Vodafone Sim Card Required?

Tomothy123

On the webcam, it looked like the original masts went up the other day, after what I presume were Vodaphone installing their new ones a few weeks ago...

Just had another look and there now seems to be more masts on site already than last year, with a few spots that only had one mast last year already having two (different) masts this year. 

Rightly or wrongly I decided that this was confirmation that EE were still installing their network as they hinted at in the above link. 

I have an EE e-sim installed, and a Vodaphone PAYG sim for the festival, so will be able to do a comparison. Three sim will be staying at home after last year!!!

Right, think I asked about this a while back but have forgotten what was said! 
I’m with three who I know are sh*t, so I’ve got a Vodafone sim. I believe my phone (iPhone 11) is a dual sim. 
Is there any possible way that I can have the Vodafone connectivity yet use my three phone number? 
Or, I believe that if using WhatsApp there’s a way to do something so that you don’t have to tell all your friends/glasto group your new (temporary) number? I imagine most communication between friends will be on WA. 

5 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Right, think I asked about this a while back but have forgotten what was said! 
I’m with three who I know are sh*t, so I’ve got a Vodafone sim. I believe my phone (iPhone 11) is a dual sim. 
Is there any possible way that I can have the Vodafone connectivity yet use my three phone number? 
Or, I believe that if using WhatsApp there’s a way to do something so that you don’t have to tell all your friends/glasto group your new (temporary) number? I imagine most communication between friends will be on WA. 

Yes you can select which sim for data and still receive calls to the other. Also as long as you don't sign into Whatsapp on another device, it will continue to work for your three number (even if you remove your three sim).

I'm on O2 and it's always shite at the festival. Texts hours later and no internet etc. I can't remember the last time I tried to make a call after the Wed. But to be honest, I quite like it that way. I started going to the festival long enough ago that phones were useless onsite so I'm used to it. Morning confer over who's seeing what, where we'll meet and off we go. The world outside the fence is irrelevant.

39 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

Yes you can select which sim for data and still receive calls to the other. Also as long as you don't sign into Whatsapp on another device, it will continue to work for your three number (even if you remove your three sim).

Ok. Cheers. Going to have a mess now and see how I can f**k it all up. Turns out there’s no dual sim tray, so will faff with an e-sim.

f**k me. Vodafone are so sh*t!

Signed up for an e-sim via the website route for e-sims, put in payment details and have paid, but they’re sending out a physical sim. 
Only good thing I can say about them is that I’ve got through to customer services immediately, twice. 
First chap said, we send out physical sim first and then you get instructions on how to activate as an e-sim. 
After pondering that and thinking it must be bollocks (part of the reason fir e-sim is to reduce plastic waste and postage), I called gain and they can’t even find any record of the transaction despite having an emailed order number and seeing the money having been removed from my account. Absolute set of sh*t-clowns!

(currently still on the phone and they say there are no e-sims available on PAYG, despite me choosing that option!)

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Signed up for an e-sim via the website route for e-sims, put in payment details and have paid, but they’re sending out a physical sim. 
Only good thing I can say about them is that I’ve got through to customer services immediately, twice. 
First chap said, we send out physical sim first and then you get instructions on how to activate as an e-sim. 
After pondering that and thinking it must be bollocks (part of the reason fir e-sim is to reduce plastic waste and postage), I called gain and they can’t even find any record of the transaction despite having an emailed order number and seeing the money having been removed from my account. Absolute set of sh*t-clowns!

(currently still on the phone and they say there are no e-sims available on PAYG, despite me choosing that option!)

I think it’s right that e-SIMs aren’t available for PAYG - on any network.  

I’m on O2 Pay Monthly - so I called O2 and turned that into an e-SIM.  Then I went to the Vodafone website and ordered a (physical) PAYG SIM, on which I’ll get a data bundle for the festival.  

2 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

When I got our Vodaphone PAYG sims I remember it specifically saying they do not do e-sims on payg... Hence I'm leaving my three sim at home. (Dunno what you've paid, but they're entirely free, was it a top up you've pre paid for?) 

An international friend mentioned they’d had no problem at all using their sim all weekend last year, and the logic to this seemed to be that their sim would connect to whichever UK network had the strongest signal wherever they were (like our UK sims do when we’re roaming abroad) rather than being tied to one as we are. 

After having zero signal at Bearded this year I thought I’d try out the theory, so grabbed a Eurolink global esim - obviously I’ve not been able to try it on the farm, but so far it seems to be working as intended - it automatically connects to whichever local network has the best signal wherever I am, or I can manually select the one I want to use - obviously with the volume of people at Glasto none of them will be great, but it gives you 4 chances rather than just 1.

May be something to consider/explore for those with a phone capable of using an esim if you were thinking of using a PAYG sim anyway, cost will be about the same but potentially more flexibility. Just thought it worth a mention. 😊

2 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

An international friend mentioned they’d had no problem at all using their sim all weekend last year, and the logic to this seemed to be that their sim would connect to whichever UK network had the strongest signal wherever they were (like our UK sims do when we’re roaming abroad) rather than being tied to one as we are. 

After having zero signal at Bearded this year I thought I’d try out the theory, so grabbed a Eurolink global esim - obviously I’ve not been able to try it on the farm, but so far it seems to be working as intended - it automatically connects to whichever local network has the best signal wherever I am, or I can manually select the one I want to use - obviously with the volume of people at Glasto none of them will be great, but it gives you 4 chances rather than just 1.

May be something to consider/explore for those with a phone capable of using an esim if you were thinking of using a PAYG sim anyway, cost will be about the same but potentially more flexibility. Just thought it worth a mention. 😊

good shout that ... can we have a reminder next year a bit earlier please and thanks 

• Like 1

You can get a Vodafone PAYG esim - I did a week or so ago. You first need to get a physical PAYG sim and set it up. Wait a few days then go here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/webcenter/portal/myvodafone/simswap

Follow the instructions and it seems to work fine. If you wait another few days you can then port that esim to Voxi, like I have, and have a Voxi esim.