Thread Again

CaledonianGonzo

Really hoping Fred’s Friday doesn’t change. I’ve seen Elton before and worry that the mahoosive crowd will annoy me so could be tempted by Fred anyway on the Sunday if I could convince a couple of my gang. Elton and Fred were the only 2 must see’s so bit of a bummer if the clashtastrophe happens

3 minutes ago, rwoo said:

Really hoping Fred’s Friday doesn’t change. I’ve seen Elton before and worry that the mahoosive crowd will annoy me so could be tempted by Fred anyway on the Sunday if I could convince a couple of my gang. Elton and Fred were the only 2 must see’s so bit of a bummer if the clashtastrophe happens

With QOTSA newly announced dates I very much think you’re safe and that QOTSA will be headlining the Sunday Other and Fred subbing the Friday. 

2 hours ago, goonerben said:

Not so sure on that any more. 

WoD are definitely on Sunday, as they have gigs elsewhere on Fri and Sat.  Initial thought was Woodsies headline.

But a month ago (after initial lineup poster), Christine & The Queens was thought to be Sunday Woodsies headliner - which would have logically left WoD as Other sub, Pyramid afternoon, or maybe Park headline.  But now C&TQ self-confirmed for Saturday - so maybe WoD are back on for Woodsies?

That's an even worse situation if you wanted WoD though. Personally for me, they're a sunny day band. Third on Pyramid is perfect.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, goonerben said:

Not so sure on that any more. 

WoD are definitely on Sunday, as they have gigs elsewhere on Fri and Sat.  Initial thought was Woodsies headline.

But a month ago (after initial lineup poster), Christine & The Queens was thought to be Sunday Woodsies headliner - which would have logically left WoD as Other sub, Pyramid afternoon, or maybe Park headline.  But now C&TQ self-confirmed for Saturday - so maybe WoD are back on for Woodsies?

I missed the C&TQ self confirmation That’s great news, loving their new stuff and they were great in 2019. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Fred has gone from playing middle of the day at Coachella to closing out the mainstage in a space of one year.

imo. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when he’s going to headline the pyramid.

Nope. American festival’s embrace of EDM/electronic music is far bigger than over here, especially boosting them up to headliners (just look at how many festivals Odesza are headlining over there ffs). I’m not gonna completely rule it out of happening because who knows what the future holds, but it’s definitely not a sure thing - Glastonbury has been doing just fine housing big electronic acts on Other all this time and I don’t see that changing for Fred, who’s live show isn't exactly breaking the mould or anything, he just makes very generic all encompassing music that’s got the kids in a whirlwind at the moment. Let’s wait and see eh, but Emily considering him a Pyramid headliner seems like a non-starter to me.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Same must also be true of Calvin Harris then?

Pretty sure Matt was tooting that horn back in ‘14 when Calvin was dominating the charts, but of course it didn’t happen, and it most likely won’t happen with Fred either (and Calvin actually had hits).

I think they’re different situations. Calvin played early JP one year but other than that didn’t have much of a relationship with the festival. They’re giving Fred a big slot this year in the same way they have done for Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo etc. recently. I think he’s on that pathway rather than the headline Other every few years one.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I think they’re different situations. Calvin played early JP one year but other than that didn’t have much of a relationship with the festival. They’re giving Fred a big slot this year in the same way they have done for Stormzy, Billie Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo etc. recently. I think he’s on that pathway rather than the headline Other every few years one.

He was seemingly asked to headline Other this year but turned it down in favour of playing a notch down, but I just really don’t see a path to the top of the Pyramid for him. It’s a hard judgement to make because there’s not been an electronic act with as much hype around them in a long time, but his whole brand of low key house music hardly screams ‘huge Pyramid headliner’ to me, and as much as it seems as he’s unstoppable right now, this wave of hype can’t last forever - he’s gonna peter out at some point, and I think he’ll just fall in line with all the other once huge, now not so much electronic acts that have come and gone through the years, probably headline Creamfields every other year etc. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

He was seemingly asked to headline Other this year but turned it down in favour of playing a notch down, but I just really don’t see a path to the top of the Pyramid for him. It’s a hard judgement to make because there’s not been an electronic act with as much hype around them in a long time, but his whole brand of low key house music hardly screams ‘huge Pyramid headliner’ to me, and as much as it seems as he’s unstoppable right now, this wave of hype can’t last forever - he’s gonna peter out at some point, and I think he’ll just fall in line with all the other once huge, now not so much electronic acts that have come and gone through the years, probably headline Creamfields every other year etc. 

Yeah that’s fair. I do think he’s managed to crossover into different crowds already, even more so than an act like Disclosure. As with most potential headliners a lot rides on his next album but I do think he’ll headline in 2025 or 2026.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Nope. American festival’s embrace of EDM/electronic music is far bigger than over here, especially boosting them up to headliners (just look at how many festivals Odesza are headlining over there ffs). I’m not gonna completely rule it out of happening because who knows what the future holds, but it’s definitely not a sure thing - Glastonbury has been doing just fine housing big electronic acts on Other all this time and I don’t see that changing for Fred, who’s live show isn't exactly breaking the mould or anything, he just makes very generic all encompassing music that’s got the kids in a whirlwind at the moment. Let’s wait and see eh, but Emily considering him a Pyramid headliner seems like a non-starter to me.

The crossover point is very good to be fair.

they are very separate here, bar disclosure doing reading twice and 90s big beat getting big slots at mid size fests

hopefully that will change, Fred being booked for Electric Picnic while not the UK is already a sign that he is inline for big slots at R&L / Glasto in the future

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

The crossover point is very good to be fair.

they are very separate here, bar disclosure doing reading twice and 90s big beat getting big slots at mid size fests

hopefully that will change, Fred being booked for Electric Picnic while not the UK is already a sign that he is inline for big slots at R&L / Glasto in the future

Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see him as one of the headliners at R/L next year as that’s exactly his audience. Having him headline Glastonbury is a tougher sell, but tbh what with Glastonbury’s headliner pool getting progressively smaller, maybe somebody like him will be prime for it in a couple of years, but I personally just don’t see the insane hype lasting long enough for it to happen - think we’ll all be laughing about the idea in a couple of years time. 

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Wouldn’t at all surprise me to see him as one of the headliners at R/L next year as that’s exactly his audience. Having him headline Glastonbury is a tougher sell, but tbh what with Glastonbury’s headliner pool getting progressively smaller, maybe somebody like him will be prime for it in a couple of years, but I personally just don’t see the insane hype lasting long enough for it to happen - think we’ll all be laughing about the idea in a couple of years time. 

He should have been doing Boardmasters this year over Lorde, that would have really put him inline for the big slots.

R&L is a bit younger than fred but he'd obviously be fine. I think thats a key reason they don't get dance acts too often, they are more something people get into at uni than in year 12/13.

Still shocked calvin has never done it

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah that’s fair. I do think he’s managed to crossover into different crowds already, even more so than an act like Disclosure. As with most potential headliners a lot rides on his next album but I do think he’ll headline in 2025 or 2026.

I've said before that he could be a potential headliner if his next album blows up.  All it takes is the right guests / banger to propel him into the mainstream

Same with Calvin Harris at his absolute peak, the man was everywhere - while a lot on here (myself included at the time) would not have viewed him as a worthy headliner, he still would have been on the list of potential headliners.

On the other hand, he could just as easily pull a disclosure and his next release be quite forgettable, leaving him with The Other or West Holts as his ceiling. 

That said, he'll probably be willing to pay for peanuts since he's (well his family) aren't short of cash.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

I've said before that he could be a potential headliner if his next album blows up.  All it takes is the right guests / banger to propel him into the mainstream

Same with Calvin Harris at his absolute peak, the man was everywhere - while a lot on here (myself included at the time) would not have viewed him as a worthy headliner, he still would have been on the list of potential headliners.

On the other hand, he could just as easily pull a disclosure and his next release be quite forgettable, leaving him with The Other or West Holts as his ceiling. 

That said, he'll probably be willing to pay for peanuts since he's (well his family) aren't short of cash.

Thing with Calvin is he has always been on the creamfields , tomorrowland etc circuit rather than the mass appeal ones (until recently anyway with coachella, primavera etc).

Fred is snubbing all the dance only festivals and i think thats a key thing thats keeping him firmly in contention at the moment. Think staying away from that circuit helps when it comes to getting big slots - it also helps with building crossover appeal as non dance fans will be seeing him more

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thing with Calvin is he has always been on the creamfields , tomorrowland etc circuit rather than the mass appeal ones (until recently anyway with coachella, primavera etc).

That's a good point, I hadn't really considered that. 

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Think staying away from that circuit helps when it comes to getting big slots - it also helps with building crossover appeal as non dance fans will be seeing him more

Definitely helps to build up hype/demand and reduces the risk of over saturation. 

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Just seen he's actually headlining Electric Picnic in ireland now - he was in the coheadline smaller slot beforehand i'm pretty sure.

subbing other is a silly booking

It’s a silly booking with seemingly nothing massive up against him. Like, a lot of people obviously won’t be interested in electronic music and so Royal Blood will do fine, but they really should’ve stuck somebody huge up against him to even things out a bit (although, for the sakes of people wanting to see him, thank god they didn’t). Other field (and then the journey from Other > Pyramid immediately after) is gonna be heaving. 

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s a silly booking with seemingly nothing massive up against him. Like, a lot of people obviously won’t be interested in electronic music and so Royal Blood will do fine, but they really should’ve stuck somebody huge up against him to even things out a bit (although, for the sakes of people wanting to see him, thank god they didn’t). Other field (and then the journey from Other > Pyramid immediately after) is gonna be heaving. 

Its a perfect storm

Poor choice + Huge hype + Not a lot of people have seen him yet