Bearded Theory 2024

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Really fancy volunteering at this next year 👍 the lineup always sounds interesting, its got a lot of devoted followers on here and elsewhere online, and its quite small so easier to get around and work at by the looks of things. A pal of mine has been the last couple of years, and loves it - so i'm going to dip me toes in, as long as i can get an oxfam slot

Do it! I might* buy you a pint when you're off shift.

*might.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Really fancy volunteering at this next year 👍 the lineup always sounds interesting, its got a lot of devoted followers on here and elsewhere online, and its quite small so easier to get around and work at by the looks of things. A pal of mine has been the last couple of years, and loves it - so i'm going to dip me toes in, as long as i can get an oxfam slot

10 hours ago, bexj said:

I volunteered with Oxfam for the first time last year.  Slots are hard to get unless you're on the priority list, I got lucky and picked one up 6 weeks before.  The Oxfield was about 15 mins walk away from the festival but it was quiet there!  You could use crew catering and facilities and could get right to the back of the main stage!  My shifts were 2 x morning shifts, one on the accessible vehicle gate, on on the main pedestrian gate, and the 3rd was an evening shift on the Oxfield.  It can get really really cold at night!!  Be warned!  But overall had a brilliant experience! 

Yeah, you've got to be really quick off the mark, even with priority. Definitely go for this first, then any others. Saying that I've always met quite a few who've got in much later on, like bexj, so maybe a fair few drop out? A lot of the same people go year on year (you end up with really experienced supervisors just stewarding or maybe supervising one or two shifts and stewarding the rest. 

I've done it three times now, last was in 2022. Thinking about going for it again next year. 2022 was good but not great for me.  Facilities were very good for us, the field was fine (I assume the same as last year, sounds right), showers shared with the bar staff next door were good and never seemed busy. And yes, being able to get into the production area is one of the perks about (some) smaller festivals. Just being able to nip backstage to use clean flushing toilets instead of queueing in hte arena for a turdis is great.

On the negative side, shifts weren't great for me (luck of the draw, I know). Not just times but locations. I had part of a shift in the overflow campervan field, and part on the queue for the Woodland stage during the headliner when the queues were massive. I totally got peoples annoyance (the facilities in the camper field were very poor and the toilets were horrible and the queues for the Woodland were crazy. Although why people kept joining said queues, I just don't know) but having a go at a volunteer steward for these things is not on. The famously lovely and friendly BT crowds weren't much in evidence either time. Although both these issues have been sorted by all accounts. There'll be others to deal with obviously, it's a festival. 

Overall it's still generally a great one to work. Prior to 2022 I'd never had any problems. It almost seemed like we didn't need to be there, they're generally able to look after themselves/each other. And none of it actually spoiled anything for me, it's still a great fun little festival.

• Upvote 1

Chucking Johnny Marr on my predictions/wish list. Always brilliant and a really good mix of solo/Smiths stuff. He was absolutely fantastic at Beautiful Days this year, despite the unrelenting rain.

Actually, everytime I've seen him at a festival its been lashing it down so scrub that...he is clearly a bad omen (bringing good vibes). 

Edited by Flaminglippy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

New Libertines album in March. I reckon there's a chance of them headlining and I'd be really happy with that personally.

Really? Not for me but we do now have the second stage should a headliner be outside your personal taste profile. Looking forward to the first glimpse of next summer.

2 hours ago, elgatonegrofabricwardrobe said:

New Libertines album in March. I reckon there's a chance of them headlining and I'd be really happy with that personally.

Always liked the Libs but never managed to catch them live until Godiva a few years ago...we left after about 6 songs, thought they were crap! Maybe it was an off night...

3 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

Really? Not for me but we do now have the second stage should a headliner be outside your personal taste profile. Looking forward to the first glimpse of next summer.

Yeah I'd be happy if they did play but wouldn't be bothered if they don't as I've seen them multiple times and yeah you're bang on about the second stage. I was only basing it on the fact that you'd think they'll be active around May if a new album is out in March and also the notable increase in what you might call indie bands on last year's lineup.

• Upvote 1

I am off away on business tomorrow for a month - with Bearded and 2000Trees both announcing this month how am I supposed to concentrate on the work I should be doing?

If BT announced Siouxsie I would be far far far too excited to manage any work for a week!!