Bearded Theory 2024

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

I'm hardly a perfect demographic measure of all attendees, but me and my "crew" have decided to sit on our wallets and compare a more finished line up with Beautiful Days or some other smaller festivals like Deer Shed. Out of the announced headliners there is only really Dino Jr that I would pay to see if they were playing locally. A few decent acts in Woodland (I LOVE that stage) might well tip me over but at the moment...

Not sure I blame you. We got early bird tickets for the entire family. My son loves the line up but it's not a good one for me. Too many shouty bands (Amyl, Sleaford, Bob Vylan (but I'll be at this one), Wargasm, HotWax, The Meffs) and the headliners are the poorest they've been since I started going. Still hopeful that the full line up will have a more balanced feel. At least you have one headliner you like

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

Not sure I blame you. We got early bird tickets for the entire family. My son loves the line up but it's not a good one for me. Too many shouty bands (Amyl, Sleaford, Bob Vylan (but I'll be at this one), Wargasm, HotWax, The Meffs) and the headliners are the poorest they've been since I started going. Still hopeful that the full line up will have a more balanced feel. At least you have one headliner you like

Completely agree. Took the plunge early to save a few quid on 2 adults and 3 kids and have zero interest in any of the headliners. 

Desperate lack of reggae / ska / not shouty bands. Bit gutted at the moment. 

(Also an attender of many a boomtown in my time - possibly linked to our mutual disappointment)

There's a long way to go, and the last time I went in 2019, it was a great festival aside from the big hitter acts (I'm now telling myself) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, si_t said:

Completely agree. Took the plunge early to save a few quid on 2 adults and 3 kids and have zero interest in any of the headliners. 

Desperate lack of reggae / ska / not shouty bands. Bit gutted at the moment. 

(Also an attender of many a boomtown in my time - possibly linked to our mutual disappointment)

There's a long way to go, and the last time I went in 2019, it was a great festival aside from the big hitter acts (I'm now telling myself) 

The lack of ska is noticeable, and the only thing I'm clinging onto is that last year wasn't my taste in music but it was an exceptional festival.

So far I have spunge, Beans, Bar Stool Preachers, Gentleman's Dub Club and a couple of others.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Popsider75 said:

I wonder when they will release more of the line up.  Its always been great value for the years I have been going?

This year part 2 came in March after a 29th Nov first part, so expect Feb mid month unless ticket sales need something sooner

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't look like the ' Jane's Addiction' UK dates are selling that well...both the London Roundhouse and Manchester Apollo dates the week after Bearded still have tickets available (weeks after they went on sale) only the Glasgow Barrowlands has sold out.

Are Amyl big enough to headline Bearded? I'd say not (no doubt somebody will correct me!)

Although personally I wanted different headliners from the usual ones we usually see at UK festivals, I have a couple of mates who I finally convinced to book tickets for their families (before the announcement) who seem slightly underwhelmed to say the least. 

As much as I love Bearded (and since we first went we have always prebooked as soon as tickets went on sale) this is the first year I am kinda regretting not waiting for the line up announcement. 

Think we desperately need an 'arms in the air' headliner and a couple of strong subbies in the next announcement. 

8 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Doesn't look like the ' Jane's Addiction' UK dates are selling that well...both the London Roundhouse and Manchester Apollo dates the week after Bearded still have tickets available (weeks after they went on sale) only the Glasgow Barrowlands has sold out.

Are Amyl big enough to headline Bearded? I'd say not (no doubt somebody will correct me!)

Although personally I wanted different headliners from the usual ones we usually see at UK festivals, I have a couple of mates who I finally convinced to book tickets for their families (before the announcement) who seem slightly underwhelmed to say the least. 

As much as I love Bearded (and since we first went we have always prebooked as soon as tickets went on sale) this is the first year I am kinda regretting not waiting for the line up announcement. 

Think we desperately need an 'arms in the air' headliner and a couple of strong subbies in the next announcement. 

I saw the prices for JA at Roundhouse on a comment on the FB BT Chat group- £134 - so am not surprised tickets are not selling............. and I know nobody who had even heard of them!

Amyl are big enough IMHO and as they are booked as a headliner of Pallet or Meadow then their time has come.......... they will be the highlight of the weekend I reckon with many converts.

I sadly have to agree on the lineup so far - tis a bit underheleming - but then I suppose we got used to some superb lineups in the past and times and costs have changed.

We have the 6 main stage headliners, cos they told us we have, I hope the next release of acts adds some undercard heavies but there will always be something to see which is why we love BT so much.

From last years and this so far I see  a subtle change of direction and genre - heading more to EOTR and Green Man artits which is OK but will lose them a lot of the old punters.

It will still be a brillian tfestival of that I have no doubt - but my BT playlist so far (I add everything and delete if not inspired/interested) is a bit on the short side!!

To counter the argument that the lineup may lose them some regulars, in our group we have people who haven't bothered for a few years that are going back this year after seeing the lineup plus at least one other who has never been before who have decided to give it a go. 

I think they've done really well so far, given some f the shocking lineups that seem to be coming out so far for 2024. Enough to keep most of the old guard happy plus enough new acts to keep it interesting. For me, last year was lacking a "Wow!" headliner in comparison to previous years, but in Jane's there is one this time round. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 12:51 AM, Flaminglippy said:

Interested in your definition of an 'arms in the air headliner'? Don't think there's been any the years i've been (the last 3 festivals), assuming i've understood your description correctly.

Edited by Johnnyseven

58 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Interested in your definition of an 'arms in the air headliner'? Don't think there's been any the years i've been (the last 3 festivals), assuming i've understood 

Flaming Lips, Suede & Primals recently. I appreciate its very subjective though...one persons 'arms in the air' band is anothers 'fingers down the throat'. 

Edited by Flaminglippy

50 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Flaming Lips, Suede & Primals recently. I appreciate its very subjective though...one persons 'arms in the air' band is anothers 'fingers down the throat'. 

Fair enough. I'd probably put Orbital in that category tbh, they have a number of euphoric numbers that i'm sure they'll have in the set - Belfast, Halcyon etc.

• Upvote 2

On 1/5/2024 at 2:52 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Fair enough. I'd probably put Orbital in that category tbh, they have a number of euphoric numbers that i'm sure they'll have in the set - Belfast, Halcyon etc.

Agreed 👐

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Flaminglippy said:

Probably not accurate as I know these things often just say the date a festival starts rather than the date they are playing but this suggests Future Islands are on the Thursday...

Screenshot_20240118_173613_Deezer.jpg

And just on this point, just listened to an interview with Samuel T Herring on Scroobius Pips 'Distraction Pieces' and apparently he has really bad arthritis following some long term ligament damage in one of his legs so they will be massively dropping the number of gigs they do per annum to about 60. That being the case would probably make sense if they have a night off between gigs to recover.

Or I might just be reading too much into it because I'm bored. 

2 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Probably not accurate as I know these things often just say the date a festival starts rather than the date they are playing but this suggests Future Islands are on the Thursday...

Screenshot_20240118_173613_Deezer.jpg

Sounds right. The Saturday is their Live at Leeds slot - probably 2nd stage headline there by the billing order.