Stadium Ticket Pricing

stanh

The Eagles pricing has convinced us to get Y Not tickets. We added up, conservative estimates, the cost of seeing the stuff we like on there and just the three headliners add up to around the ticket price for the 4 days, never mind the undercard. A full weekend of music and fun with friends vs one gig...

27 minutes ago, ukmountie said:

What everyone else has said goes for me.

I saw it coming and was excited. Eagles are on my bucket list, being of a certain age, and having Steely Dan on the bill would make it amazing. I know they've both lost members, but we take what we can get.

Looked on setlist and both bands setlists were amazing, not a song I didn't know and at least like, if not love.

But F*ck me! Nosebleed seats at 200quid and I'm out. I had access through the co-op presale yesterday and spent most of the time up until this morning agonizing about it. I really really wanted to go, and am fairly sure that this will be my last chance. Ultimately though the experience on offer for 200quid is to be in the room with a distant view. 300quid to be close enough for my taste and it's just too much.

Goes to show what an absolute bargain Glastonbury still is.

I always come back to this point myself mate, I've broke this rule once but for me as a general rule - if the ticket is more or less to the cost of a glastonbury ticket, its simply not worth it. 

Gutted like, I've seen the setlist myself and its start to finish great songs 

Extreme prices for the eagles has meant that me and my friends, who aren't all that arsed about the eagles, have been priced out of seeing Steely Dan for the last time (Donny Fagen getting close to 80 now). A really shocking price and a shame as would happily spend £100 or so for steely dan in this climate, but can nowhere near justify the £150 for nosebleeds up to £450 for floor seating. I understand a farewell tour may be catered towards veteran fans but these tickets completely price out most if not all younger fans. You could do a lot more with that money, as mentioned, even go to Glasto and have a hundred in change. Mental

Edited by Long Season

18 minutes ago, Long Season said:

Extreme prices for the eagles has meant that me and my friends, who aren't all that arsed about the eagles, have been priced out of seeing Steely Dan for the last time (Donny Fagen getting close to 80 now). A really shocking price and a shame as would happily spend £100 or so for steely dan in this climate, but can nowhere near justify the £150 for nosebleeds up to £450 for floor seating. I understand a farewell tour may be catered towards veteran fans but these tickets completely price out most if not all younger fans. You could do a lot more with that money, as mentioned, even go to Glasto and have a hundred in change. Mental

Floor tickets the price for a decent few days away on holiday

We’re overdue a trip to Manchester to visit family and so have relented. £120 seats in the nosebleeds, but apparently the roof is quite low compared to most arenas, so it won’t be like sitting in the top rows of the O2, where you’ve got a good view of the artists’ bald patches, assuming you brought binoculars.

Eagles & Steely Dan is a great bill, and I paid £80 to see the latter in 2019, so I don’t feel too hard done by

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets for Adele in Munich average well over €250 - a very small number at the very back around €100, the vast majority of seating around the €300 mark, and floor standing averaging €400.   That's ignoring the VIP packages (which exist as well).

Across 10 dates of 80k people each, that's a gross of about €200m.   Nice work if you can get it.

On 2/7/2024 at 3:29 PM, goonerben said:

Tickets for Adele in Munich average well over €250 - a very small number at the very back around €100, the vast majority of seating around the €300 mark, and floor standing averaging €400.   That's ignoring the VIP packages (which exist as well).

Across 10 dates of 80k people each, that's a gross of about €200m.   Nice work if you can get it.

was looking at this myself - simply abhorrent. Pure greed by everyone involved. 

43 minutes ago, emilya1993 said:

was looking at this myself - simply abhorrent. Pure greed by everyone involved. 

I don't disagree, but if it sells out then i suppose its justified. The only way these kinds of ticket prices come down to more reasonable levels is if we all agree that its just too much, don't bother going, and there's only a couple of hundred people in the crowd. (which i'd love to see, as a spectacle and as a grand gesture)

26 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I don't disagree, but if it sells out then i suppose its justified. The only way these kinds of ticket prices come down to more reasonable levels is if we all agree that its just too much, don't bother going, and there's only a couple of hundred people in the crowd. (which i'd love to see, as a spectacle and as a grand gesture)

We'd never get to see it, "unforseen circumstances" or similar would ensure it didn't go ahead. 

33 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

We'd never get to see it, "unforseen circumstances" or similar would ensure it didn't go ahead. 

That's always Kiss' excuse. I'd be fascinated to know how many tickets they sold for the planned gig at Plymouth before it was shitcanned, i bet it was less than a thousand though 

1 hour ago, Dark Star said:

The Def Leppard/Motley Crue show at Wembley this year went ahead with basically these conditions. Must have been 2,000 people there looking at the videos

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Justified in a capitalist system but not so much morally or for anyone with an ounce of reality. 

Agree with the not going bit though as that's the only way it changes. And also appreciate that the cost of touring, using stadiums and so on will be rising for the artists themselves, but Adele's got 80k people over 20 nights if I'm not mistaken? Average ticket price £300 (conservative guess), that's half a billion comfortably. Greed... isn't she a working class hero...? 

I wonder if the shock at the general rise in pricing is shared only by those of us who have been around for a while. I remember buying tix for stadium gigs for £25 (in the 90s), which even if counting on inflation is way less than the £100+ which is now standard. But is it possible that for twenty-somethings, this is just the normal cost of doing business. Expensive for sure, but worth it for the experience.

Is this one of the curses of growing old - we remember how cheap things used to be, and even if we can afford the higher prices, we cannot shake off the feeling that we're being robbed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

You've essentially just said your for airline style pricing on gig tickets

45 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I wonder if the shock at the general rise in pricing is shared only by those of us who have been around for a while. I remember buying tix for stadium gigs for £25 (in the 90s), which even if counting on inflation is way less than the £100+ which is now standard. But is it possible that for twenty-somethings, this is just the normal cost of doing business. Expensive for sure, but worth it for the experience.

Is this one of the curses of growing old - we remember how cheap things used to be, and even if we can afford the higher prices, we cannot shake off the feeling that we're being robbed?

I paid £4.50 to see Bob Marley and that was pushing the boat out for a gig then. 

I think that you can’t compare prices from the past because of how artists now get paid. 
Artists always made their money through selling physical copies of their music and the tour was to promote the album. They only looked to cover the cost of the tour knowing they would make the bucks from increased album sales. 
That is now stood on its head with streaming with most musicians now make their living through touring and very little through streaming/airplay. 

56 minutes ago, gfa said:

You've essentially just said your for airline style pricing on gig tickets

Its the way things are going for big gigs, whether i like it or not. So i look at the price, decide if i can justify it to myself, and if i cant then i dont go. I havnt ever paid over a hundred quid for a gig and i cant think of a band that i would pay that for - thats my hard limit. ( i have a similar thing for football tickets too, i feel quite ill going over £60)

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

That's always Kiss' excuse. I'd be fascinated to know how many tickets they sold for the planned gig at Plymouth before it was shitcanned, i bet it was less than a thousand though 

I believe they could have moved it into the Pavilions and it would've been just short of a sell-out. 
They should've done that, granted they'd have to have done away with some of the pyro and the zip wire, but it'd have been cool to see them somewhere that small. 

2 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

The Def Leppard/Motley Crue show at Wembley this year went ahead with basically these conditions. Must have been 2,000 people there looking at the videos

I'd forgotten about that one. Looking at the seating plan, they didn't bother setting out block's D1 and D2 on the floor which would've been behind the mixing desk. Definitely some gaps in the seating too, not surprised though at the prices they were charging. It must have sold enough for the promoter to not make a loss. Only way that was selling out was if it were a one-off UK show. They did about 4 or 5 IIRC, including Lytham where fans could stand. 

2 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

The contrast between that and Blur the following weekend who had a sold out crowd was incredible.

I wonder if people offset the cost as well by not spending money at the venue. I was at Wembley Arena in December and the bar queues were small, hardly anyone in the crowd seemed to have a drink. 

Roll back a few years everyone seemed to be hammered. 

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It's even weirder in the shorter tenure that I've been going to gigs. First time I saw Muse in 2009 was £45 a ticket for a show at London O2, whereas the same seat for their most recent date at that venue was closer to £145. It's a crazy experience, to say nothing of see it in the US market given whenever I look at tickets for shows over there, the price is always batshit crazy.

Nature of the beast I guess. One thing that the 2021/22 inflation crisis pushed up the expense and also lead to some profiteering attempts to make up for lost 20/21 income, but clearly, people are willing to pay silly money for it.

I'm still yet to fork out over £100 for a single ticket (most I've done was in the 90s for a day ticket to Mad Cool Festival) but I suspect that threshold isn't gonna hold forever. Plus I'm old enough to remember thinking years ago that spending over £75 was a bad idea.

Edited by charlierc