No Mik Artistik 2023

Padgey

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

I would love to know how much the likes of Mik Artistik, Beans on Toast and Lekkido, etc get for playing Glasto and how much is paid in kind with free tickets, etc.

Same for the sort of bands who play early in the day at Williams Green to fairly sparse crowds? Just wondered, especially now my favourite stage has gone, just how much it costs to maintain a stage like WG at Glasto, I never thought it would cost a lot, other than a few security/sound/light technicians, etc most of which I thought we be covered by free tickets? 

Mostly just free tickets for acts at any level below the main stages, and for smaller stages not even that.

I'd imagine the crew get paid - a free ticket is much less appealing if you're spending 12 hours a day working the lights in Williams Green.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Mostly just free tickets for acts at any level below the main stages, and for smaller stages not even that.

Not true ten years back first band on John  peel was getting £500.

For me the festival is all about the "smaller" acts, more than the headliners.  It's the variety and ingenuity on the theatre and circus, and other stages that are more memorable for me.  So glad people like Mik can continue to entertain everyone. 

I really enjoy the Croissant Neuf, so thanks to Sally for this - and all the entertainment that the Croissant Neuf provides.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Neil said:

Not true ten years back first band on John  peel was getting £500.

I'd consider John Peel a main stage. I sort of meant below the top ten stages. Also I have no bloody idea about how dance music works so no clue on which of those pay.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'd consider John Peel a main stage. I sort of meant below the top ten stages. Also I have no bloody idea about how dance music works so no clue on which of those pay.

people who say glasto only offers bands a few tickets have no idea how glasto works, and they do it a disservice by making bands not interested in appearing.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

people who say glasto only offers bands a few tickets have no idea how glasto works, and they do it a disservice by making bands not interested in appearing.

It's true. A majority of the stages don't even offer most acts free tickets.

There's 100+ stages there. About 10% of them have a significant budget. Another 10% have a decent budget. Then the rest are living on free tickets and goodwill.

Sure if you spend most your time at the main stages you're seeing bands being paid, but if you're hanging out in Avalon Cafe, Poetry and Words, Queens Head, Rabbit Hole, etc. you're not.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Then the rest are living on free tickets and goodwill.

true, but its not all of them, glasto does pay a fair rate to bands. but just like with the trader stalls, tickets have a value, and how many tickets you get might affect the fee.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

true, but its not all of them, glasto does pay a fair rate to bands. but just like with the trader stalls, tickets have a value, and how many tickets you get might affect the fee.

True, but the value of the tickets to the festival is one thing compared to the value of the tickets to the band. If a band isn't interested in attending the festival, the tickets have zero value, as they can't be resold - because the band still need them to get their crew and themselves in for their set. So they can't re-sell them. That's different to some of the hospitality tickets given to organisations that provide other services.

Honestly I'll never believe that £0 is a fair rate to pay any performer. I've said this before but if you have lets say 1000 smaller acts who currently don't get paid - give them £100 each that's £100,000, or 75p per ticket. I'd happily pay that, it's peanuts compared to what they spend elsewhere, and they get to say "no acts are unpaid at Glastonbury".

Yes, it won't make much difference in most cases, that £100 won't even cover expenses for a lot of performers, but it makes such a psychological difference in letting the performers know they are valued and their labour isn't taken for granted.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

True, but the value of the tickets to the festival is one thing compared to the value of the tickets to the band. If a band isn't interested in attending the festival, the tickets have zero value

the tickets have a face value value to the festival, who could otherwise sell them. tickets issued to bands are part of the ticket count for the licence.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

the tickets have a face value value to the festival, who could otherwise sell them. tickets issued to bands are part of the ticket count for the licence.

Yup. But that doesn't mean the person receiving them can actually recognise that value. 

(Worth noting Glasto's very open layout also contributes to this "problem" as every person performing needs a full ticket as there's no way to ensure they're only on site on the day they are performing. An arena festival can manage with just using up a third of the number of tickets Glasto needs to)

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yup. But that doesn't mean the person receiving them can actually recognise that value. 

true, they probably see it as a tax on their fee, but its usually of their own choosing.

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

(Worth noting Glasto's very open layout also contributes to this "problem" as every person performing needs a full ticket as there's no way to ensure they're only on site on the day they are performing. An arena festival can manage with just using up a third of the number of tickets Glasto needs to)

It would be quite possible to give people a day pass for when they’re playing. If you’re a small enough act to not be given a weekend pass then you’re unlikely to want to burn bridges with the biggest UK festival by running off with their wristband.

8 minutes ago, t0paz said:

It would be quite possible to give people a day pass for when they’re playing. If you’re a small enough act to not be given a weekend pass then you’re unlikely to want to burn bridges with the biggest UK festival by running off with their wristband.

You could check people in and out yeah I guess. But if someone does do a runner you've no way to find them.