boygenius

Justiceforcedave

The album is cracking! I know US tour dates rule them out for this year, but hopefully we’ll get a run of European festivals in 24.

Would make mighty fine Park headliners (or perhaps high Woodsies).

Guess it depends on how big the album is… seems to be a lot of hype around it so I wouldn’t be surprised if they snuck into a higher slot.

Agree on Julien shining brightest here - the songs where she takes lead are the standouts here for me.

Considering some of the slots they’ve been getting at other festivals and the size of their own shows before the album was even released I think it’s fair to say they’ve far outgrown the Park already. Think Woodsies headliner or mid Other is where they’d end up if they get booked for the festival next year, but realistically they’ll probably be back to doing their solo shit by then so maybe we’ll get them next album. 

Enjoying the album so far. Phoebe's lead songs definitely feel like they could have just been taken off of Punisher (no bad thing, of course). Its definitely hit the high expectations I had for it.

Not sure how this really translates in terms of popularity as I know their outdoor UK gigs have yet to sell out when I last checked. Could make a very good Other sub or headliner at one of the other stages.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its....fine. Couple of nice tunes on there. Not sure how much of it would work live.

I agree, it’s not gonna prompt repeat listens from me.  

I guess we will see how this works live when they play at Coachella in a couple of weeks time!  

Enjoying it. Will try and get tickets for the Gunnersbury Park gig but £50 seemed a lot for a one-album and an EP band unless they throw in some solo songs to fill out the set?

Still, it’s a festival and relatively close to me so maybe should just bite the bullet and go!

2 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Enjoying it. Will try and get tickets for the Gunnersbury Park gig but £50 seemed a lot for a one-album and an EP band unless they throw in some solo songs to fill out the set?

Still, it’s a festival and relatively close to me so maybe should just bite the bullet and go!

I think they do throw in some solo songs too or at least have done in the past

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

fwiw MUNA and Ethel Cain are both absolutely fantastic too making that £50 seem like a bargain

• Upvote 1

I'd booked for Gunnersbury before the album came out as it's on my birthday so felt like an ideal way to spend the day.

Really loving the album - does feel squarely made for fans of any/all 3 of the members already. Not sure how wide the appeal will be if you weren't already a fan of them.

I'd watch them all do their own separate gig on the same day at Gunnersbury Park, I dunno about together yet. My guess is that Glastonbury will get them in '24 if they're touring, although the buzz will have died off by then (seems to be a common thing for US indie rock kinda acts to show up at UK festivals the year after people are excited about them?) 

• 3 weeks later...