KISS

Neil

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, I don’t think Glastonbury are any better than Download in regards to having ageing rockers in their 70s headlining. One is as bad as the other.

Having Elton headline for the first time ever is a bit different to having Kiss-Aerosmith-AC/DC-Black Sabbath on a seemingly rotating loop

4 hours ago, waltere said:

Having Elton headline for the first time ever is a bit different to having Kiss-Aerosmith-AC/DC-Black Sabbath on a seemingly rotating loop

I was more taking about their ages rather than the repeat bookings.

For the record, I’m not defending Download, I’m as fed up as anyone with the pensioners headlining and am delighted that there be some people under 60 on the main stage this year.

To be fair, Download has less options than Glastonbury though.

(Side note, fair point about Sabbath, Aerosmith and Kiss but AC/DC have only played once in Download’s 20 year history)

Edited by rivalschools.price

25 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

For the record, I’m not defending Download, I’m as fed up as anyone with the pensioners headlining and am delighted that there be some people under 60 on the main stage this year.

(Side note, fair point about Sabbath, Aerosmith and Kiss but AC/DC have only played once in Download’s 20 year history)

what do you think brought about your hatred of older people?

7 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

what do you think brought about your hatred of older people?

Haha, no hatred of older people, in fact I’m heading that way myself.

Just that after 35+ years of festivaling, I’d rather see some newer acts than the same old artists who I’ve seen many times in their peak still trying to do it in their 70s.

As earlier stated, this is more of a problem at Download due to the restricted genre options compared to Glastonbury.

9 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Must admit, I also thought Aerosmith had played a ton of times at Download, yet it's only 3. On a par with Muse and 1 less than Coldplay at Glastonbury over the last 20 festivals. 

Went and saw Kiss at the o2 in 2019, more because I'd not seen them and figured it might be the last time. They were OK, some great tunes, found myself clockwatching a couple of times. The idea of that show on the Pyramid doesn't seem good to me. 

By all means, stick Detroit Rock City on in the cinema tent at 2am. 

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

Must admit, I also thought Aerosmith had played a ton of times at Download, yet it's only 3. On a par with Muse and 1 less than Coldplay at Glastonbury over the last 20 festivals. 

Went and saw Kiss at the o2 in 2019, more because I'd not seen them and figured it might be the last time. They were OK, some great tunes, found myself clockwatching a couple of times. The idea of that show on the Pyramid doesn't seem good to me. 

By all means, stick Detroit Rock City on in the cinema tent at 2am. 

They did 2010, 14 and 17 which is very close together. 

3 hours ago, waltere said:

Stand corrected on AC/DC, for some reason I thought they'd done Download multiple times

To be fair, they did play a few times at Donington when it was called Monsters of Rock before Download took over so you may have got mixed up with that.

Saying that, the first one was in 1980 so 3 or 4 times in 43 years isn’t that often haha.

On 12/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, Gnomicide said:

Speaking as a fan, they have some really great songs but also an awful lot of guff. I don't think anyone watches them for their artistic integrity or deep and meaningful lyrics, stick 'em in the rock slot for an hour and give us:

Detroit Rock City
Shout It Out Loud
Heaven's on Fire
Cold Gin
Lick It Up
God of Thunder
Hard Luck Woman
Love Gun
I Was Made for Lovin' You
Black Diamond
Beth
Rock and Roll All Nite

Wot no Crazy Crazy Nights?

On 12/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Joe Deckchair should have put on a greatest hits playlist before arriving if it will be an issue for them that they don't know a lot of the songs 

It is a ridiculous standard for an act that everyone in the audience needs to recognise most of the songs they play but the audience has not made an active attempt to do so.

People where complaining that they didn't know enough McCartney/Beatles songs during the first hour of his set. That's mostly on them, not McCartney

I definitely don't do this with every act I see at the festival. A couple maybe but sometimes I like to go and see something without knowing anything about them. Have seen plenty of sets I've really enjoyed despite not knowing one song beforehand.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I definitely don't do this with every act I see at the festival. A couple maybe but sometimes I like to go and see something without knowing anything about them. Have seen plenty of sets I've really enjoyed despite not knowing one song beforehand.

Same and in some cases having never heard of the act beforehand, e.g. Justice, Chase and Status, Janelle Monae

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Suppose the point really is that Kiss are one of those acts who probably aren't going to be a lot of fun if you don't know the songs...

Can we have Alice Cooper instead? He killed it at Cropredy a few years back.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

@Zoo Music Girlthat's fine as long as you don't complain about not knowing any songs without ever going out of your way to listen to an act beforehand 

Yeah I suppose that's more the point you were making. If you don't listen ahead, you can't complain.

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Suppose the point really is that Kiss are one of those acts who probably aren't going to be a lot of fun if you don't know the songs...

Can we have Alice Cooper instead? He killed it at Cropredy a few years back.

Yes, that was a great gig Alice put on. Think he spends time now with the Hollywood Vampires. He’d be a good heritage act. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's the sign of a really great act if they can sweep you along while knowing nothing about them, though. Love making those discoveries. Don't think Kiss would fall in that bracket.

Me too and it's easier for some genres than others, you don't need to know anything by a jazz or psych band to be blown away. Much harder for a singer songwriter to do it