BBC Coverage 2023

gooner1990

3 minutes ago, Yakkety Yak said:

Disappointed none of Sophie Ellis Bextor, Japanese Breakfast or CMAT are on the Beeb today. Any of them would have been a nice gentle way of easing into the day's coverage/shrugging off the hangover 

Japanese Breakfast just tweeted she can’t make it - travel issues.

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

Your complaint was that this year's headliners just treat it as another show on their tours. But Miley and Springsteen wouldn't?

Miley 100% wouldn't seeing as she doesn't tour, and I don't think Springsteen would either.

Just now, Spindles said:

I happened to watch Shame when it went out, was a solid (and extremely sweaty) gig.  The bass player in particular had impressive energy throughout.

They're always fun live, and yeah the bassist gets a lot of steps in. Surprised he hasn't broken something by now. Think he must have mastered the rolling fall.

11 hours ago, K2SO said:

For my money, headliners are vital. My main interest when I go to Glasto is to watch music, and I want to see the biggest and best acts that I can't see anywhere else. This year is the worst trio of headliners for a long while in terms of that.

AM played just another date on their UK tour. GnR played just another date on this never-ending reunion tour. Elton is playing just another date on his farewell tour.

Aside from it being Elton's final UK show, there is no prestige in booking any of these headliners

I really don't understand this "demand", not only you want three world-class size headliners (which is fair), but you want them to find artists that don't play anywhere else? Or to make a special show for glastonbury? This is just... unrealistic, and kinda entitled.

And when has it ever happened? Blur, one of the most revered headline shows, literally played the exact same set (plus an extra song) in Hyde Park 4 days later. McCartney, Radiohead (yeah in 1997 too), Springsteen, many other favorites were all in the middle of a tour and largely played the same show. Maybe a guest or so. Yeah Glastonbury is big, but expecting a headline act to make a specific tour just for it? That's a bit much.

Even for your other choices - Springsteen didn't do a festival since 2014, but when he did he would just play his usual show, as he would've done this year. Maybe one or two "special" songs but you know in Glastonbury everyone would just wait for the hits, which he plays every night anyway. Miley doesn't even tour - do you expect her to put together a special show, band, rehearsals, stage design, etc just for one Glastonbury show, which doesn't even pay that much? I'm sure she'll be flattered but that is unlikely. She'll play when she's on tour, like everyone else.

Elton John playing his last UK show ever, and bringing up 4 special guests - that's about as unique as you're going to get. And that's not enough for you?

11 hours ago, K2SO said:

For my money, headliners are vital. My main interest when I go to Glasto is to watch music, and I want to see the biggest and best acts that I can't see anywhere else. This year is the worst trio of headliners for a long while in terms of that.

AM played just another date on their UK tour. GnR played just another date on this never-ending reunion tour. Elton is playing just another date on his farewell tour.

Aside from it being Elton's final UK show, there is no prestige in booking any of these headliners

Elton has booked out 2 days at Wembley arena as they're practicing a different set than what he's done for 3 years. Opening with a song he'd not played in 10 years. Has 4 special guests and has just added 2 extra screens to the pyramid.

What more do you want.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Here we go again then - my liver will be glad when this is over! 😀

First up - The Chicks. Don't know their stuff but liking the first couple of songs.

They used to be the Dixie Chicks. Recently changed their name. Huge in America and play stadium shows over there.

Edited by Benjsh

7 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Here we go again then - my liver will be glad when this is over! 😀

First up - The Chicks. Don't know their stuff but liking the first couple of songs.

Actually, scratch that - I'm not liking The Chicks...I'm absolutely loving them! Easily the best thing I've seen on the Pyramid this year.

2 minutes ago, rob.a said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66013113

People at the barrier since 4am. Well, I'm not sure what to think of that.. 😂😂

what a waste of a day at the festival, to spend the whole day there and not see anything else, forcing yourself to sit through all the other acts, what happens if they need to leave to get some food/go to the toilet mid afternoon? Will they expect everyone to let them back in?

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Actually, scratch that - I'm not liking The Chicks...I'm absolutely loving them! Easily the best thing I've seen on the Pyramid this year.

Fantastic aren't they? My dad introduced me to them about 15 years ago. Amazing voices and harmonies.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Benjsh said:

They used to be the Dixie Chicks. Recently changed their name. Huge in America and play stadium shows over there.

Yeah I know who they are - just don't think I've ever listened to them. Not sure why as I love a bit of country music. I think I'll be shopping for some records later this week!

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah I know who they are - just don't think I've ever listened to them. Not sure why as I love a bit of country music. I think I'll be shopping for some records later this week!

You're in for a treat. 

Shame country music doesn't get the exposure over here it deserves.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem with Country music is its often very patriotic USA stuff so a lot of it doesn't transition across well.  Its all not very diverse stuff - saying that though neither is Glastonbury.  99.9% of the crowd is white middle class.

I'd love to see Chris Stapleton play one year. He's absolutely incredible. 

Tennessee Whiskey is one of my all time favourite songs.

• Upvote 1