Elton bloody John 🚀

William Mann

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Madonna says hi. 

No doubt she’s got the hits.

But I’ve always felt she’s a bit more marmite in the like-a-ability stakes.

Where as most people love Elton.

(Could just be my perception of course). 

I was so gutted not to be there for Reg this year, but at the end of the performance my FOMO had gone. The crowd looked like they were having the greatest time and I'd have loved to have been there, but objectively the performance wasn't a GOAT for me. I was underwhelmed by the guests and perplexed why Kiki Dee wasn't wheeled on for DGBMH. This was partly down to the hype (at least in part fed by Reg himself) leading up to it. It feels like the end of a Glasto era though; it's hard to think of anyone else of this generation that can feasibly headline (apart from getting the likes of Bruce on again)

He was good, probably best thing I saw all weekend.  I wanted him t make it special . it didn't feel like he was doing anything different than his usual tour.

I wanted to feel like he was doing something at Glastonbury that he never did, something special.

this just felt like he was doing his usual tour set 

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

He was good, probably best thing I saw all weekend.  I wanted him t make it special . it didn't feel like he was doing anything different than his usual tour.

I wanted to feel like he was doing something at Glastonbury that he never did, something special.

this just felt like he was doing his usual tour set 

But.....he didn't....? 

I saw his tour 5 days earlier and it wasn't the same set.

Sure there were a lot of crossover songs, but doing things like Are You Ready For Love with a gospel choir was unique to the G.

10 minutes ago, nikkic said:

No doubt she’s got the hits.

But I’ve always felt she’s a bit more marmite in the like-a-ability stakes.

Where as most people love Elton.

(Could just be my perception of course). 

You’re probably right on that one, but a wall to wall headline set of bangers could probably do a lot to remind people why she’s the best selling female artist of all time, if she’s on form. It also has the potential to be a car crash & have people saying she’s ‘too old’, ‘past it’, ‘needs to stop’. 

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But.....he didn't....? 

Sure there were a lot of crossover songs, but doing things like Are You Ready For Love with a gospel choir was unique to the G.

Yep it was totally different from the show we saw in April. 

Huge upgrade. 

17 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

You’re probably right on that one, but a wall to wall headline set of bangers could probably do a lot to remind people why she’s the best selling female artist of all time, if she’s on form. It also has the potential to be a car crash & have people saying she’s ‘too old’, ‘past it’, ‘needs to stop’. 

I’m seeing her in November, so hoping it’s the former! 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Probably had more 'fun' at GnR as we were all high as kites and surrounded by a bunch of folk in exactly the same mood - so it was an absolute hoot.

But Elton was objectively the better show.

Definitely. It’s hard to see where the fest goes from there in terms of historical significance, weather, crowd,  massive name bringing the hits and a unique set, international attention etc.

Theres some logic to going for three younger headliners next year to diffuse expectations and completely bodyswerve trying to follow it up.

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tracklist of the Greatest Hits album she released last year still a bit of a curate's egg.

I’m of an age where my idea of a Greatest Hits set is The Immaculate Collection from start to finish and a couple of others. Which isn’t what we’ll get.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’m of an age where my idea of a Greatest Hits set is The Immaculate Collection from start to finish and a couple of others. Which isn’t what we’ll get.

Yes, with the likes of Ray of Light, Music and Hung Up in there too. But not.much from the last 15 years or so.

11 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Definitely. It’s hard to see where the fest goes from there in terms of historical significance, weather, crowd,  massive name bringing the hits and a unique set, international attention etc.

Theres some logic to going for three younger headliners next year to diffuse expectations and completely bodyswerve trying to follow it up.

Why do they need to go anywhere re "historical significance, weather, crowd,  massive name bringing the hits and a unique set, international attention etc."  If EJ is the end fine, they've had a good run. As we all know tickets will sell out anyway, so where's "the problem".

Going for three younger headliners should be the default anyway. Last year, with the exception of Macca, should be the template going forward.

And if GFL can dig up any more old duffers, then put them in the legends slot.

Edited by Skip997

On 6/28/2023 at 10:14 PM, Justiceforcedave said:

Is there anyone left who could pull off a hit-packed set of that magnitude? Only band that springs to mind is Fleetwood Mac... but without Christie and Lindsey are they even really Fleetwood Mac anymore? Also not sure there would be the sense of occasion which definitely elevated the whole shebang. 

Fleetwood Mac wouldnt even come close to this. Seen them at IOW and meh - simply dont have the same multi generational awareness as EJ, Macca or the Stones. 

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But.....he didn't....? 

the 4 guest he brought on added nothing to the show for me , he should have just done it on his own. I didn't even notice their was a quire there until I watched back on TV .

he was amazing , could he have done more yes sooo much more, did he need to not really , but it would have been nice. I head how so many people were excited that Britney might come on, he  could have done more

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Madonna says hi. 

Madonna has the potential to be outstanding, but she won't touch Relton when it comes to the Moment factor. It's hard to see how his final UK touring gig, the sheer number of certified bangers, the status of the fella, the mutual affection and recognition of the moment between artist and crowd, the pyrotechnics... all of that coming together, could be matched by any other active artist for the foreseeable future.

Edited by kalifire

4 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Fleetwood Mac wouldnt even come close to this. Seen them at IOW and meh - simply dont have the same multi generational awareness as EJ, Macca or the Stones. 

Was just having this conversation with a mate, I’ve been lucky to have seen those 3 above at Glastonbury plus the likes of Stevie Wonder too.  Not sure I’ll ever see something as legendary again there if I’m honest

23 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Why do they need to go anywhere re "historical significance, weather, crowd,  massive name bringing the hits and a unique set, international attention etc."  If EJ is the end fine, they've had a good run. As we all know tickets will sell out anyway, so where's "the problem".

Going for three younger headliners should be the default anyway. Last year, with the exception of Macca, should be the template going forward.

And if GFL can dig up any more old duffers, then put them in the legends slot.

Why should going for three younger headliners be ‘the default?’ That makes no sense at all. That’s as daft as saying ‘it should all be legacy headliners.’

”As we all know tickets will sell out anyway, so where's "the problem".”

The problem is they can’t be arrogant enough to think like that. As soon as they do things will slide.

18 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

the 4 guest he brought on added nothing to the show for me , he should have just done it on his own. I didn't even notice their was a quire there until I watched back on TV .

he was amazing , could he have done more yes sooo much more, did he need to not really , but it would have been nice. I head how so many people were excited that Britney might come on, he  could have done more

The guests were great. He said from the start one of the attractions of doing it was the way the festival breaks young acts. He even did a BBC special flagging up some of the upcoming acts elsewhere on the bill. Giving some the oxygen of publicity on his stage was a great idea. 

The internet might have gone way over the top expecting him to get into some kind of special guest pissing contest with Macca but that isn’t his fault. He never promised that. 

Setlist-wise he added Pinball Wizard and Are you ready for Love? and binned some more obscure tracks.

34 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Must admit at first I was a bit underwhelmed by the guests. Only afterwards I understand that Elton has his musical finger on the pulse big time. Somthing I was unaware of.  He a champion of new artists etc so fair play to him and well done.