Brixton Crush

gfa

7 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Dont want to dig up an Ariana thread that prob exists but the final findings of the bombing have come out

and nothing of it is anything like the right wing nutters trope of mi5 allowing it to happen for reasons.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gfa said:

Absolute disaster this, really think there's no way back for Brixton. From reports it just seems like the failings were so widespread, the official report comes out next month this article says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65062392

Awful that its taken so long for the body to be released. 

I think Brixton will reopen before the end of the year but there will be massive widespread changes in the running of it possibly even new owners and a change in licensing. Wouldn't surprise me if they lose their licence for late events for example. 

20 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Awful that its taken so long for the body to be released. 

I think Brixton will reopen before the end of the year but there will be massive widespread changes in the running of it possibly even new owners and a change in licensing. Wouldn't surprise me if they lose their licence for late events for example. 

They hardly do the late night events anyway, how many days is it allowed currently? Feels like there's not even 1 a month

Shame if so as its the biggest venue in London that does late night stuff isn't it - well with Printworks going too but thats djs only

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Such a shame if this goes....fuck

52 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

WTF!

aren’t we supposed to have some kind of night czar, to stand up for the entertainment sector in this city.
This has upset me so much. 

yeah awful news. tragic all round.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 'night czar' doing anything of note on this. That pay rise was a disgrace

8 minutes ago, briddj said:

Surely far more likely the venue is taken on by someone else than closes permanently. 

There's nothing much else that size for live music. 

It's effectively owned by Live Nation. They'll just transfer the control to a different part of their empire and call it a new pair of hands.

17 minutes ago, briddj said:

Surely far more likely the venue is taken on by someone else than closes permanently. 

My wife is meant to be going to a (rescheduled) Turnstile show there in August. Feels unlikely or that it will be switched now?

2 hours ago, briddj said:

Troxy and Hammersmith Apollo have basically the same capacity.

Hopefully it gets sorted though 🙂 no doubt will be a massive campaign to save it should it be deemed properly at risk

47 minutes ago, gfa said:

Troxy and Hammersmith Apollo have basically the same capacity.

Hopefully it gets sorted though 🙂 no doubt will be a massive campaign to save it should it be deemed properly at risk

Hammersmith is, but is far more heavily seated with a larger upstairs area, which is why acts of certain genes go there rather than Brixton.

Troxy is way, way smaller - nearly half the size. 

10 hours ago, briddj said:

Hammersmith is, but is far more heavily seated with a larger upstairs area, which is why acts of certain genes go there rather than Brixton.

Troxy is way, way smaller - nearly half the size. 

ah sorry not sure how i messed up so much with Troxy, thought it was 5k when i looked before but its more like 3.5k

It'll be a real shame if it goes, but surely it's listed? Didn't they try to sell it to a church in the past, but it was not allowed to go through?

For a size comparison: Hammersmith 5040; Brixton 4920; Roundhouse 3300; Troxy 3100; Forum (and it's shit sound) 2300; Shep Bush 2000, as is the new 'Here' at Outernet.

33 minutes ago, Fishman said:

It'll be a real shame if it goes, but surely it's listed? Didn't they try to sell it to a church in the past, but it was not allowed to go through?

For a size comparison: Hammersmith 5040; Brixton 4920; Roundhouse 3300; Troxy 3100; Forum (and it's shit sound) 2300; Shep Bush 2000, as is the new 'Here' at Outernet.

They would likely to keep the facade and gut the rest or something of that essence.

Not sure what else it could really be used for

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

Not arguing with your figures but Hammersmith has always felt a fair bit bigger to me than Brixton.

58 minutes ago, gfa said:

They would likely to keep the facade and gut the rest or something of that essence.

Not sure what else it could really be used for

Quite a few former-cinema-turned-gig-venue places have been taken over by big, evangelical churches. 

Kilburn National, Finsbury Park Rainbow, have both gone that route.

Feels inevitable that the police are going to push for closure, or impose some very stringent licensing conditions, which may make it unviable.  A shame.