Self Confirms 2023

Gnomicide

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If indeed this is true then it’s a massive case of the festival disappearing up its own arse.

Fucking rubbish.

Extra £50 a ticket / £6million overall and the ship looks like it’s sinking.

Surely booking the same acts again and again is more likely to sink the ship. 

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

And the reason might be nothing to do with the festival 

Absolutely.

The wording in his post does seem a little absolute and you could read into it in a lot of ways.

I'll say it again though. This is by far the weirdest run-in to the festival that I can remember. Of course it'll all be forgotten when the gates open but there is a strange feel to the build-up this time round.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely.

The wording in his post does seem a little absolute and you could read into it in a lot of ways.

I'll say it again though. This is by far the weirdest run-in to the festival that I can remember. Of course it'll all be forgotten when the gates open but there is a strange feel to the build-up this time round.

Weird how? All feels fairly usual to me, so far.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Weird how? All feels fairly usual to me, so far.

Some miscommunication (particularly the main poster announcement - Guradian, QOTSA), the Lana situation, uncertainty over some areas (Williams Green gone, Cineramegeddon gone, Woodsies - did they feel pressured to change the name?), obvious budget constraints (this is not an assumption, I've been told by one area booker), slightly different or delayed build sequence, likelihood of missing out on some significant touring artists, controversial choices in Pyramid headliner (GNR) and Other (Wizkid), perceived weaker headliners on West Holts, the new ticket booking system, cuts to staffing in some areas (again, I know this for definite), Arcadia Spider in Qatar, festival staple artists not returning. That's just the stuff that springs to mind, I'm sure there's more. It just feels a little different this year. Nothing to panic about, it's all good. As I say, come 8am Wednesday 21 June, no one will care that much

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Some miscommunication (particularly the main poster announcement - Guradian, QOTSA), the Lana situation, uncertainty over some areas (Williams Green gone, Cineramegeddon gone, Woodsies - did they feel pressured to change the name?), obvious budget constraints (this is not an assumption, I've been told by one area booker), slightly different or delayed build sequence, likelihood of missing out on some significant touring artists, controversial choices in Pyramid headliner (GNR) and Other (Wizkid), perceived weaker headliners on West Holts, the new ticket booking system, cuts to staffing in some areas (again, I know this for definite), Arcadia Spider in Qatar, festival staple artists not returning. That's just the stuff that springs to mind, I'm sure there's more. It just feels a little different this year. Nothing to panic about, it's all good. As I say, come 8am Wednesday 21 June, no one will care that much

Good summary.

It definitely doesn’t have the same build up feel to previous years for me either.

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Much less weird than 2022 in some quite fundamental respects

52 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hmm, I still don't see it as being as any different really.

There's been problems and changes to the poster before - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/apr/26/tiny-fonts-and-big-egos-the-nasty-politics-of-festival-lineup-orders

And the WH headliners have been on the wane the last few additions, apparently down to money spent on huge acts from the US being put on a smaller stage, and they're now more likely to be put on a bigger stage so the cost per audience size ratio is better.

WizKid following Meghan the Stallion... GnR being one of the biggest touring bands around... feel like there's a lot of mild stuff there to call it weird or strange.

Woodsies name change seemed inevitable, so too did Cinemarmeggeddon's trial ending... 

Not sure about missing out on significant touring artists or the later build time, but there's been speculation on this website for decades of artists missing out despite them being in the country or having a Glastonbury shaped hole etc. Don't see that as weird either myself.

Also, Mik Artistik missing out could just be a private issue and nothing to do with the festival.

Arcadia is a private company and I'm guessing just want to make money, going to Qatar, it's their decision, nothing to do with Glasto. 

Budget constraints obv because of the cost of living and inflation, but that's a global problem from the US to Germany, nothing different there really aside from Glasto have to live within their means, so to say.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Good summary.

It definitely doesn’t have the same build up feel to previous years for me either.

maybe relates a bit to your personal circumstances too ? did I see you are sorted now ? havent quite figured out what happened ? 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

trial ? things change obviously but it was never a trial that ive seen ? 

Just in terms of them wanting to have a new area and it not having the impact that they wanted, so they ended it.*

*if it's actually true that it's gone, still don't know that 100%.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Just in terms of them wanting to have a new area and it not having the impact that they wanted, so they ended it.*

*if it's actually true that it's gone, still don't know that 100%.

we do . its gone ... its been removed from the Glastonbury site 

Edited by Crazyfool01

32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

maybe relates a bit to your personal circumstances too ? did I see you are sorted now ? havent quite figured out what happened ? 

Quite possibly but there does seem to be a different vibe in the build up this time around. It doesn’t look like I’m the only one who has felt that either.

I’m not sorted entry wise. As it stands I don’t have a ticket. However, I have irons in the fire. Likely if the stars were to align and I find myself on the farm it’ll be a last minute “get to site in the next couple of hours and we can get you in” sort of call I’ll receive. Must admit it’s added a new complexity to it all and is actually making me quite excited!

I’ve got the Friday of the festival booked off so watch this space.

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Quite possibly but there does seem to be a different vibe in the build up this time around. It doesn’t look like I’m the only one who has felt that either.

I’m not sorted entry wise. As it stands I don’t have a ticket. However, I have irons in the fire. Likely if the stars were to align and I find myself on the farm it’ll be a last minute “get to site in the next couple of hours and we can get you in” sort of call I’ll receive. Must admit it’s added a new complexity to it all and is actually making me quite excited!

I’ve got the Friday of the festival booked off so watch this space.

All the best with that ... hopefully catch you onsite and hopefully the vibe will change too as excitement creeps in 🙂 

36 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I also believe it's different. I'm uneasy with the budget cuts. I'm not saying they're avoidable, just that I feel the impact compared to recent years will be evident once the full line up is with us.

The CoL and everything has definitely had an impact, though I'm hoping that it's just a one off. That said, I am preparing myself for Glastonbury to be a more reserved experience as far as spectacle goes.

I said in the carhenge thread that I'll take a whelming year of Glastonbury if it helps secure it's future because fundamentally, the magic of the place will still be there, the people who make the fesitval what it is will still be there, there's still some of the biggest acts around playing and although it may be one of the weaker lineups this year, there's still a fair few diamonds in the rough.

4 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

The CoL and everything has definitely had an impact, though I'm hoping that it's just a one off. That said, I am preparing myself for Glastonbury to be a more reserved experience as far as spectacle goes.

I said in the carhenge thread that I'll take a whelming year of Glastonbury if it helps secure it's future because fundamentally, the magic of the place will still be there, the people who make the fesitval what it is will still be there, there's still some of the biggest acts around playing and although it may be one of the weaker lineups this year, there's still a fair few diamonds in the rough.

Yes, a sensible view.