BRITs 2023

stanh

51 minutes ago, Neil said:

The grammies should be embaressed to have Beyoncé as their biggest ever winner. Cos its not like she's the most important musical artist ever, is it? 

this morning  I mentioned the grammies biggest ever winner to a couple of geezers i know who played at first pilton festival ( they've recently retired after a 50 year career in music), and they weren't impressed.

"Beyince? whats that, a type of hoover for the missus?!"

we laughed and laughed and had some zider and laughed some more

I thought I heard one of the blokes say 'oh you've posted this in the BRITs thread by accident' but by then we were too merry to care

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Finger On The Pulse said:

this morning  I mentioned the grammies biggest ever winner to a couple of geezers i know who played at first pilton festival ( they've recently retired after a 50 year career in music), and they weren't impressed.

"Beyince? whats that, a type of hoover for the missus?!"

we laughed and laughed and had some zider and laughed some more

I thought I heard one of the blokes say 'oh you've posted this in the BRITs thread by accident' but by then we were too merry to care

Account created twenty minutes ago just to troll. 

11 minutes ago, Finger On The Pulse said:

Just popping over from the fanclub of previous largest grammy winner — Hungarian composer Georg Solti — who we can all agree is a much bigger star than Biyonce. the biggest, in fact

Embaressing for the grammies and for the grannies ^^^^.

Edited by Neil

2 hours ago, Neil said:

The grammies should be embaressed to have Beyoncé as their biggest ever winner. Cos its not like she's the most important musical artist ever, is it? 

There number of categories may have increased over the years, which would obviously give a more contemporary artist an advantage but there's no doubt in twenty years time, we'll be looking back at Beyonce in the same way that we've done for Aretha Franklin, Madonna, Whitney Houston, etc. Fully deserves to be mentioned amongst such hallowed company. And I say that as someone who doesn't listen to her music. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Beyonce Fully deserves to be mentioned amongst such hallowed company.

i don't disagree, i just find it strange shes more lauded by the industry, than elvis  (for example) was? there's plenty of artists that could have a case made for beinbg more important.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i don't disagree, i just find it strange shes more lauded by the industry, than elvis  (for example) was? there's plenty of artists that could have a case made for beinbg more important.

Praise, awards, publicity, recognition. Perpetually fuels the hype train, keeps the money rolling in, not just for the artist but the 100s of organisations and individuals that make money from them. In this case, she's a credible artist who deserves her success and stature. The same can't be said for all who ride the wheel of fame. Award shows like the Grammy's need the likes of Beyonce to keep them relevant and they give her an additional global platform for even greater exposure. It's mutually beneficial. It's no coincidence that the world tour goes on sale a day after she's named the most successful Grammy artist of all time. If Elvis were alive today, or the Beatles still around, they'd be on the same business model.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

The grammys didn't exist for the first couple of years of his commercial success and after that they didn't really award rock and roll. 

He got lots of awards later, including from the rock and roll hall of fame.

Of course he didn't necessarily play such an active part in writing his most successful songs as the others you're comparing him to - not that it ever stopped him and the colonel getting a handsome slice of the profits. 

https://www.musicalmum.com/did-elvis-write-any-songs/

45 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The grammys didn't exist for the first couple of years of his commercial success and after that they didn't really award rock and roll. 

He got lots of awards later, including from the rock and roll hall of fame.

Of course he didn't necessarily play such an active part in writing his most successful songs as the others you're comparing him to - not that it ever stopped him and the colonel getting a handsome slice of the profits. 

https://www.musicalmum.com/did-elvis-write-any-songs/

Love the colonel and his special blend of herbs and spices, and that fried chicken. Deserves lots of awards. 😄

11 hours ago, Neil said:

Indeed. Guns n Roses have had 4 nominations and no wins. Criminal.😉

Edited by danbailey80

12 hours ago, Neil said:

I think there weren't as many awards shows back then so it's not really a comparison. She is a massively influential artist though for younger people. You only have to look at Lizzo and Adele when they talk about her to know how she is important to them. Also I think it's great to see a black female as the most awarded. 

Elvis was doing nothing that he hadn't seen Sister Rosetta Tharpe do so it's great to see a black woman rightfully lauded. 

• Upvote 1