Football 2023/24

charlierc

Reading the report. effectivley £4.5m over, thought it would of been much worse:

The Premier League’s case is that a proper PSR calculation for the season 2021/2022 demonstrates losses of £124.5 million, which exceeds the sum of £105 million permitted by Rule E51 by £19.5 million. Everton accepts that it is in breach of the PSR: by the conclusion of the hearing it argued that properly calculated the breach was £9.7 million

Although a club’s target is that adjusted earnings before tax should not show a loss, the Rules provide a degree of latitude. A loss of up to £15 million is largely forgiven.

Evertons defence:

1) Richarlison was worth £80m but the league told them if they acepted £60m for Spurs within that fianical year it would be enough

2) Usminov funding pulled due ot war in Ukraine

3) Stadium planning costs due to world heritage site should be off the books.

Edited by lost

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

They're on 4 points now. Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs, City, Villa all to play in the next 6 weeks or so. They could be in trouble. 

I think they should be okay but yes, it's going to be a rough journey to that point. Especially with that as a fixture list, although Newcastle and Spurs both have injury problems so might be a bit easier than earlier in the season.

Plus there's every possibility this could come down on appeal, which Everton have already said they are likely to do. Whether Leicester and Burnley sue, as has been rumoured, could also throw another curveball into the discussion.

Edited by charlierc

6 hours ago, #1SzigetFan said:

image.thumb.png.423f948b59d517d0948661b4ee75a794.png

That's how it is, it seems... City with over 100 breaches not punished yet but Everton deducted 10 points for only one breach

I wouldn't be so sure. It's very possible the 115 breaches covering more or less the entire time Abu Dhabi has owned Manchester City makes that investigation more complicated, but there is nothing to say it has been either completed or trashed just yet.

Chelsea might have this headache to consider as well given both voluntary disclosures over potential suspect payments in the 2010s and a recent Guardian investigation about very suspect off-the-books payments hint they might have their own legal drama to come.

On 11/17/2023 at 1:50 PM, lost said:

1) Richarlison was worth £80m but the league told them if they accepted £60m for Spurs within that financial year it would be enough

As a Spurs fan: hell to the f**k no. Nice lad, runs his nuts off, but technically just plain not good enough. He's about a £30m player, if transfer fees have anything like any kind of meaning these days. Plus we gave them a great big Dele Alli discount that they're stuffed up, as well. 

17 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

As a Spurs fan: hell to the f**k no. Nice lad, runs his nuts off, but technically just plain not good enough. He's about a £30m player, if transfer fees have anything like any kind of meaning these days. Plus we gave them a great big Dele Alli discount that they're stuffed up, as well. 

spurs willingly paid that stupid fee - its what failing clubs do.

On 11/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, balti-pie said:

Apparently Spurs aren't happy about the Richarlison deal being blamed by Everton for their problems, and are considering walking away from talks to renegotiate the Dele deal, which feels as bad for Dele if it means he can't play due to Everton knowing if he gets 7 games they have to pay a £10m fee that they can't afford.

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Premier League: Newcastle clear to loan players from PIF-owned Saudi clubs after vote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67490620

And the PL becomes even more corrupt.

No idea how or why anyone still watches this farce.

Impressive that the league said this is what they wanted and it failed by two votes. I'm aware we're the ones being picked on given we were loudly ruminating others might try to block us, though even then, it's ok for other PL clubs to sell their unwanted stars to Saudi.

It's not even just the Mags though - Brighton, Crystal Palace and (Championship, sure, but still PL last year) Leicester are all part of multi-club operational models, to say nothing of Chelsea and Man City plotting big super-club networks. The issue is that FIFA and UEFA more broadly is okay with their existence imo, creating a culture for this to be accepted. And I can't say this is something I like - I don't particularly like the concept of multi-club ownership.

9 hours ago, charlierc said:

Impressive that the league said this is what they wanted and it failed by two votes. I'm aware we're the ones being picked on given we were loudly ruminating others might try to block us, though even then, it's ok for other PL clubs to sell their unwanted stars to Saudi.

It's not even just the Mags though - Brighton, Crystal Palace and (Championship, sure, but still PL last year) Leicester are all part of multi-club operational models, to say nothing of Chelsea and Man City plotting big super-club networks. The issue is that FIFA and UEFA more broadly is okay with their existence imo, creating a culture for this to be accepted. And I can't say this is something I like - I don't particularly like the concept of multi-club ownership.

That vote was never going to go through, due too the amount of multi club ownership that is in the Premier league.

I think its something like 10 clubs, with a 2 thirds majority needed. 

11 hours ago, thetime said:

That vote was never going to go through, due too the amount of multi club ownership that is in the Premier league.

I think its something like 10 clubs, with a 2 thirds majority needed. 

I'm impressed that all this effort came after we were consistently linked with loaning Ruben Neves as a stop-gap due to Tonali's long-term absence, yet the current talk is that Neves wants to stay in Saudi. Which, if he does... eh.

Be something if we end up signing nobody from Saudi given so much of the noise around this is because of Newcastle's PIF links. And like I say, I don't like multi-club ownership so I actually was okay with the idea of a ban, even if I think it is both unimpressive because of the optics that it looks like its mainly being done because of Newcastle's Saudi links, and because clubs in multi-club models could still loan players out to others (something Man City do all the time).

Apparently 8 clubs voted against it so it fell 2 short of Premier League rules to do such a revision.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, lost said:

Seems every week now 90% of chat is about VAR / finances / rules and 10% about football.

It is curious how this is turned imo. For years I often felt that the off-pitch stuff of football was under-reported as it seemed like there was a lot of intrigue in the background machinations for how the football industry works. Even after FIFA's near-implosion in 2015, it seemed to recede a bit but now, it does seem to be much more openly giving us insights into football being an unstable machine.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It is curious how this is turned imo. For years I often felt that the off-pitch stuff of football was under-reported as it seemed like there was a lot of intrigue in the background machinations for how the football industry works. Even after FIFA's near-implosion in 2015, it seemed to recede a bit but now, it does seem to be much more openly giving us insights into football being an unstable machine.

That's putting it lightly.

It's a totally corrupt disaster.

No idea how anyone can continue to watch.

On 11/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, Skip997 said:

it's kind of rough on Everton, but only because Man City haven't been dealt with yet.

yeah - fancy getting done for over spending without having built a decent team. 😛