Strength of line up

bigbilly

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I don't listen to Olivia Rodrigo, Yungblud, Beabadoobee, Clairo or Glass Animals but they're massive artists that were booked far down last year.

Didn't these two get very small crowds?

Lewis Capaldi is an example of an act not many here give a fiddlers about but is a) a big old name who will b) attract a big crowd in an early slot. The likes of Raye, Flo, Cat Burns etc will also do pretty well.

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I don't listen to Olivia Rodrigo, Yungblud, Beabadoobee, Clairo or Glass Animals but they're massive artists that were booked far down last year.

A lot of these would have been booked for 2020 and rolled over in similar slots

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lewis Capaldi is an example of an act not many here give a fiddlers about but is a) a big old name who will b) attract a big crowd in an early slot. The likes of Raye, Flo, Cat Burns etc will also do pretty well.

Yeah, I agree on the Capaldi thing. He may be the antithesis of everything this forum despises when it comes to Glastonbury bookings, but he’s a huge act playing third down - he’s this years massive pop star, it just happens that he’s a bit crap. 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Imma bet this applies to life in general as well. It's due to getting old.

Clearly don't keep up with current events, everything that you see on the news or read in the papers is both weird and shocking in the worst possible way!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I was at Beabadoobee and it wasn't exactly a small crowd, but absolutely the right stage and time for her. There is often a real disconnect between Spotify numbers and how popular an act is live. She gets 15M monthly (I think it was closer to 10 last summer when she played) compared to headliners The Cure who get 16M - yet neither were playing slots that were ill-chosen for them. 

I know this comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't, for example, know much about the Silver Hayes line up.

But for me this years lineup has left me very underwhelmed.

Looking at other festival lineups across the world, Glastonbury doesn’t stand up.

I was also really disappointed with the headliner announcement - From all the people touring/with new album releases this year I thought this would be a stellar line up and for me, it isn’t!

Of course, it’s still Glastonbury and it just means I go and spend more time in smaller tents listening to great music I’d never heard of! 

1 minute ago, ameski18 said:

Looking at other festival lineups across the world, Glastonbury doesn’t stand up

I sometimes wonder if there's too much ME influence on the Pyramid line up.

Yea it's his festival and all that, but there are far too many dull legacy acts and boring "middle of the road" acts booked.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Partly I think maybe I'm getting old and I just don't get some of these bookings, some are clearly very huge names.

But then another part of me thinks no, FBS headlining park is definitely a bit of a cop out.

Agree with this, I get that he wants to play every stage, but headlining? I can't believe there weren't better options.

27 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I was at Beabadoobee and it wasn't exactly a small crowd, but absolutely the right stage and time for her. There is often a real disconnect between Spotify numbers and how popular an act is live. She gets 15M monthly (I think it was closer to 10 last summer when she played) compared to headliners The Cure who get 16M - yet neither were playing slots that were ill-chosen for them. 

Yep. In particular, Bea's monthly listeners are massively inflated by a hip-hop song 'death bed' which samples one of her songs. It was a massive hit a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, ameski18 said:

Fully agreed! I love FBS but I've seen him lots and he'd just not a headline material anymore. 💁🏻‍♀️

It also couldn't be less exciting as a headliner, if you've been to glasto before you've had plenty of chances to see him, if you haven't been before he'd be playing in some other venue anyway so you'd still get the chance to see him. 

I'm ambivalent about the lineup in general this year anyway, but something about this booking is so frustrating!

I will caveat this by saying if he does something really special and out of the ordinary, like playing with a live band or something then I will be fully prepared to eat my words.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

He was due to headline the Other Stage in 2020....

Aside from the valid reasons to doubt that was ever really the case..

If he actually had done so then he'd have got an embarrassing crowd especially against Macca. Again this is someone who in recent years has subbed the JP and headlined The Glade and Sonic without crowd sizes becoming problematic.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Clearly the fest are helping on him out on his "play every stage" whim. Its a relatively harmless booking - and will be busier than most Park headliners.

Free headliner for them?  Assume they're paying next to nothing if they are indulging him with this.  On one hand there's (normally) so many other options at headliner time - so if you're not fussed go elsewhere - on the other, Park deserves better than a 'harmless' headliner... 

Edited by p.pete

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Free headliner for them?  Assume they're paying next to nothing if they are indulging him with this.  On one hand there's (normally) so many other options at headliner time - so if you're not fussed go elsewhere - on the other, Park deserves better than a 'harmless' headliner... 

He always plays for free as far as I know.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He always plays for free as far as I know.

Wasn't sure 🙂  So less of a saving than if they were to have him headlining Other in 2020 (assume an Other headline gets more £ than Park) 

21 hours ago, JRhys29 said:

I often find that looking back at previous years, the lineup always seems to look better on paper. This is often just that current big artists were small back then - gives you a sense of "Wow - can't believe so-so was playing that stage!". I'm sure in a few years we'll look back at 2023 and think the same thing.

I feel the combo of Paul and Noel, plus Yungblud ABD Olivia on the Other stage definitely makes last year stand out. Hard to say until the final drop comes at the end of the month. There is possibly more than I have not seen or would pay more attention to this year than last year so far.

2 hours ago, Supermerv said:

Clearly don't keep up with current events, everything that you see on the news or read in the papers is both weird and shocking in the worst possible way!!!

That isn't old age, it's senility. 😉

Next stage is full cerebral meltdown. After that the final stage is reading the Daily Mail.