Why so difficult to get tickets!!

Kazual

Maybe he did, or maybe it's just that he's in a position where he can now (how many of us have land we can donate for affordable homes?) 

Either way, I'm so confused as to how we got here from someone trying and failing to get tickets for ten years 🤣

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I am not going to knock him for charitable donations but loads of companies do stuff as part of their social responsibility charters.  

I am not wrong that he started contributing to the village to keep the locals sweet am I?

theres plenty of stuff he does outside of that for communities of Somerset not just the ones impacted very directly by the festival .... for example he did a charity speaking event for a local hospice that I attended and this sort of thing was fairly regular , he also does other things .... hes a bloody nice guy and if youve ever had the chance to chat to him this comes over in spades 

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

and let's be honest...  his donations to the village have been more about keeping them sweet so he could keep the show and money rolling in... 

true, but its stuff he didn't need to do when he could have banked that money for himself.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Isn't it actually the case that he allows those charities to operate at the festival.  I don't believe he or glastonbury Ltd make contributions?

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/worthy-causes/#:~:text=We are the festival's three,merchandise such as water bottles.

also plenty of charitable donations with the sale / auction of tickets this year 

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2023 at 10:13 PM, Kazual said:

Thanks for the advice so far. God knows how people get tickets every time! Must just be a luck thing?? I've had as much as 10 different friends/family try at the same timeto get tickets but no luck. I was 19 when I first tried to get tickets and I'm now nearly 44 so I might just give it up as bad job! Lol

You obviously didn't even bother in 2008/2009 - I got tickets months after they were on sale with people moaning about Jay Z headlining! Had to pay full amount mind, none of this deposit stuff.

7 minutes ago, Brendan110_00 said:

You obviously didn't even bother in 2008/2009 - I got tickets months after they were on sale with people moaning about Jay Z headlining! Had to pay full amount mind, none of this deposit stuff.

Think it was 2008 had some personal stuff going on and friends suggested we go to the festival as kind of discounted it that year. Bought tickets about 2-3 weeks before the festival. When you used to have to buy physical tickets had family buy & post from more remote parts of the UK when the local allocations had sold out. I’m a similar age & over the years had a mix of bought/working & volunteering tickets…

2 hours ago, Lubic said:

Until this year I've never struggled to get a ticket, usually securing them in the first coach sale. Last year I got through again for friends in the resale.

This year I didn't get a sniff in any sale, and did everything I could, including joining a ticket group. The resale in particular was brutally tough with the new payment system. I appreciate I may have just been 'unlucky' but some people who still think persistence will guarantee them a ticket are in for a rude awakening in October, unfortunately.

That said, a ballot is the worst idea imaginable. It would just become like Wimbledon or the London Marathon. Everyone would be trying their luck, and you'd end up going once a decade.

Why are people so sure the new system will reduce chances significantly? There'll be no failed checkouts allowing tickets to become available again during the sale process but what share of total sales did they represent anyway?  

Yes, the resale sold quickly for this year, but do we even know how many tickets were available in it? It might have been very few.

Is there some aspect of the new system I'm not accounting for?

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

back to the OPs question im more concerned than normal because of the process change .....it feels like if you dont get them within 5 mins then you wont get them 

It'll still take time to put your registration and postcode in, but yeah it'll go faster without the payments part... Good luck to us all! 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

back to the OPs question im more concerned than normal because of the process change .....it feels like if you dont get them within 5 mins then you wont get them 

is it defo changing for the october sale? this is the new thing they did with later payments in the resale yeah?

Just now, verrymerry said:

It'll still take time to put your registration and postcode in, but yeah it'll go faster without the payments part... Good luck to us all! 

removes the advantage of spreadsheets in my opinion and moves it to random help for individual groups 

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

is it defo changing for the october sale? this is the new thing they did with later payments in the resale yeah?

yeah we arent sure yet the system to be fair but personally I suspect they will stick with it as it takes the transaction failures out the equation 

Edited by Crazyfool01

Don't think they'll ever go with a ballot, just because they've no reason to. SeeTickets' job here is to get all the tickets sold in as quick a time as poss with little drama as poss. Building an entirely new ballot system gains them nothing at all. They've got a pretty great system in place already, we'll just see iterations and kinks worked out. 24 payment window is probably a lot easier to administer because alleviates the immense pressure off your payment system. They've built and proven the tech so they'll use it.

11 hours ago, Blank Expression said:

I think they should go for a long ticket sale, 8 hours random amounts of tickets at times. 
Really reward persistence 

I used to always get tickets when it took hours to sell out, I think it was close to 2pm one sunday when I got them.  It felt like your persistence was rewarded.

I really do fear what 2024 sale is going to be like. There is massive envy from friends who saw the our social media post festival + the stellar weather that we have had for 3 festivals now. 

Demand massively outstrips supply. There's no way around that. 

If they use the resale system tickets will be sold out in 5 minutes flat. Do think the current system where you have to wake up, be organised does get rid of a portion of people/ gives them a disadvantage, It maybe good to add another layer of complexity and effort to obtain tickets.

1 hour ago, dicka said:

I used to always get tickets when it took hours to sell out, I think it was close to 2pm one sunday when I got them.  It felt like your persistence was rewarded.

Same. Missed 3 of the last 4 festivals not being able to get tickets after doing 11 in a row before that 😞

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

I really do fear what 2024 sale is going to be like. There is massive envy from friends who saw the our social media post festival + the stellar weather that we have had for 3 festivals now. 

Demand massively outstrips supply. There's no way around that. 

If they use the resale system tickets will be sold out in 5 minutes flat. Do think the current system where you have to wake up, be organised does get rid of a portion of people/ gives them a disadvantage, It maybe good to add another layer of complexity and effort to obtain tickets.

Organisation is still key. If its just me and the girlfriend again (which I guarantee it will be despite our friends saying they want to come, when reality hits, they won't) then we have less chance than a group of 6. Who in turn have less chance than an organised group of 12, 18, 24 etc who only need 4 people to get through to get that many tickets.

All that changes is the persistence side of things; there are still the same amount of tickets and the more people you have trying the more likely you are to make it in 

If it is just the two of us, I'd try to get involved here. Never done it before because of the money and payment details issue (i'd do it, girlfriend wouldn't, nor would most sane normal people!) but with the new method it's less risk.