Glastonbury Emerging Talent Competition 2023

Dukeicon

We’re very pleased to announce details of our 2023 EMERGING TALENT COMPETITION, which is once again supported by PRS for Music and PRS Foundation.

The competition gives new UK and Ireland-based acts of any musical genre the chance to compete for a slot on one of the main stages at this year’s Festival.

The winners of the free-to-enter competition will also be awarded a £5,000 Talent Development prize from PRS Foundation to help take their songwriting and performing to the next level. Two runners-up will also each be awarded a £2,500 PRS Foundation Talent Development prize.

Acts from any musical genre can enter the 2023 competition FOR ONE WEEK ONLY using the form which will be available on this page from 9am Monday 30th January until 5pm Monday 6th February 2023.

To enter, acts needed to supply a YouTube link to one original song, plus a link to a video of themselves performing live (even if it’s only recorded in a bedroom).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dukeicon said:
We’re very pleased to announce details of our 2023 EMERGING TALENT COMPETITION, which is once again supported by PRS for Music and PRS Foundation.

The competition gives new UK and Ireland-based acts of any musical genre the chance to compete for a slot on one of the main stages at this year’s Festival.

The winners of the free-to-enter competition will also be awarded a £5,000 Talent Development prize from PRS Foundation to help take their songwriting and performing to the next level. Two runners-up will also each be awarded a £2,500 PRS Foundation Talent Development prize.

Acts from any musical genre can enter the 2023 competition FOR ONE WEEK ONLY using the form which will be available on this page from 9am Monday 30th January until 5pm Monday 6th February 2023.

To enter, acts needed to supply a YouTube link to one original song, plus a link to a video of themselves performing live (even if it’s only recorded in a bedroom).

Thanks for posting that. My wife has started song writing and singing, so I'll forward that to her to see if she is interested in applying.

On 1/24/2023 at 1:26 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Has any previous Glastonbury Emerging Talent winner got anywhere in their music career?

(It's not a cynical question, just interested to know!)

On 1/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, Gnomicide said:

Declan McKenna and She Drew The Gun.

The Subways were the first winners, didn't do too badly after that for a while.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

The Subways were the first winners, didn't do too badly after that for a while.

They were joint winners along with vlackbud. I like how rock nroll queen was used in that advert with the drummers. Hope they got well paid for that. 

• 1 month later...

I've listened through the playlist, and my favourite is rapper FFSYTHO:

There's plenty of decent songs in there, from a wide variety of styles, and it could just come down to who performs best on the day. My favourite video on the list is this one by Malenka, which really tells a story in its own right:

51 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Anyone else look at that longlist and notice the number of acts beginning with ‘A’ (and other early alphabet letters)? Almost like the longlist judges couldn’t be arsed listening after about half an hour! Might enter next year as Aardvarks 

Honestly, this is true of most music. Two-thirds of my music collection is from artists starting A-M (Not including 'The'), and if you look at festival lineups alphabetically (Look at the list of acts in last year's Clashfinder options for example) there is almost always a bias towards earlier letters. Part of that is just the English language (Fewer words/names beginning with U/V/X/Y/Z), part of it might be that being nearer the top of an alphabetical list on something like Spotify or a longlist might confer some advantage.

31 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Honestly, this is true of most music. Two-thirds of my music collection is from artists starting A-M (Not including 'The'), and if you look at festival lineups alphabetically (Look at the list of acts in last year's Clashfinder options for example) there is almost always a bias towards earlier letters. Part of that is just the English language (Fewer words/names beginning with U/V/X/Y/Z), part of it might be that being nearer the top of an alphabetical list on something like Spotify or a longlist might confer some advantage.

nah, i reckon bands just choose a name they like.

6 hours ago, FrankieX said:

Honestly, this is true of most music. Two-thirds of my music collection is from artists starting A-M 

Sort of get this, but of the first 18 acts - selected by six different judges - only three don’t begin with the first five letters of the alphabet. And only one doesn’t begin with the first seven letters. Statistically unlikely. I suspect they either couldn’t be arsed or the early stuff impressed and they found no reason to change their mind.