sziget, whilst not the same, actually does stand up to comparison on alot of levels.

I’m not sure the ‘it’s still the best value’ argument stands up as well as it used to anymore.

• Upvote 2

I also agree T&C needs a good overhaul. I went to a couple of small festivals this year and the comedy tents were so much better. Smaller tents but with much bigger names then we’ve been getting at Glastonbury for afew years now. The tent is far too big and stifling and yet the sound is rubbish. There aren't the same number of walkabout acts as there used to be and the side shows just arent as funny. I miss the woman with the apes 😃

Anecdotally we've already had quite a few of our large group that go every year drop out this time due to the price. I totally understand of course but I think it's worth noting that we're all late 20s/early 30s no kids, so arguably the main demographic of glasto-goers these days?  Will be interesting to see if this is reflected in the wider ticket-trying population...

6 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Anecdotally we've already had quite a few of our large group that go every year drop out this time due to the price. I totally understand of course but I think it's worth noting that we're all late 20s/early 30s no kids, so arguably the main demographic of glasto-goers these days?  Will be interesting to see if this is reflected in the wider ticket-trying population...

Isn't the average age now 39? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Of our usual group of around 30+ people we have at least 6 who went this year but aren't trying for 2024 tickets for various reasons with a few more still to confirm. However, we already have 2 who haven't been involved since 2019 back in and a request to add a few more.