2023 Day Split Thread

Guy Incognito

43 minutes ago, shoebox said:

I think using this forum as a barometer of how popular Future Islands will be is also a bit iffy.

Agreed - I think people on here are massively underestimating Future Islands' popularity. They have almost 3 times more monthly listeners on Spotify than Angel Olsen and sold out Ally Pally last year (capacity over 10,000). Angel's most recent London show was at Brixton Academy, which holds around 5,000. There's no doubt which is the bigger artist.

FI are a bit marmite which is why they seem to invoke such strong reactions in people, but I personally think they'll put on a good show.

44 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Sorry to be a pedant, but Jarvis was actually up against Metronomy. I know this because I saw both Jarvis and Michael.

Oh bloody hell, so it was, sorry - and I was only reading the actual anger on that year's line-up thread about that Metronomy booking, which exceeded that of the Future Islands debate, the other day. But I'm sure I remember a "nobody's that interested in Kiwanuka" thread running through too.

29 minutes ago, oochie said:

Simon said that they put The Magnetic Fields up against Pixies last year mainly to spread the crowd.

Aside from that the Magnetic Fields set ended halfway through Pixies', that's not the same as putting someone on Garden because the Woods headliner isn't enough of a draw, even though as ljsawyer says they are - they're third billed at Noel Gallagher's big Manchester outdoor show a week earlier, and it's probable they'll have a new album out by then too (speaking of which, looks like we're getting Unknown Mortal Orchestra news later today)

21 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

that's not the same as putting someone on Garden because the Woods headliner isn't enough of a draw

Wasn't really looking at it from that perspective...more an 'angel is at the upper limit size wise to headline the garden, we'll need someone who can draw a fair crowd at the woods to even things out'

Obviously date availability will be the primary mover but obviously again they do also give consideration to balancing set times for diversity, popularity etc. 

Maybe Future Islands will prove popular enough anyway, tho popularity on Spotify doesn't necessarily equate popularity at EOTR. Quite possible Simon knows his crowd better than any one of us do though.

Id personally still expect the garden to be rammed for an Angel Vs FI clash but time will tell.

4 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Agreed - I think people on here are massively underestimating Future Islands' popularity. They have almost 3 times more monthly listeners on Spotify than Angel Olsen and sold out Ally Pally last year (capacity over 10,000). Angel's most recent London show was at Brixton Academy, which holds around 5,000. There's no doubt which is the bigger artist.

FI are a bit marmite which is why they seem to invoke such strong reactions in people, but I personally think they'll put on a good show.

Yeah, I don't care for them at all, but I suspect they'll draw a sizeable crowd

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

No idea if this is indicative of anything for their stage but Loud & Quiet's weekly mailout makes a point of namechecking their support for Biig Piig, Flohio, Infinity Knives & Brian Ennals and They Hate Change in its EOTR announcement piece.

Maybe can expect all of them to be Big Top Sunday when EOTR do their takeover. Very hip hop heavy. 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:27 AM, Enkidu said:

If Angel is a garden headliner then I'm praying she'll be against F*ture Islands. Dosser band

Bollocks. One of the hardest working bands out there.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, Nick07 said:

Can’t see that as FI are the band that mo one wants to see 

Absolute bollocks. They'll draw the biggest headliner crowd.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:39 PM, ljsawyer said:

This. All of this.

• Upvote 2

On 2/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, ljsawyer said:

I predict The Mary Wallopers will open up the Woods Stage on Friday in the same slot that Shovel Dance Collective played last year.

I didnt realise they played venues of the size of manchester ritz, for example. Agree they will definitely be on Woods stage. 

other shoo-ins for woods i would say are at least 2 out of 3 of Lee Fields, Kokoko! and Kokoroko. A la BCUC last year - mid afternoon party acts.

Greentea Peng could be woods sub or take a high slot in big top.

Olsen is the only nailed on garden headliner. Aftab likely garden but headliner? You would hope not.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

No idea if this is indicative of anything for their stage but Loud & Quiet's weekly mailout makes a point of namechecking their support for Biig Piig, Flohio, Infinity Knives & Brian Ennals and They Hate Change in its EOTR announcement piece.

Reckon you’ve nailed this. Seems likely.

Would love to see Squid added and take a garden headliner slot a la black midi last year. Lineup would immediately look a fair bit stronger with them on it. Would make sense for them not to be announced yet as their album promo hasnt started yet and they’ve not many announced dates.

if walkmen were added at this point it could only be to headline the garden, right? Dont think they’d be in big top or playing second fiddle to any of UMO, Gizz or Future Islands. On the balance of their london ticket prices im veering towards no walkmen due to cost.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, robith said:

Imo if the Walkmen are playing, they'd have been announced now. Personal opinion is we won't be seeing them here and think people should maybe start getting used to that!

Likely, but then it's odd that having been in Europe for at least two weeks already they'd book those exact dates for the UK leg (if they aren't at Green Man) Also it would fit with the idea of a potential draw they couldn't name last week who isn't headlining.

43 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Likely, but then it's odd that having been in Europe for at least two weeks already they'd book those exact dates for the UK leg (if they aren't at Green Man) Also it would fit with the idea of a potential draw they couldn't name last week who isn't headlining.

I guess - the "draw they couldn't name" is conjecture right? AFAIK there isn't any proof of that being the case and I worry people are building themselves up for disappointment

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robith said:

I guess - the "draw they couldn't name" is conjecture right? AFAIK there isn't any proof of that being the case and I worry people are building themselves up for disappointment

This is absolutely true, but I think a lot of the reaction does suggest there's not enough strength at the top end. Whether they see it that way is different, obviously, but it does feel like there's something missing they couldn't get over the line in time given how much the likes of Arooj Aftab and Greentea Peng have been elevated up the graphic compared to the slots they were playing last year having done next to nothing since.

Finding lots to like on the bill. BIG|Brave, Divide and Dissolve, The Courettes to name a few. Familiar with the stuff high up but any more recommendations in the psych/garage/doom category would be awesome! 

The likes of BJM (who have already been mentioned as playing Manchester Psych fest the same weekend), Osees, Black Angels and Goat are all touring at the moment or have tours that end before June.  A well established name like one of these would really sell this to me and hoping we get at least one of them when their tours end in the next announcement. Still tempted to part with the cash as it stands though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suttttttt said:

Finding lots to like on the bill. BIG|Brave, Divide and Dissolve, The Courettes to name a few. Familiar with the stuff high up but any more recommendations in the psych/garage/doom category would be awesome! 

The likes of BJM (who have already been mentioned as playing Manchester Psych fest the same weekend), Osees, Black Angels and Goat are all touring at the moment or have tours that end before June.  A well established name like one of these would really sell this to me and hoping we get at least one of them when their tours end in the next announcement. Still tempted to part with the cash as it stands though 

Big Brave fantastic live. Caught them a few times . Going to see them in May. 

Divide And Dissolve incredible live 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allpointsnorth said:

Her Instagram post from 31/1/23 said "Heading back to Dorset for @endoftheroadthis summer. I'll see you in the gardens. ❤️"

We'll all (or those who are going) see her there, in Larmer Tree Gardens. The plural that the venue also uses means nothing about which stage she's playing. Might be she doesn't yet know herself, if she even remembers the name of a stage she played ten years ago.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

7 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

We'll all (or those who are going) see her there, in Larmer Tree Gardens. The plural that the venue also uses means nothing about which stage she's playing. Might be she doesn't yet know herself, if she even remembers the name of a stage she played ten years ago.

Fair point. Although, if she had said,  "I will see you in the woods", I would think, Woods stage, not that she is talking about the festival as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...