Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

1 minute ago, moogster said:

What shoes do you have? I sometimes reach the 20+ steps in the weekend but everyday ...ouch.

For my update, I had some pains after GL that meant I stopped running for a while, then came summer heat, thenlong holidays with nice food, Christmas... And when I tried to put on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn for a while beginning of Januray...well... there was no way I could button them. I'm guessing 4/5 kilos extra... So restarted the running, am back to easily do a 5k but I signed up as well with a cheapo sport school so that I could still sport if I had a bit of pain/it rained/it's too hot outside.

I think I'm a bit tighter around the belly but have not dared the jeans test just yet. 

With the weather we've had I've most been wearing my walking shoes even when just walking on the streets because of puddles etc. I'll admit I am feeling it a bit and won't be continuing it for the whole year it was just a bit of a jump start for January. One of my ankles in particular is telling me it's not so happy at the moment.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

One of my ankles in particular is telling me it's not so happy at the moment.

I have to say I bought a massage gun a week ago because I was fed up with the random pains and it's brilliant. Massaging the muscles does help relieving the joints !

Well my little experiment worked.

Checked the NHS app and my test results are already in.

Hba1c actually dropped very slightly (39 down to 37). at the higher end of not diabetic but still very much not diabetic.

That's the important one obviously but every other thing that's tested for was in the normal range. (Some can be affected by diabetes, some have nothing to do with it but are just part of the blood test)

I'm so f**king normal it's abnormal!

Was waiting for the bus when I checked. Actually fist pumped and shouted "yes"when I read it.

Also, those are some crazy numbers @gigpusher Think I average about 15,000 but mine are skewed upwards by some big fell days.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Well my little experiment worked.

Checked the NHS app and my test results are already in.

Hba1c actually dropped very slightly (39 down to 37). at the higher end of not diabetic but still very much not diabetic.

That's the important one obviously but every other thing that's tested for was in the normal range. (Some can be affected by diabetes, some have nothing to do with it but are just part of the blood test)

I'm so f**king normal it's abnormal!

Was waiting for the bus when I checked. Actually fist pumped and shouted "yes"when I read it.

Also, those are some crazy numbers @gigpusher Think I average about 15,000 but mine are skewed upwards by some big fell days.

Great news!!

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's weigh in was good...

Don't think this week's will be anywhere near as good. I've been strict on the diet, but have done zero additional walking / exercise due to 'life,' and my losses so far have been massively helped by increased walking. 

Think we're going to ease back in tomorrow, after our week off, by doing the Carsington Water circular walk. A nice 8 miles that is pretty flattish.  

IMG_2513.thumb.jpg.9f0164da64538640b7e13b3d1cdfd1ef.jpg

Anyway, 1 stone to go before March 16th.... Definitely cutting it a bit fine!!!

I've decided that once I hit the March target date, the next target will be to lose another 1.5 stone before Glastonbury.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Last week's weigh in was good...

Don't think this week's will be anywhere near as good. I've been strict on the diet, but have done zero additional walking / exercise due to 'life,' and my losses so far have been massively helped by increased walking. 

Think we're going to ease back in tomorrow, after our week off, by doing the Carsington Water circular walk. A nice 8 miles that is pretty flattish.  

IMG_2513.thumb.jpg.9f0164da64538640b7e13b3d1cdfd1ef.jpg

Anyway, 1 stone to go before March 16th.... Definitely cutting it a bit fine!!!

I've decided that once I hit the March target date, the next target will be to lose another 1.5 stone before Glastonbury.

Well done! I think food makes the biggest difference anyway. I have found this month my toughest in a while. Not been awful with my food but definitely been snacking a little more than normal. I think it’s a Winter thing. I always feel hungrier when it’s cold. I think some of my meals haven’t been quite as filling as well. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Well done! I think food makes the biggest difference anyway. I have found this month my toughest in a while. Not been awful with my food but definitely been snacking a little more than normal. I think it’s a Winter thing. I always feel hungrier when it’s cold. I think some of my meals haven’t been quite as filling as well. 

Thanks. 🙂 Winter is hard in more ways than one, definitely makes you want to snack more, but also makes exercising outdoors more of drag. Christmas was tough, I just didn't weigh myself for 2 weeks, and enjoyed it, but more sensibly than usual. Had a really good first few weeks of the year though. 

Food is the biggest factor by far. But they only advise a maximum calorie deficit from food of 1000 calories, which apparently yields up to 2lb loss a week. Any more than a 1000 calorie deficit from food means you're dropping too far below your base metabolic rate, and is apparently quite dangerous. They don't really advise losing more than 2lb a week full stop, but lots of experts suggest that if it's achieved with increased activity, rather than cutting too much food, then it should be safe, although may lead to an increased risk of putting it back on later. 😕 So to maximise my losses, because I'm inpatient, I've been doing lots and lots of walking. (Which obviously helps with fitness for Glasto too.)

I've discovered a new food hack recently. I really find cereals filling and I genuinely enjoy them, things like weetabix or shredded wheat especially. 2 weetabix with milk is only around 200-250 Kcal, but will fill me up for hours. Only problem is, I only like them with a good amount of Sugar. I've tried granulated sweetener before, and it just tasted rank, so always ended up skipping these healthy cereals when trying to lose weight. That was until I discovered Canderel Sugarly... What a game changer, tastes amazing on cereals. Now I can grab a filling 200-250 calorie snack / small meal that will fill me for hours any time. It really seems to help me feel fuller most of the time. 🙂 

8 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Reached the half way mark of my weight loss, 33 pounds down 33 to go. 

Also did my first outside run in almost 2 years and it wasn’t totally awful. 

Excellent work. That's about what I had to lose last year. Those milestones are always so satisfying. You must be seeing and feeling massive differences by now. 

7 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Thanks. 🙂 Winter is hard in more ways than one, definitely makes you want to snack more, but also makes exercising outdoors more of drag. Christmas was tough, I just didn't weigh myself for 2 weeks, and enjoyed it, but more sensibly than usual. Had a really good first few weeks of the year though. 

Food is the biggest factor by far. But they only advise a maximum calorie deficit from food of 1000 calories, which apparently yields up to 2lb loss a week. Any more than a 1000 calorie deficit from food means you're dropping too far below your base metabolic rate, and is apparently quite dangerous. They don't really advise losing more than 2lb a week full stop, but lots of experts suggest that if it's achieved with increased activity, rather than cutting too much food, then it should be safe, although may lead to an increased risk of putting it back on later. 😕 So to maximise my losses, because I'm inpatient, I've been doing lots and lots of walking. (Which obviously helps with fitness for Glasto too.)

I've discovered a new food hack recently. I really find cereals filling and I genuinely enjoy them, things like weetabix or shredded wheat especially. 2 weetabix with milk is only around 200-250 Kcal, but will fill me up for hours. Only problem is, I only like them with a good amount of Sugar. I've tried granulated sweetener before, and it just tasted rank, so always ended up skipping these healthy cereals when trying to lose weight. That was until I discovered Canderel Sugarly... What a game changer, tastes amazing on cereals. Now I can grab a filling 200-250 calorie snack / small meal that will fill me for hours any time. It really seems to help me feel fuller most of the time. 🙂 

I am not so scales focused as you. My goal is just to get better at being healthier with my diet and activity the majority of the time. From my personal history I know focusing on scales and trying to do too much too quickly is not sustainable for me and I am focused on the long term rather than any one date. Happy to take it slowly and let it plateau out at whatever weight it does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Excellent work. That's about what I had to lose last year. Those milestones are always so satisfying. You must be seeing and feeling massive differences by now. 

Thanks. 

Health wise I’m really feeling better now, my diet is a lot better. It’s been a mixture of diet and exercise. 

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

And well done @Alvoram

I seem to remember you struggling more to stick with it last year (apologies if I'm misremembering)  so it's even better you've put that behind you and cracked on.

Thanks Philip, yes I struggled last year, set unrealistic goals, lacked motivation in the first place, and completely lost all motivation when I wasn't hitting those goals. Although to be fair, I did stay 'fit' last year, I was doing a lot of hill hiking and camping, I just wasn't doing too well at watching what I ate. So ultimately I didn't struggle for fitness at Glasto or beyond, but I didn't really achieve my goals in terms of weight loss, pretty much ended the year where I started. (After losing some and then gaining some etc etc.) 

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I am not so scales focused as you. My goal is just to get better at being healthier with my diet and activity the majority of the time. From my personal history I know focusing on scales and trying to do too much too quickly is not sustainable for me and I am focused on the long term rather than any one date. Happy to take it slowly and let it plateau out at whatever weight it does. 

It doesn't really agree with me either, (nobody should really be going too fast.) But I put on 5 stone since lockdown overall, and with everything going on in my other hobby this year, it's an ideal time in terms of motivating factors. So I just need to shift some of that 5 stone as quickly as possible (whilst building fitness somewhat) then shift my focus completely to fitness. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes.

If I stay on track until March 16th, and hit, or get close to, that goal, it will be easy from there. As I'll be walking up to, or over, 20k steps most days, either at theme parks or hill walking and wild camping... But I gotta hit that goal first, because if I have to suffer the embarrassment of having my restraints forced closed by staff, then I will lose motivation and, like last year, just won't visit parks as much, then it's all downhill from there. 

Anyway, this years 'feels' different to last year... 💪🤞

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

It doesn't really agree with me either, (nobody should really be going too fast.) But I put on 5 stone since lockdown overall, and with everything going on in my other hobby this year, it's an ideal time in terms of motivating factors. So I just need to shift some of that 5 stone as quickly as possible (whilst building fitness somewhat) then shift my focus completely to fitness. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it goes.

If I stay on track until March 16th, and hit, or get close to, that goal, it will be easy from there. As I'll be walking up to, or over, 20k steps most days, either at theme parks or hill walking and wild camping... But I gotta hit that goal first, because if I have to suffer the embarrassment of having my restraints forced closed by staff, then I will lose motivation and, like last year, just won't visit parks as much, then it's all downhill from there. 

Anyway, this years 'feels' different to last year... 💪🤞

Best of luck with it. I'm very much of the opinion that there's is no one way and no secret it's just a case of finding the things that work for you. I know I probably have a bigger appetite than most so being more active than most helps me eat enough to feel satisfied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've unfortunately had to defer the Manchester marathon in April until April next year. Still running for Alzheimer's Society, but I just messed up my training plan and have injured my hamstring. Its not recovering right now, so I'm going to focus on strength work and come back stronger next year. 

Now to find something to occupy me in the meantime. Suggestions welcome please. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 4:08 PM, Kalopsia said:

I've unfortunately had to defer the Manchester marathon in April until April next year. Still running for Alzheimer's Society, but I just messed up my training plan and have injured my hamstring. Its not recovering right now, so I'm going to focus on strength work and come back stronger next year. 

I am just seeing this as I was wondering how you were getting on actually!

Sorry to hear. I sympathise as someone with sh*tty hamstrings.

What about swimming? Or a bit of upper body weights?

On 2/21/2024 at 3:08 PM, Kalopsia said:

Yeah swimming's a great low impact sport and is good for muscles all over your body. I started swimming loads over Covid and have kept it up and noticed enduring the festival much easier especially on my back later into the festival.

Liverpool Half Marathon this weekend. Not trained as much as normal due to injuries. Still got my 10 miler in last weekend.

Nursing myself to the finish line as I am raising money via sponsorship so the finish is vital rather than going for time and more training but coming up injured before the start line.

Bits starting to fail now I am 50.

Be on the tablets Pele advertised before I know it 🥴

On 2/21/2024 at 3:08 PM, Kalopsia said:

Sad to here. I was looking at Manchester Marathon (Great race I have done it twice before) as well but in November had a heel spur injury knocking me out for two months. Was up to 10 miles as well and ahead of target. Not sure I have it in me physically to do a 5th marathon at my age. Just the thought of putting in all the hard work and not getting to the start line is soul destroying. 

11 hours ago, moogster said:

I am just seeing this as I was wondering how you were getting on actually!

Sorry to hear. I sympathise as someone with sh*tty hamstrings.

What about swimming? Or a bit of upper body weights?

11 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Yeah swimming's a great low impact sport and is good for muscles all over your body. I started swimming loads over Covid and have kept it up and noticed enduring the festival much easier especially on my back later into the festival.

2 hours ago, faymondo said:

Sad to here. I was looking at Manchester Marathon (Great race I have done it twice before) as well but in November had a heel spur injury knocking me out for two months. Was up to 10 miles as well and ahead of target. Not sure I have it in me physically to do a 5th marathon at my age. Just the thought of putting in all the hard work and not getting to the start line is soul destroying. 

Thank you all, I definitely made the correct decision as its only just settling down. I went swimming a lot and learnt to love body weight exercises.

Here's hoping I can run a marathon in October! Definitely need to get back on it ahead of Glastonbury. 

• Like 1

Now I've got a volunteering place I need to get myself fit! Long covid followed by removal of a cancerous kidney in 2022 knocked my fitness massively.

But I'm up to 7k steps a day with no issue and did 13k on Saturday and was fine. So will start ramping up the walking and I've started doing 10min cardio sessions on Mrs Hew's FIIT app each morning.

20 minutes ago, BluesManP said:

I am so glad I found this thread. I thought I was alone with this! Any tips? 🙂

Depends on your goals as to who can best help you. If it's to get walking fit for Glastonbury I just recommend getting out whatever the weather but just trying to up the step count gradually so take whatever you do now as you baseline and aim to increase it by say 10%.

1 hour ago, BluesManP said:

I am so glad I found this thread. I thought I was alone with this! Any tips? 🙂

Definitely far from alone, we're all aging and some of us further along the journey than others. 

Also some fitter than others - I know gigpusher could literally walk rings around me, but March so I'm increasing my steps and other activity and still plenty of weeks to be positive. 

Your phone may have an app to track activity, which you may find helpful but not everyone finds such things beneficial. Just start doing a bit more walking or other activity you can, especially if you enjoy it/don't hate it (as applicable) 

Edited by clarkete

Is anyone (from here!) running the London Marathon this year? If so, training going okay?

I did the Leeds Marathon last year which was a few weeks before Glastonbury and I practically hopped, skipped an jumped around the festival site whereas my mates just found the daily step count way too brutal.