Disposable vapes ban

Euphoricape

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

A lot seem to just chuck them on the floor though.

ignoring the entitled attitude some have that it is some else's job to clean up after them, the litter pickers will pick them up and they still go to recycling. If you have been in the vicinity of a lithium fire, you would know how bad that gets quickly. Can't put it out, burns really hot and will ignite anything nearby.  It spits hot sh*t everywhere (technical term). A fire at recycling would probably need site evacuation.

18 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

ignoring the entitled attitude some have that it is some else's job to clean up after them, the litter pickers will pick them up and they still go to recycling. If you have been in the vicinity of a lithium fire, you would know how bad that gets quickly. Can't put it out, burns really hot and will ignite anything nearby.  It spits hot sh*t everywhere (technical term). A fire at recycling would probably need site evacuation.

I'm not arguing your point about fire risk at all.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

I have a love/hate thing with elfbars.  They are environmentally awful and can't understand why they haven't been banned as the waste is ridiculous - especially as there's few places where you can dispose of them properly and the fields of Glastonbury is the last place you'd want them to be.

But they do hit the spot in a way that I haven't been able to replicate with any vape set up so far which is very very annoying.

Either way, I'll be sticking to my aspire flexus.  Coils last a few weeks, doesn't leak (or at least so far) and the battery is usually good for a day.  it doesn't pump out too much vapour but I'm not a fan of making massive obnoxious clouds anymore.

It'd be tough to enforce but hopefully the advisory will be enough to deter people.

You can get reusable elfbars, which is my go to vape.  The body containing the battery is rechargeable and you simply pop in pre-filled heads containing the liquid and coil etc.  I don't consider these to be "disposable" vapes as such. 

2 minutes ago, Crouchinho76 said:

You can get reusable elfbars, which is my go to vape.  The body containing the battery is rechargeable and you simply pop in pre-filled heads containing the liquid and coil etc.  I don't consider these to be "disposable" vapes as such. 

Indeed! I do have one and they're alright - definitely reduces the amount of lithium that is sent to landfill but mine sadly took a trip in the washing machine so haven't tried it since.  Though I'm sure it has dried out now so it might be ok.  

Or it'll explode.  Best charge it outside I think.

Bought a refillable thing the other day because of this  (also just felt like i needed to for a while)

the disposable is far better, tastes nicer and is stronger but here we are. will try different flavours i guess but it being sh*t puts me off using it anyway

Its not like glasto will check or enforce this anyway

6 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

I have a love/hate thing with elfbars.  They are environmentally awful and can't understand why they haven't been banned as the waste is ridiculous - especially as there's few places where you can dispose of them properly and the fields of Glastonbury is the last place you'd want them to be.

But they do hit the spot in a way that I haven't been able to replicate with any vape set up so far which is very very annoying.

Either way, I'll be sticking to my aspire flexus.  Coils last a few weeks, doesn't leak (or at least so far) and the battery is usually good for a day.  it doesn't pump out too much vapour but I'm not a fan of making massive obnoxious clouds anymore.

It'd be tough to enforce but hopefully the advisory will be enough to deter people.

Nobody makes coils like Aspire, simply the best. I remember in the early days, before Aspire, when people were changing atomisers every 2 to 3 days!!!

The best way to enforce it would be to ban traders from selling them, like crisp packets and plastic bottles.

There’s a real chance of a nationwide ban soon anyway. 🤞

4 hours ago, gfa said:

Bought a refillable thing the other day because of this  (also just felt like i needed to for a while)

the disposable is far better, tastes nicer and is stronger but here we are. will try different flavours i guess but it being sh*t puts me off using it anyway

Its not like glasto will check or enforce this anyway

We were ‘forced’ to use Elfbars in the states, they don’t come near my vape… It’s about finding the right combination / setup  and liquids for you. The technology Elf use is no different, you ‘will’ be able to replicate it. 

6 hours ago, pilton digger said:

No likes left because Cost Of Likes Crisis so shall just repeat this for truth.

Kinda surprised more don't burst on festival sites as they get trampled into paths. The pod ones are much better than they used to be - Caliburn, SMOK, Aspire, Voopoo.... all good options. 

23 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

If you see one on the floor at glasto, what's the best the thing to do with it?

Have it DNA tested. Track down the person who chucked it on the floor. Shove it up their arse / down their throat depending on which brings you more satisfaction.

Not sure there even is a good answer to be honest. Handing it in to a stall/info point/wherever all likely results in it ending up the recycling centre anyway, and it's not like they can do anything other than send it to landfill.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Have it DNA tested. Track down the person who chucked it on the floor. Shove it up their arse / down their throat depending on which brings you more satisfaction.

Not sure there even is a good answer to be honest. Handing it in to a stall/info point/wherever all likely results in it ending up the recycling centre anyway, and it's not like they can do anything other than send it to landfill.

At home they're classed as e-waste and and you're supposed to take them to a recycling centre and leave them in an e-waste bin (haha yeah right - probably hardly ever happens).

Maybe they'll have an e-waste bin at the recycling centre on site in which case they should go in the recycling bins?

21 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Just noticed that disposable vapes are on the list of things not to bring to the festival.

Is this a total ban or just advisory? Struggling to see how they could enforce it given how popular they are currently.

GOOD. They should be banned from the f**king WORLD.

10 hours ago, pilton digger said:

the thinking may be that disposable vapes have been linked to a huge increase in fires at recycling facilities. Lithium battery fires can't be easily put out, they probably would appreciate their recycling shed not being burnt down.

Disposable means people put them in bins.

From working at a pretty large college I can categorically say they do not. We tried this year to keep any vaping to the designated smoking areas, but so many of our students now do it that they were sneaking into the toilets to do it. We've had vapes thrown down toilets, in bushes, or just left on the pavements. Our heads are now having to think of a completely new strategy. 

As for a separate note.  Unsure if this is a 'local town in Essex' thing, but the amount of under 13 year olds I've seen with them is 100x more than I ever saw with cigarettes. I'm glad Glastonbury have put up a thing about it, but I doubt anything will be done if someone is seen with one, already on site. 

41 minutes ago, incident said:

Lol no way. See my reply above. I didn't read this first! 🤣🤣🤣

The many people getting addicted to vapes who probably wouldn't have necessarily started smoking is some of the dumbest sh*t I have ever seen!.

Far enough if you are using them to try to stop smoking but they are just leading to more people being addicted to nicotine and are marketed as a cool thing to try.

I say this as someone who used to love smashing in loads of cigs on a night out mind!

43 minutes ago, rubenz said:

The many people getting addicted to vapes who probably wouldn't have necessarily started smoking is some of the dumbest sh*t I have ever seen!.

Far enough if you are using them to try to stop smoking but they are just leading to more people being addicted to nicotine and are marketed as a cool thing to try.

I say this as someone who used to love smashing in loads of cigs on a night out mind!

It's a fair comment, the marketing behind vapes (disposables in particular) is genius but equally terrifying and dangerous.

Hands up, I'm one of those who was sucked in. I wasn't a smoker - tried it as a kid like many do but didn't really see the appeal or like the taste, tolerated the taste of tobacco when mixed with something herbal but that was about it. Honestly couldn't tell you why I took up vaping 20 years down the line, but it was disposables that did it, and found that I do like nicotine (of course I do...its addictive after all!) and enjoy it much more in fruity vape flavours than I ever would with a cig. Now consider myself a pretty heavy vaper, especially when out partying, but don't think I regret it in the way I probably would had I taken up smoking or even stuck to the costly (financially and environmentally) disposables.

As somebody who works in a marketing focussed role, I wish some of my ideas had the same draw and success! 😂

13 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

It's a fair comment, the marketing behind vapes (disposables in particular) is genius but equally terrifying and dangerous.

Hands up, I'm one of those who was sucked in. I wasn't a smoker - tried it as a kid like many do but didn't really see the appeal or like the taste, tolerated the taste of tobacco when mixed with something herbal but that was about it. Honestly couldn't tell you why I took up vaping 20 years down the line, but it was disposables that did it, and found that I do like nicotine (of course I do...its addictive after all!) and enjoy it much more in fruity vape flavours than I ever would with a cig. Now consider myself a pretty heavy vaper, especially when out partying, but don't think I regret it in the way I probably would had I taken up smoking or even stuck to the costly (financially and environmentally) disposables.

As somebody who works in a marketing focussed role, I wish some of my ideas had the same draw and success! 😂

Well if you think about it cigarettes were the ultimate consumer product. The delivery mechanism and dosage meant that once addicted you would keep coming back every few hours for another one! The problem being that if used as intended the consumer has a high chance of dying which is a bit of an issue!

Vaping somewhat negates the dying part so they are pretty awesome consumer products for companies to get people hooked on.

Similar to caffeine really, people think they enjoy various different coffees etc and they probably do but the reality is most people have a caffeine addiction and if they stopped after a few days the headaches and withdrawal would kick in!

Pretty mad really that you have two huge industries based on the natural coincidence that the molecular stucture of certain substances fit certain receptors in the human brain.

I quick smoking through hypnotherapy but am still addicted to caffeine and twitter for the dopamine hits!

7 hours ago, Serenefishy said:

I vape a small pod system which could look like a disposable to the layman. I've actually been thinking about upgrading to one of those big tank things just so I don't get mistaken for a dispo-w*nker.

If it makes you feel any better you will still be a w*nker blowing massive coulds with your big tank 😉

I have a big tank and I'll be taking disposables to Glasto. Not ideal for the environment but I dont want to worry about recharging/losing my main vape. 

I think the onus should be put on the likes of Elfbar to develop a different system instead of disposables. I also think supermarkets should have recycling points for disposables in store, and if you use them, you get a discount on your next disposable. Bring your old elfbar to recycle, get a discout on your next one. 

Glasto should also put proper recycling points around site so that disposables can be recycled properly.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:04 AM, worthyraver said:

Any recommendations for vaping THC juice, asking for a friend 😉 

Don't get any THC juice, if theyre PG based they will either suck or be spice. Get carts from a reputable (lol) source. Most are dissilate mixed with terpenes but you can find excellent full spectrum rosin or shatter carts if you know where to look. Expect to pay £40-50ml for dissilate and £70-100 for the full spectrum. 

• Thanks 1

For nicotine i recently switched from disposables to a Vaporesso Xros 3 - It has pods that last a week or so, doesn't leak at all and the battery lasts all day. You can also get nic salts from elf bar and E-Lux disposable brands. 

They also do a mini version which seems to be the same spec but smaller... i kinda wish i got that one now.

17 hours ago, chazwwe said:

From working at a pretty large college I can categorically say they do not. We tried this year to keep any vaping to the designated smoking areas, but so many of our students now do it that they were sneaking into the toilets to do it. We've had vapes thrown down toilets, in bushes, or just left on the pavements. Our heads are now having to think of a completely new strategy. 

As for a separate note.  Unsure if this is a 'local town in Essex' thing, but the amount of under 13 year olds I've seen with them is 100x more than I ever saw with cigarettes. I'm glad Glastonbury have put up a thing about it, but I doubt anything will be done if someone is seen with one, already on site. 

Without a doubt. So many people i know never would smoke cigs back 5 years ago but are hooked on vapes

19 hours ago, Alvoram said:

We were ‘forced’ to use Elfbars in the states, they don’t come near my vape… It’s about finding the right combination / setup  and liquids for you. The technology Elf use is no different, you ‘will’ be able to replicate it. 

Fair enough

I think your value thing on the last page was a narrow way of looking at it though

I don't like the idea of spending £50 on getting a proper setup - not because of money, i know its cheaper with time - but i would then always have that at home and would use it more and find it harder to stop.