2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

2 minutes ago, domjon said:

Have Brian Jonestown Massacre ever shown their face at EOTR? Noticed they're headlining Manchester psyche fest the same weekend. Going to see em Saturday as it happens 

No they haven't. That must have just been announced, last I looked at Psych Fest the bill was, well, the current line-up but without BJM, in other words without the big international acts they had last year.

1 minute ago, SweepingTheNation said:

No they haven't. That must have just been announced, last I looked at Psych Fest the bill was, well, the current line-up but without BJM, in other words without the big international acts they had last year.

Ah perhaps a chance they pop down to Dorset then

17 minutes ago, domjon said:

Have Brian Jonestown Massacre ever shown their face at EOTR? Noticed they're headlining Manchester psyche fest the same weekend. Going to see em Saturday as it happens 

I'm really surprised they've never played before - maybe Simon's not much of a fan? Think they'd go down a storm in an early evening Woods Stage slot in the sunshine.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

BJM can be shambolic live. Although Bright Eyes played last year.

I think they are less so now? I saw them a couple of times back when Joel was in the band and both times they had a bust up stormed off stage!

Would be a solid booking for this year.

51 minutes ago, benali said:

I think they are less so now? I saw them a couple of times back when Joel was in the band and both times they had a bust up stormed off stage!

Would be a solid booking for this year.

Can't read it but there's a paywalled Times article reviewing one of their recent gigs - 2 out of 5, "when a rockstar goes to war with his audience" (!)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-brian-jonestown-massacre-review-when-a-rock-star-goes-to-war-with-his-audience-b8z5r7gh5

I've never seen them, would be up for it if they got added.

3 hours ago, suttttttt said:

First timer tempted by the line up this year! When do we usually get another announcement? Definitely agree a couple more established names are needed but it’s a promising start. Also any tips are massively welcome

There will be at least one more top-up announcement of size, and I'd expect a decent quota of mid- to upper- range names to be included, and at least one more headliner, in line with announcements from previous years: this should answer some of the complaints in this area. I still feel Big Thief may feature, particularly in view of their links with other artists already announced. On the other hand, of course, this may be complete bollocks. I agree what you say about tips, and jars are prominently displayed at all the festival bars. 

4 hours ago, suttttttt said:

First timer tempted by the line up this year! When do we usually get another announcement? Definitely agree a couple more established names are needed but it’s a promising start. Also any tips are massively welcome

My first time too - so making it up as I go along - I get the impression from the good people here that there's almost 30 acts yet to be announced.  That should be a decent haul of extra stuff worth seeing.  I'm assuming that most of the smaller acts are on the lineup already (great for us to be able to start exploring them, and good for them as it gives them more exposure).  I think the logic is that the bigger stuff unannounced are all trying to sell tickets to their own shows, so they can't be on too many festival lineups just yet.

The Smile still in the running?  Think I saw dates in the US for early Summer posted earlier, plenty of time for them to be back here (similar to King Giz)

10 minutes ago, p.pete said:

My first time too - so making it up as I go along - I get the impression from the good people here that there's almost 30 acts yet to be announced.  That should be a decent haul of extra stuff worth seeing.  I'm assuming that most of the smaller acts are on the lineup already (great for us to be able to start exploring them, and good for them as it gives them more exposure).  I think the logic is that the bigger stuff unannounced are all trying to sell tickets to their own shows, so they can't be on too many festival lineups just yet.

The Smile still in the running?  Think I saw dates in the US for early Summer posted earlier, plenty of time for them to be back here (similar to King Giz)

I don't get why so many seem to think playing American dates in July makes them much more likely. Literally any British band in Britain over that weekend might play.

I don't know how much we can read into this idea that artists are restrictive based on their own dates because it doesn't often actually come up and festival slots will in the vast majority of cases be announced regardless of anything else. Unknown Mortal Orchestra announced UK dates in May and June after being confirmed for EOTR.

Walkmen tickets are still available for all three Koko dates, by the way. So much for the extra night being added due to demand.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

19 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Think it's highly unlikely The Smile featuring,  saying that I did say there was no chance Future Islands playing

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Think it's highly unlikely The Smile featuring,  saying that I did say there was no chance Future Islands playing

Thank you

56 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I don't get why so many seem to think playing American dates in July makes them much more likely. Literally any British band in Britain over that weekend might play.

Erm, I asked if they are 'still in the running?', while pointing out their US dates end in July.  It's Friday, chill, have a brew.