Car Parking Security

Brendan110_00

One year (2002 if I recall) a friend of a friend took his beaten up old banger, which had doors that wouldn't lock. As a security measure, he removed the steering wheel and left it in his tent. Of course on the first night, his tent was broken in and all his weed, beer and said steering wheel was stolen.

Think he ended up leaving the car there and getting a train home.

• Like 1

A mate of mine has his roof rack stolen from the blue car parks, which he's mighty f**ked off about! first time someone in my group has had something stolen, whether that be car park/tent/anywhere. Its a huge area to cover and impossible for stewards/security to see who owns what vehicle of course, but it still sucks - he'd got a big van and just getting up to the top is a pain, let alone bringing the right tools and removing the whole rack. Not q quick job.

They left him the bolts on the ground next to his van, which seems extra annoying. I hope their next sh*t is a swordfish. 

14 hours ago, Brendan110_00 said:

Heard a few horror stories of cars being stripped of doors, interiors this year. Car theft gangs targeting the festival going to be an increasing problem? I was in Pink 54 this year over the road which I consider off site and unsafe now 😕

Unless you have proof this is just stupid scaremongering.

apology edit: proof below v blimey!

Edited by paulshane

Not scaremongering - seems a land rover was stripped of doors and interior.

Glastonbury 2020 ... now 2022 - Page 27 - Music - PistonHeads UK

The stripping of car parts becoming more prevalent generally - not just at Glastonbury. There's been a spate of it where I live, and my wife had the fog lights taken from her car fairly recently when it was parked up on the street outside our house. 

Thieving scum. 

22 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Unless you have proof this is just stupid scaremongering.

17 minutes ago, PiratePete said:

Not scaremongering - seems a land rover was stripped of doors and interior.

Glastonbury 2020 ... now 2022 - Page 27 - Music - PistonHeads UK

The stripping of car parts becoming more prevalent generally - not just at Glastonbury. There's been a spate of it where I live, and my wife had the fog lights taken from her car fairly recently when it was parked up on the street outside our house. 

Thieving scum. 

This is on glasto chat too. It’s not stupid scaremongering I’m afraid! 

On 6/28/2023 at 9:41 PM, Brendan110_00 said:

Heard a few horror stories of cars being stripped of doors, interiors this year. Car theft gangs targeting the festival going to be an increasing problem? I was in Pink 54 this year over the road which I consider off site and unsafe now 😕

In blue 12 we saw two landrover defenders which had been stripped - bonnet / doors / seats / steering wheel the lot. I guess the only cars with no alarms? Terrifying... Not sure why there is no CCTV / security on the car parks. 

2 hours ago, hollygraff said:

Not sure why there is no CCTV / security on the car parks. 

There should certainly be patrols, they've done it in the past. 

I'd have thought CCTV may be a challenge to put in, maybe as it's effectively for only 6 days, needs to cover several massive fields and would  need to use wireless and battery, rather than data cables and mains power?   (have never fitted CCTV anywhere myself though)

On 7/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Watchtowers like in the campsites would be an easy first defence.

I agree in principle, but ultimately that is all extra cost to be passed on to the punter.

Also due to the traffic issues/green agenda Glastonbury won't want to be seen to be promoting car usage, anything done to improve parking security could be construed as facilitating that. 

That said I'd be miffed if I'd paid £55 to park and this was allowed to happen, despite the small print of "no liability for any damage or loss" 

I know not everyone has the luxury of this, but next time I will be taking the family banger - every panel on it is dented and due to be scrapped the next time it throws a big bill - rather than our nice car. 

Also the cars I have seen stripped are Land Rover 110s - sadly there is a massive national problem in stealing parts from them as they are no longer in production but there are so many on the road, combined with the fact that they come apart like a large Meccano toy. I would never leave one parked unattended for a long period of time anywhere, sadly. 

Aside from the construction of actual towers, I doubt it’d take very many more person-hours. The problem Glasto have with the stripping of these vehicles is it would appear more organised than the smash and grab of old. If they do nothing it’ll be twice as bad next year cos it’s now a known soft target. I believe catalytic converters are a highly sought after thing that are in many cars. (I am an eternal passenger and not at all car-minded but my mate had their something-something nicked amid an intense spate of it here and I feel like the “cat” sounds right 😅)

49 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Aside from the construction of actual towers, I doubt it’d take very many more person-hours. The problem Glasto have with the stripping of these vehicles is it would appear more organised than the smash and grab of old. If they do nothing it’ll be twice as bad next year cos it’s now a known soft target. I believe catalytic converters are a highly sought after thing that are in many cars. (I am an eternal passenger and not at all car-minded but my mate had their something-something nicked amid an intense spate of it here and I feel like the “cat” sounds right 😅)

That's what bothers me. Might have to start shrink wrapping the car too 😆