Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

9 hours ago, xxialac said:

Contrarian here and am (relatively) concerned for next year.

Blur, Kendrick, Depeche, New Order and Rosalia were either great heritage acts or artists on top of their game and I'm not yet convinced there are such strong headliners around in 2024. 

On the other hand, the undercard is where my heart is and bound to be five stars as always.

I agree with you. However if I go back to 2023 all the standout acts from this year were not predictable at all in 2022 besides kendrick and rosalia, probably turnstile, polachek and alex g: depeche mode, blur, new order, unwound, skrillex (that I skipped but everyone must admit it was a genious booking), liturgy (last minute!!), kelela, death grips, swans, john cale and the list goes on. 
So I am confident as always.  Having someone random as a rap act like travis scott and bad bunny likely instead of kendrick or tyler at the top of their game is a weaker starting point though. 

5 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

I know many of us say it but they should just stop being greedy and stick to Barcelona and Porto

São Paulo sold very well last year, 55k each day. This year is selling well too. I think Buenos Aires is selling well again.

I don´t know what happened, but Bogotá is a smaller market than the others cities. For example, in the same weekend, Lollapalooza Brazil shares most of their names with a festival in Colombia. While here we put 95k in the site, they sell a third of that.

But, in general, doing festivals here are much more complicated. You have to spread bands in 4 festivals in 2 weekends (3 if you include Mexico), doing some gigs during the week. Everybody travelling by plane, spending money with hotels, etc. Without big sponsors, it´s impossible run a big festival here. Not to mention other problems like inflation, rates, political, violence...

On second thoght, I'm not too sure about Mitski anymore. All her European concerts are fully seated, which will be quite hard to realized at PS, the Auditori being too small and the other stages can't really adapt.

She could of course have a more festival-ready production after the seated dates, but her last date on the tour is the Thursday of PS which would make it quite hard to get the new production to run flawlessly.

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

On second thoght, I'm not too sure about Mitski anymore. All her European concerts are fully seated, which will be quite hard to realized at PS, the Auditori being too small and the other stages can't really adapt.

She could of course have a more festival-ready production after the seated dates, but her last date on the tour is the Thursday of PS which would make it quite hard to get the new production to run flawlessly.

I just assume she'll have a festival ready set up ready to go, it's not like rehearsing the Eras tour, the set design could be completely the same tbh. me and many others are under the impression the seated venue decision is to put off the crazy weird fans that turned up on the last tour.

I just don't see why she'd miss Spain if she wasn't playing Primavera and the dates are incredibly suspect given the proximity. 

• Upvote 1

I seriously doubt Mitski would sacrifice an entire summer of festival money at a new peak in her career, particularly with the kind of money Primavera can throw at her.

It'll be a set that can transfer easily to a festival stage, presumably it's just a case of swapping out some of the more low key numbers for something that works better in an outdoor setting.

Edited by jannybruck

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I seriously doubt Mitski would sacrifice an entire summer of festival money at a new peak in her career, particularly with the kind of money Primavera can throw at her.

It'll be a set that can transfer easily to a festival stage, presumably it's just a case of swapping out some of the more low key numbers for something that works better in an outdoor setting.

If that involves the same musicians, yes. If she'd play the setup she had on the recent intimate gigs that'll be quite hard to transform into a festival set without any time to rehearse

I don’t think it’s a big issue I guess to switch from a seated set to a festival set. 
many bands did it. 
top of my head I think of Nils Frahm. 
saw him seated in Brighton and London. 
and standing at the primavera stage. 

Mitski could either play the Rayban stage or The auditorium. 
100% doable. 

10 minutes ago, ibo said:

I don’t think it’s a big issue I guess to switch from a seated set to a festival set. 
many bands did it. 
top of my head I think of Nils Frahm. 
saw him seated in Brighton and London. 
and standing at the primavera stage. 

Mitski could either play the Rayban stage or The auditorium. 
100% doable. 

Auditori would be way to small for her. Also its not so much about the seating vs. standing, but the "Intimacy" that her recent set had. That just would work on a open air stage

Seu Jorge at Ray Ban in 2017 was completely drowned out by Hamilton Leithauser on what was then the Pitchfork stage. Yes, you could put her there, but it'd make nobody happy with this setup.

Edited by Quadrophobia

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Were we getting bad bunny dates this year?

Pretty soon I guess, South American Lollapaloozas are announcing their lineups in the coming weeks and he’s rumoured to perform there so maybe they are also waiting for him, but for sure he should announce something in the coming months (if he’s coming to Primavera maximum end of November). 

2 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Pretty soon I guess, South American Lollapaloozas are announcing their lineups in the coming weeks and he’s rumoured to perform there so maybe they are also waiting for him, but for sure he should announce something in the coming months (if he’s coming to Primavera maximum end of November). 

Cheers just realised i said this year haha, meant this week. 

Is it me or the festivals next year are delaying the announcements? 
Usually by this time of the year we would have some European festivals announcing some names or even headliners and we would have some solid rumours.

But right now we don’t have even a solid name for headliners besides the rumours of Bad Bunny, Travis Scott, Karol G and The National, that are not even that solid.

Maybe big things are coming?  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Usually by this time of the year we would have some European festivals announcing some names or even headliners and we would have some solid rumours.

But right now we don’t have even a solid name for headliners besides the rumours of Bad Bunny, Travis Scott, Karol G and The National, that are not even that solid.

Swear it's still too early. Stay patient according to Gabi the full line up will likely be next month.

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

if these were to be the headliners I'd prefer to wait until January

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

This dynamic is rather typical if there are fewer very big names in the mix, because scenarios like this unfold.

Band A (say, Green Day) announces a world tour on a specific date (lets say, November 2nd)

Festival A (lets call it Rock am Ring) has booked them and thus has to wait to announce what will likely be their biggest act.

Band B (say, Turnstile) are also booked at Festival A and have a contract clause, that Festival A wants the right for first announcement.

So Festival B (say, Mad Cool) has booked Turnstile that is held back by a clause from Rock am RIng, so Mad Cool cannot announce them before the date that actually goes back to Green Day.

Thats f.e. what happened with the PS Line up in 2018, bc. The Arctic Monkeys had 29th of January set as their tour announcement date.

18 hours ago, xxialac said:

Considering for about 10 years we used to get the lineup in January, knowing we are getting it in November feels like a win to me and if it's less predictable this year (with fewer other festivals having announced than last year), then that's even better.

I agree here. 

I wonder if we get a few festival announcements in the next week or so to grab that end of October pay day, and that might give us a few rumours to play with. 

As it is, I have zero idea or expectations. 

That being said, the last few Primavera line ups have included quite a few surprises (some good, some bad), so it's far less predictable than it was a few years ago IMO. 

I think Primavera knows as well the sooner it gets the names out the door the quicker they can get sales in. They benefit from being one of the first festivals with 'surprising' names. Blur for example turned out to be at loads of festivals further down the line but many people would have already bought Primavera tickets. I could see this being the case next year for acts like Pulp/SZA/Travis who haven't played Europe that much recently (TIL Travis has played Spain once in 2018, so that's a great get for the festival irrespective of if i think he's problematic or kinda rubbish).